WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:23 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KVman389:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
I think we should pull off the old GTO emblems and replace them with Tempest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least the Tempest wasn't an import <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, now we get to the route of your problem with
these cars. Imports. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is no secret here that yes, this car is an import, and that is my argument with it. You obviously like to pick on Tempests. At least Pontiac Started with a Pontiac platform, upgraded with a Pontiac motor, and continued to call it a Pontiac. This time around, GM went overseas for the platform. Pontiac had nothing to place under the hood, So they put a chevy engine in it. Evidently in some peoples minds, Monaro+Chevy=Pontiac . Just for the record, I've never belittled this cars performance, just it's heritage.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KVman389:
It is no secret here that yes, this car is an import, and that is my argument with it. You obviously like to pick on Tempests. At least Pontiac Started with a Pontiac platform, upgraded with a Pontiac motor, and continued to call it a Pontiac. This time around, GM went overseas for the platform. Pontiac had nothing to place under the hood, So they put a chevy engine in it. Evidently in some peoples minds, Monaro+Chevy=Pontiac . Just for the record, I've never belittled this cars performance, just it's heritage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. It ain't 1964 anymore. Get over it. GM is a GLOBAL company.
2. Pontiac, nor Chevy, nor Caddy make engines anymore. GM Powertrain is responsible for engine development.
3. '64 GTO took it's "HERITAGE" from a racing series that no old GTO ever took part in and it basically belittled the Ferrari GTO that did race. The new GTO takes it's name off the old Pontiac GTO and the new one is actually raced competivly.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:08 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mo:
Magnacharger+NO2+04GTO=lots of IRS pieces on the ground . Just ask the Cobra boys. You don't really think those toothpicks they call axles will hold up do ya. At least when it does go boom you won't have to worry about puting a hole in the gas tank

Also if we are to compare apples to apples the badges on my 68 GTO are much nicer. Thats the only thing they really have in common <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, like you would do those mods and not upgrade your driveline etc. As far as the badges being nicer. That is purely your opinion. Doesn't make it right or wrong.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 AM

I don't like to pick on Tempests, although,
come on, look at um, they scream BORING!
I just take exception to your attacks on the
04 GTO. As far as heritage, you might want to
see where GTO actually came from. We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's cool. That's what makes the world go around dude!
Old 07-07-2004, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Holden is as good as anything else GM currently sells.
Mr_GTO, theres a reason you havent seen the specs on my car. But I will give you a taste. Power to weight in the 5 pounds/HP range (without a power adder). And there is a power adder on the car. Nearly 50/50 weight distribution (within a few percent) with 275 front tires and 345 rears (18"). The rest of the car follows this basic theme. I guess its referred to as a pro-touring car. And 2, 3, 400 mile jaunts wont be a problem. It will cruise at 85 only turning 2300 rpm (5 speed with OD), playing whatever CD you feel like listening to. And I can gas it up anyplace that sells 91 premium pump.
You guys like to play a one sided game. The Holden benefits from 30 years of technological advancement, and anytime we try to apply any of this technology to our classics you whine about originality. Screw that.
In case you have forgotten (or like the younger ones here, are just learning), hot rods are modified vehicles. The modifications are to make improvements, as the technology becomes available. Whine all you want, and play make believe about blowers and NOS if that makes you feel better. But I deal in reality, and the reality is the old cars with the new technology have big advantages over the new stuff. But you have to build those yourself, and few have the talent or patience. Anybody can get into a no money down, 7 years to pay deal. Anybody.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:31 AM

I don't like to pick on Tempests, although,
come on, look at um, they scream BORING!
I just take exception to your attacks on the
04 GTO. As far as heritage, you might want to
see where GTO actually came from. We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's cool. That's what makes the world go around dude! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll agree to agree to disagree, and yes I know the letters g t o are not a Pontiac original. As I've stated before, those who do-do, and those who don't-don't. That also helps the world go around. Take care, and have a good day.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

I don't like to pick on Tempests, although, boring

Same can be said for the Holden....it's a matter of taste, or in some cases, lack of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-07-2004, 04:27 PM

It is no secret here that yes, this car is an import, and that is my argument with it. You obviously like to pick on Tempests. At least Pontiac Started with a Pontiac platform, upgraded with a Pontiac motor, and continued to call it a Pontiac. This time around, GM went overseas for the platform. Pontiac had nothing to place under the hood, So they put a chevy engine in it. Evidently in some peoples minds, Monaro+Chevy=Pontiac . Just for the record, I've never belittled this cars performance, just it's heritage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez, wake up! The Trans Am has used the same engine as the Camaro for at least 15 years, and probably longer than that; and at one point was available with the Buick 3.8 liter turbo v6. The f-bodies are produced in Canada, not the United States, so they're imports, too. If you want a car built in America, go buy a BMW 3-series, they're made in Georgia; or a Honda Civic, they're made in Ohio; or a Toyota Camry, they're made in California.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:26 PM

some here just embarrass themselves with their logic... or in some cases, lack of it... :P
Old 07-08-2004, 07:01 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stonebreaker:

Geez, wake up! The Trans Am has used the same engine as the Camaro for at least 15 years, and probably longer than that; and at one point was available with the Buick 3.8 liter turbo v6. The f-bodies are produced in Canada, not the United States, so they're imports, too. If you want a car built in America, go buy a BMW 3-series, they're made in Georgia; or a Honda Civic, they're made in Ohio; or a Toyota Camry, they're made in California. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wake up yourself, and read the posts. Who said anything about T/A's? The emdarrassment here is the lack of reading comprehension coupled with a disregard of other peoples opinion. By the way, your forgot to mention Mercedes in Tennessee.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:16 PM

I know what Pontiac needs to cure the sales problem with the new GTO. They need to hire a moderately successful rock group write a song like Ronnie and the Daytona's did in 64 "Little GTO". They would get lots of free advertsing on the radio and make a impact on the sales figures. Maybe they could get Kenny Rogers you know His song YOU GOTTA KNOW WHEN IT'S A HOLDEN KNOW WHEN ITS A GOATEN, KNOW WHEN TO WALK AWAY KNOW WHEN TO DRIVE. If they start thinking outside the box they might make a market for this car. Its the younger guys that they need to market this car to. The same people who bought the Camaro's and the Firebirds are the market they need to explore.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom McQueen:
"This new GTO is one heck of a car! My '67 Goat doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of keeping up with this new car in a straight line or on a twisty circuit."

gtoric, trust me when I tell you that my classic 70 GTO has the Monaro covered in every aspect of performance in spades. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, your point is well taken. With enough expertise and money, a person could build a Yugo that will out accelerate and out handle the new GTO. And I have no doubt that your Goat will indeed best the '04 in the areas that you have listed. All I'm saying is that the new GTO, with 40+ years of technological advancement, will put any original or stock 1-4 gen GTO to shame in the areas of performance and ergonomics/packaging. That doesn't make the old GTOs bad, it just illustrates how good we have it today.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stonebreaker:

Geez, wake up! The Trans Am has used the same engine as the Camaro for at least 15 years, and probably longer than that; and at one point was available with the Buick 3.8 liter turbo v6. The f-bodies are produced in Canada, not the United States, so they're imports, too. If you want a car built in America, go buy a BMW 3-series, they're made in Georgia; or a Honda Civic, they're made in Ohio; or a Toyota Camry, they're made in California. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wake up yourself, and read the posts. Who said anything about T/A's? The emdarrassment here is the lack of reading comprehension coupled with a disregard of other peoples opinion. By the way, your forgot to mention Mercedes in Tennessee. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't you say (in this thread, I might add) that your problem with the GTO is it's an import? Dang, you wrote it down, you should re-read your old posts before you contradict yourself!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:44 AM

stonebreaker, I could care less about the heritage of Firebirds, Camaros, or Buicks over the last 15 years. (yes all GM) I'm talking GTO (Holden) here, NO OTHER MODEL. That was my point.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:56 PM

man, every one is so hostle. If you like the car, you like it. If you don't like the car, you don't like it. personally i could care less weather it has GTO badge or what they call it or if it was imported. I think it's a great car for a reasonable price. I'm just waiting to see how low they will go so maybe I can afford one
Old 10-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, looks like Goathead can't seem to find any thing positive about the New GTO. I think he needs to start a "65 GTO Forum" I think he has espoused his dislike more than enough. I happen to think the '65 is ugly and I prefer the '71,'72. Even so I love my '04 more than any of them including the '71 and '72 I currently own. I have owned Pontiacs for most of my car buying life and I have to admit that until Pontiac came out with this one I had no intention whatsoever on buying another Pontiac. I have owned 76 thru 97 Pontiacs including a '94 GTP (New) and a '97 GTP (new) and swore I would never buy another FWD anything. So I applaud Pontiac for winning me back even though this car may have some aesthetic shortcomings. But it is by far the best car for the money out there. Mr Goathead should go buy an '05 Mustang and quit trying to destroy the excitement of those of us who appreciates an affordable V8 RWD 2dr coupe.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:47 PM

which clown brought this thread back to the top to make it sound like sales are low this month ,

when in fact they are through the roof..
Old 11-04-2004, 02:31 PM

Well, we fianlly voted with our dollars. I had said right along that I didn't like the new GTO's because they looked like so many other small cars, and they showed no nostalgia at all. After all, it's us baby-boomers that may be able to lay down the bucks for a new car and are trying to bring back at least memories of our youth.
We went out Saturday to look for a car for my fiance, one that would fit her sporty appearance and preferences, but still provide creature comforts. She had never bought anything but GM, but nothing GM interested us. (didn't want a 'Vette).
On a whim, stopped in at a Ford dealer. We looked at the T-Bird, sat in it, drove it, loved it and bought it. Has nowhere near the horsepower as the GTO, but that wasn't the important factor. It looks great with just the right combination of current and nostalgic look. The new Mustang also looks great, although I've never favored them. And they're made in the US.
I think Pontiac is way off the mark.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are comparing a T-Bird to a GTO and you think you somehow lost Pontiac a vote. Nowhere would that vote show up on their radar... If you had bought the Mustang, yes that is a slap in the face for Pontiac but some would even argue they are not direct competition. Should have saved yourself 20K and got a Solstice...

Isn't the T-Bird dead after 05? Also would be curious as to what you paid. Last time I saw one it had an LOA of 5K... What a joke that was.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by humbler:
Isn't the T-Bird dead after 05? Also would be curious as to what you paid. Last time I saw one it had an LOA of 5K... What a joke that was. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't have paid much. It's been an "orphan" car since they announced the demise of their "mistake".

The Tbird was pronounced dying back in April of 2003...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>DEARBORN, Mich. -Again marking the end of an era, albeit the same one it ended a few years earlier, Ford Motor Co. says it will retire its retro-styled Thunderbird convertible.

Ford had projected sales of 25,000 per year, but fell well short of that mark. Last year, it sold 19,085, and it has sold just 4,065 through this March, down 21 percent from year-ago levels. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Motor Trend proclaimed this car the "Car of the Year" and fOrD still couldn't sell the number of cars it budgeted.

The GTO has already sold over 9,000 units and hasn't even been available for purchase for 1 year.

Pontiac has plans to improve the GTO - more power, improved styiling, etc which will increase sales.

If you want an old looking car, buy an old car. They won't depreciate like these "nostalgia" cars will.