Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just as an observation: With the Cal-Tracs and other suspension mods, many of the quickest Stockers are using wheelie bars to keep the front end down some.

So, it doesn't appear that the extra weight of the aftermarket blocks makes any significant difference. Scott Burton has the heavy block & still NEEDS the wheelie bar.

From some of the wheelies Randi Lyn has pulled, looks like maybe she could use a wheelie bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scott Burton .jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	480781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scott Burton '14  US Nationals.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	480782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Randi Lyn Shipp.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	480784  

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-16-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Yeah, that looks like a '71-'74 Pontiac, with the "smokestack" removed from the vent. Cliff & others can probably make a more accurate ID.

You can see that there is no linkage rod from the vac pull-off to the rear air flap. Don't know if that's the way most Stock races run their Q-jet, or not. I would think that might allow it to open too quickly. But, I obviously know very little about highly competitive Stockers.

Here are pics of the Q-jets on Scott Burton's GT Super Stocker, and Don Kennedy's GT Super Stocker. They both have the smokestack AND the linkage rod from pull-off to rear flap.
Scott was explaining how his (and likely all stockers) leave the line. Something to do with electronics. Your foot is on the floor before the light goes green, There is essentially no throttle transition during a pass...which we all know, I just don't know about how things worked leaving the line...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Block lightening will allow you to put weight where it is desired at that track on that day.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Remember , that Randi Lyn's car is very Fast & has the best of everything & she is a Very Good Driver !!! The car is a Show piece and they are good people ... Back about 5-6 years ago they let Pontiac's use 750+800 CFM GM side -inlet , because you couldn't find good cores anymore !!! But only the Ram-Air engine can use the 71 Fast carb in Stock !!! That is the first thing they check when going thru Tech ??? The block has an advantage went you start getting above 6,500 RPM in Stock , bye the way Chevys, Ford & Mopar have had them for years !!! You are right Stock & S/S aren't cheap , but you don't need the best of everything to Win or have fun ?
Really depends on what your budget is or you can afford ? Not everyone has an enclose trailer , I still use an open trailer because of the cost & I want to Race !!! We all have different Wants & Needs ??? So it can be done and budget Races are doing everyday & having Fun !!!!

Old 04-20-2018, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Yeah, that looks like a '71-'74 Pontiac, with the "smokestack" removed from the vent. Cliff & others can probably make a more accurate ID.

You can see that there is no linkage rod from the vac pull-off to the rear air flap. Don't know if that's the way most Stock races run their Q-jet, or not. I would think that might allow it to open too quickly. But, I obviously know very little about highly competitive Stockers.

Here are pics of the Q-jets on Scott Burton's GT Super Stocker, and Don Kennedy's GT Super Stocker. They both have the smokestack AND the linkage rod from pull-off to rear flap.
The vacuum can on end of linkage rod does indeed affect opening rate. (Thermoquads too). I found if you loosen flap spring to just above tension required to consistently close flap it NORMALLY causes a bog.

However, if you open restriction in vacuum can AND add a fine adjustment valve (quality filter "bubble" regulator from aquarium supply store) you can then tune the opening rate for no bog or any rate you want and keep flap tension spring at a minimum tension.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks !

Dave, THANKS for posting ! We really appreciate your input. You've been there & done it, whereas my experience is VERY limited.

"...only the Ram-Air engine can use the 71 Fast carb in Stock !!!"

So, are you referring to the one without the outer booster rings ? And are we talkin about just the 455HO with RA ?

About your '77 Bird record holder: Did you always run a 400 or did you run a 350 or both ? Did you try both the 180hp & the 200hp 400 engines ?

Are you gonna run the Lemans & your son run the Bird this year ? Do both cars run the same engine combo ?

Please feel free to share anything that will help us to know more about Stock class racing.

Thanks again !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'77 Formy N-SA Record Holder.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	481182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave Makes Some Smoke.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	481183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave Ribeiro.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	481184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave @ Final Div 2 Race '17 .jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	481185  

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-20-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Randi Lyn just turned a 10.38 !

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...er=30#indextop

Old 04-20-2018, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Randi Lyn just cut a .012 light & ran a 10.403 on her 10.40 dial. That package will win most rounds.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...er=30#indextop

Old 04-20-2018, 06:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice!