THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hybrid SUV Math

Long story condensed....my wife decided it was time to sell her Hummer H3 and get a replacement. She had no plans to get anything electric. But the SUV that she liked the most was a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and they are only available as a plug-in hybrid. So, after some decisions to be open-minded, it came home with us.

This thread is sharing some technical info about the car. Please, no political opinions that will get it booted to the Clubhouse. We didn't buy it to save the world.

The battery has 26 miles of range which suits her pretty well since most of her driving is short local trips.

A full (0-100%) charge takes a little over 3 hours on 240 volts which works out to be somewhere between $1.25 and $1.50 at our electric rates (9.2 cents per kWh) for 26 miles of range.

The Hummer used to take her pretty consistently $60 a week in gas at something like 18-ish mpg.

The Jeep is advertised to get 23 mpg on gas but there's no good way to calculate that since the hybrid drive is constantly mixing gas power and electric power. But looking at the pair of trips to the gas station, it's using about $22 a week in gas. The latest electric bill, which encompasses 4 weeks of the Jeep charging, looks like we've used about $30 extra in electric compared to typical usage. So that translates to $7.50 a week in added electric cost.

Final total: Jeep costs $30 a week to drive vs. the H3 at $60 a week.

Conclusions: the better gas mpg helps and the electric for short trips is cheaper than gas.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 06-04-2023, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The other thing she really enjoys.....only 1/3 of the trips to the gas station.

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 06-04-2023, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is 23 mpg the milage it gets when it is not plugged in at night? I assume you don’t have to plug that in at night when it is not at home? And would never stop at a EV charging station either. Plug in is just for at home?

My wife’s drives a 18’ GMC Arcadia, similar class vehicle. With it’s V6, it gets 20 to 25 mpg. The biggest thing that drives me crazy is going somewhere in the city I have to look at the licence plate to see which car is ours. Same color, wheels, everything. Soooo many like it. You may find that also. Lol. Hummer would not be a problem!

Last edited by Jay S; 06-04-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A plug in hybrid makes more sense to me than an EV. It let's you get by on electric power for short commutes, but let's you travel anywhere without the associated problems of an EV.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's FIAT technology, what could go wrong?

Old 06-04-2023, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting.

Forgive my ignorance but..

- Will it recharge it's own battery if you drove longer distances? Do you have to plug it in every night or does that simply reduce the fuel usage and deliver a lower operating cost?

- What is the "reduction in gas cost" you experienced? What is the "effective" mpg for her typical driving if you remove the cost of electricity? How many gallons of gas are you replacing every month?

- What amp capacity does the 240 outlet need to provide? 30? 50?

- Did you already have a 240 outlet or did you need to add a circuit?

thanks,

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 02:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Congrats on the hybrid purchase.

Not sold on the full electric concept (at this point in time).
Know quite a few happy with the Hybrid vehicles to date.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Thanks for posting.

Forgive my ignorance but..

- Will it recharge it's own battery if you drove longer distances? Do you have to plug it in every night or does that simply reduce the fuel usage and deliver a lower operating cost?

- What is the "reduction in gas cost" you experienced? What is the "effective" mpg for her typical driving if you remove the cost of electricity? How many gallons of gas are you replacing every month?

- What amp capacity does the 240 outlet need to provide? 30? 50?

- Did you already have a 240 outlet or did you need to add a circuit?

thanks,

Mike
This answers some of your questions:

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe plug-in hybrid charging & range

The Jeep Cherokee 4xe has a 17.3-kWh battery pack positioned under the rear seat. Jeep states that the vehicle uses about 15 kWh of that stored energy.

The 4xe’s relatively fast onboard 7.4-kWcharger means the pack can be charged from empty to full in about 2.5 hours. To achieve that charging speed, electric vehicle drivers should install a capable 32-amp charging station such as the JuiceBox 32. Using the JuiceBox 32 with a 240-volt supply of home energy is much faster than Jeep’s Level 1 charging cord, which requires 12 hours for a full charge via a 120-volt trickle charge.

The EPA-estimated fuel economy is 56 MPGe when there’s battery charge. The total driving range on both electricity and gasoline is 470 miles. A Max Regen feature increases the battery’s ability to recharge while coasting and provides a one-pedal electric vehicle feel.

The key to achieving sustained 56 MPGe efficiency is to charge throughout the day. In other words, multiple daily charging sessions extend the vehicle’s all-electric range beyond those 25 miles of range on a single charge. With the JuiceBox32, 4xe owners can add about 10 miles of range for every hour that it’s plugged in.

The vehicle comes standard with a connected “My eCharge feature.” This allows drivers to find the location of public charging stations, start the charging process, and pay for the electrons.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe does not have quick charging, since it is unnecessary for a plug-in hybrid with a 17.3-kWh battery pack that drivers can top-up in two and a half hours.

Jeep created a dedicated 4xe Charging Network consisting of solar-powered public Level 2 charging stations positioned at off-road trailheads throughout the United States. The locations include the Rubicon Trail and Big Bear in California and Moab, Utah. The 20-plus-mile electric range allows 4xe drivers to traverse the entire Rubicon Trail in silent, zero-emission mode.

https://www.enelxway.com/us/en/resou...d-cherokee-4xe

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if i knew a plug-in hybrid would be as reliable as my 6.0 2500HD, i would buy one tomorrow. The idea of cheap local commuting with the range of a gas vehicle has no drawbacks other than the potential for reliability issues.

Old 06-04-2023, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
This answers some of your questions:

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe plug-in hybrid charging & range

The Jeep Cherokee 4xe has a 17.3-kWh battery pack positioned under the rear seat. Jeep states that the vehicle uses about 15 kWh of that stored energy.

The 4xe’s relatively fast onboard 7.4-kWcharger means the pack can be charged from empty to full in about 2.5 hours. To achieve that charging speed, electric vehicle drivers should install a capable 32-amp charging station such as the JuiceBox 32. Using the JuiceBox 32 with a 240-volt supply of home energy is much faster than Jeep’s Level 1 charging cord, which requires 12 hours for a full charge via a 120-volt trickle charge.

The EPA-estimated fuel economy is 56 MPGe when there’s battery charge. The total driving range on both electricity and gasoline is 470 miles. A Max Regen feature increases the battery’s ability to recharge while coasting and provides a one-pedal electric vehicle feel.

The key to achieving sustained 56 MPGe efficiency is to charge throughout the day. In other words, multiple daily charging sessions extend the vehicle’s all-electric range beyond those 25 miles of range on a single charge. With the JuiceBox32, 4xe owners can add about 10 miles of range for every hour that it’s plugged in.

The vehicle comes standard with a connected “My eCharge feature.” This allows drivers to find the location of public charging stations, start the charging process, and pay for the electrons.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe does not have quick charging, since it is unnecessary for a plug-in hybrid with a 17.3-kWh battery pack that drivers can top-up in two and a half hours.

Jeep created a dedicated 4xe Charging Network consisting of solar-powered public Level 2 charging stations positioned at off-road trailheads throughout the United States. The locations include the Rubicon Trail and Big Bear in California and Moab, Utah. The 20-plus-mile electric range allows 4xe drivers to traverse the entire Rubicon Trail in silent, zero-emission mode.

https://www.enelxway.com/us/en/resou...d-cherokee-4xe

I am struggling a bit to understand why anyone out and about would stop during the day to charge a battery that goes 26 miles??? That is the funniest thing I have read for awhile!

The trail charging stations sound cool.

Old 06-04-2023, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I am struggling a bit to understand why anyone out and about would stop during the day to charge a battery that goes 26 miles??? That is the funniest thing I have read for awhile!

The trail charging stations sound cool.
You wouldn't stop specifically to charge. To me, these vehicles are the best of all worlds. 26 miles isn't very far but would suit our needs for most days plus, if we travelled the east coast like we do half a dozen times a year, it's a regular gas car.

We have a Camry hybrid (non plug in) now, great vehicle but the plug in feature would be awesome.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I think what they meant is for example, you take the kids to school in the morning, then in the afternoon run to the grocery store, then in the evening go out for dinner, you plug in the car at home in between trips. Not that you'll seek out charging stations multiple times during the day.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I understand what they were hoping to accomplish for a recharge between short trips. But it made me chuckle when they talked about public charging stations right after the paragraph on multiply daily charging.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I find the multiple daily charging to be unrealistic. Unless they make a giant wireless battery charger like when you put your cellphone on your charger.

What happens if you don't have a garage? Sounds miserable if you don't and you got back home and it's pouring out and you need to plug in. Or it's snowing and covered in ice.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 09:43 PM

"Conclusions: the better gas mpg helps and the electric for short trips is cheaper than gas.

Eric"
Not meaning to be negative and throw water onto the fire but thought I'd slip this into the equation. Was trading the Hummer for the hybrid an even trade or do you now have a car payment? Just curious. All of a sudden, the overall mileage costs have increased if so, and there is a payback period, but I understand the new convenience and the point you're making.
Many of us do the same in the name of convenience and "saving" money.

Old 06-04-2023, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of good questions that I'll address; roughly in order.

23 mpg is if it was run purely on gas, no electric assist. Plug-in is only practical at home. Charge overnight, make short electric trips during the day. Gas is always an option for longer trips.

Fiat technology seems to work pretty well for now. Long-term concerns noted. Fortunately, most of the GC chassis is the same proven stuff that they've used for years. The hybrid stuff has an 8 year warranty.

I don't know if the battery recharges off of the gas engine on a long trip. It does regenerative braking which recovers a small bit of energy....nothing huge.

The Jeep comes with a "Level 1" charging cord that plugs in a normal 120 volt 20 amp household outlet, draws 16 amps max and will do a full charge in 8 hours. I bought a "Level 2" charging cord to leave in the garage that runs off 240 volts. It draws 16 amps max and does a full charge in 3-3.5 hours. I got lucky that I had an unused 240 volt, 20 amp outlet in the garage where I used to run a small air compressor; so I didn't have to do any electrical upgrades.

We only charge at night. Too much fooling around to chase after a plug all day.

The Jeep dealer has an outdoor charging station. If we didn't have an indoor garage space and it was stormy outside, I personally would skip charging; knowing that good old reliable gas is in there. The nice thing about a hybrid is that you're not a slave to the charging station.

The main point of buying the new GC was that the wife was ready for something new; which doesn't happen very often. The other finalist was a full size Ford Bronco that (after the hybrid tax credit) was $15k more expensive. The "fuel" cost saving is just a nice bonus. Overall cost per mile wasn't a consideration; although she will likely keep it a long time which will spread out the "new car" capital expenditure..

Thanks for the good questions. Hope this helps.

Eric

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeep trivia....you can spot the hybrid models by the blue tow hooks.

Eric

The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 12:01 AM
Senior Chief

Add some solar panels to your home and charrge during the day when the car sits. Free mileage (well not really as there is a cost to recover but you get the idea).

If most your driving is local (low miles) a hybrid or full electric car works out well. However you probably still need a normal engine car for longer trips. For me that is ok, I like having multiple cars.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Jeep trivia....you can spot the hybrid models by the blue tow hooks.

Eric
Jeep has been including all kinds of sneaky little details on their vehicles in recent years. Do a search on 'Jeep Easter Eggs' and you'll find more information - for instance, on some of them there are little images of the classic WWII Jeep hidden in the edges of the window glass, some have images of gecko lizards here and there (to symbolize their ability to get traction anywhere), on some the dead pedal on the driver's floorboard has Morse code embossed in the plastic that spells out "Sand, Snow, Rivers, Rocks."

Old 06-05-2023, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Jeep has been including all kinds of sneaky little details on their vehicles in recent years. Do a search on 'Jeep Easter Eggs' and you'll find more information - for instance, on some of them there are little images of the classic WWII Jeep hidden in the edges of the window glass, some have images of gecko lizards here and there (to symbolize their ability to get traction anywhere), on some the dead pedal on the driver's floorboard has Morse code embossed in the plastic that spells out "Sand, Snow, Rivers, Rocks."
We've found some of the Easter eggs.

Eric

The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post: