Old 05-04-2002, 09:03 AM

Outside of the very quick-ratio steering boxes that seem to be what most guys install as an upgrade, what other years/models of steering boxes can be used to provide a slightly quicker ratio without going to the super quick boxes?

Old 05-04-2002, 09:03 AM

Outside of the very quick-ratio steering boxes that seem to be what most guys install as an upgrade, what other years/models of steering boxes can be used to provide a slightly quicker ratio without going to the super quick boxes?

Old 05-04-2002, 09:16 AM
Senior Chief

Hi Mike,
If your talking about power steering boxes, I have used 1970-1972 Olds Cutlass boxes in '69 and older cars. '67 boxes are 17:1 constant ratio where as the '70 Olds boxes are 12:1(I think)Variable ratio. You can usually get these at most salvage yards for a song(under $50). Good alternative to the real fast boxes. You can notice a difference in the steering response.
Hope this helps.
Steven

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
Old 05-04-2002, 05:25 PM

Steve,

Thanks....that's exactly the info I'm looking for....and yes it is for power steering boxes. Do these years have any metric threading and/or glitches with the rag joint or are they pretty much a direct swap?

Old 05-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

Mike,
Metric fittings came about '76,'77 or '78(can't remember exactly).I like to stay around '70-'72,'73.They still have the flared fitting and the rag joint coupling that is the same as our cars. Early TransAm boxes ('71-'73 or '74) are also good choices;If you can find one! After you get a new box in,go and get the alignment changed.
Try to get as much positive caster as your car will allow. I got about 1.5 degrees positive in mine now and the handling with the faster steering was fantastic!!! Find a good alignment man that will work with you in this.
Steven

GTO-The Great One for 1967
Old 05-06-2002, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Your steering box probably is probably 4 1/2 turns left to right. Most all 68-72 GTO's used boxes that were 3 1/2 turns. The quick ratio's being sold are around 2 3/4 turns. Direct bolt in on all GTO power steering boxes.