Old 06-11-2023, 07:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default 72 Trans am front fender wells and shaker base color?

Hi can you guys tell me the correct colors for the front fender wells and aircleaner base for a 72 trans am? I was thinking it's either semi gloss or gloss black for them and hoping someone could clarify. Thanks

Old 06-12-2023, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont have paint codes or gloss%, if there is a specific sheen i'm sure others will chime in.

but from what ive seen they are more of a satin black, not as glossy as semi gloss. same for the shaker base and other under hood items, too glossy of black looks tacky on most parts on these cars IMO.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The shaker bases were spray painted a semi-gloss black and should appear just a bit glossier than the front inner fender wells. The fender wells, like the radiator supports were dipped in an enamel float over water base, so the glossiness will vary some from batch to batch. You could still call it semi-gloss black, just not quite as glassy as the air cleaner bases (or the radiators).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Transamric For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, i don't use the terms semi-gloss as there are so many different muted glosses of rattle cans. They are what they are.

Originally, the '68-mid 70's aircleaner bases & lids were quite glossy, just not 100% gloss black. Last time went through this I bought a gal of Exalta (prev Dupont) enamel, hardener, & flattening agent. Then we poured off 2 pints cans, & flattened the black some. we ended up around 80-85% gloss black for two dual snorkel asms. on 4 inner fenders & one coresupport we mixed more paint & a higher degree of flattener. two of the inner fenders & the coresupport were for an Arlington plant 70 GTO & we desired a little glossier black than what I'm using on my 72 T/A inner fenders.

Where Ive noticed so many fail is painting all the underhood large black finished components, including the cowl, the exact same shade of black, often out of a rattlecan. On a beater driver, near partscar, that does not bother me, but on a serious showcar, quite a bit of study needs to be taken, to get the shade of gloss correct. On '68-72 Pontiac 4bbl aircleaners I have a large supply, with several being off very low mile cars & put up. Also have several that are NOS boxed from the early 70's. One thing I've noticed over pulling original aircleaner asms over the last 4 decades is the later 70's Pontiac 400 and even the '80 turbo 301 aircleaners i have had put up since the mid 80's are not quite as high a gloss level of black.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys. I sandblasted the fender wells and put them in 2k Diamont black epoxy primer. The epoxy actually has a lower luster gloss that looks pretty nice so I am considering leaving that on there since it is durable and won't be exposed to UV light.

IAs far as the shaker base. That is currently in the same epoxy but I may coat that with something else.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Personally, i don't use the terms semi-gloss as there are so many different muted glosses of rattle cans. They are what they are.

Originally, the '68-mid 70's aircleaner bases & lids were quite glossy, just not 100% gloss black. Last time went through this I bought a gal of Exalta (prev Dupont) enamel, hardener, & flattening agent. Then we poured off 2 pints cans, & flattened the black some. we ended up around 80-85% gloss black for two dual snorkel asms. on 4 inner fenders & one coresupport we mixed more paint & a higher degree of flattener. two of the inner fenders & the coresupport were for an Arlington plant 70 GTO & we desired a little glossier black than what I'm using on my 72 T/A inner fenders.

Where Ive noticed so many fail is painting all the underhood large black finished components, including the cowl, the exact same shade of black, often out of a rattlecan. On a beater driver, near partscar, that does not bother me, but on a serious showcar, quite a bit of study needs to be taken, to get the shade of gloss correct. On '68-72 Pontiac 4bbl aircleaners I have a large supply, with several being off very low mile cars & put up. Also have several that are NOS boxed from the early 70's. One thing I've noticed over pulling original aircleaner asms over the last 4 decades is the later 70's Pontiac 400 and even the '80 turbo 301 aircleaners i have had put up since the mid 80's are not quite as high a gloss level of black.
'ol Pinion is spot on, on both the air cleaner base (high gloss) and the number of opinions on percentages of gloss for the engine bay...there are countless forum posts you can search for reference

Below is the air cleaner black I settled on after spending far too much time doing my own research

Can anyone share a simple formula they used for the engine bay that I could walk into a local PPG store to mix?! It shouldn't be this difficult. Ugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734 (2).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	614837  

Old 06-26-2023, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Over the years I've tried just about every "underwood black" paint on the market, and I don't think any of them are correct, although some get close. Way back when I did my Castillian Bronze 70 Formula (circa 2009), I used PPG 9266, which a board member told me was the original paint used by GM. I think I used that paint on the core support, inner fender wells, and all the pulleys and brackets. I did not use it on the air cleaner, since that should have a higher gloss.

Unfortunately, I don't think PPG makes the toners for this paint anymore.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...mula+400+build

Old 06-26-2023, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The original paint on many items was cheap alkalyd enamel which starts to fade in months.
As OPH said, its about 80% on air cleaner base to look correct.
The original paints were THIN. Unless you use a modern lacquer, its tough to get 2 stage or enamel to " look the exact part"