Old 04-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

Are you willing to post-up a picture of the PHS sheet now for us to gander at?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 AM

...they send lots of info....this is the main one pertaining to the Judge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of ta kke.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	165904  

Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 DAYTONA View Post
...love winged cars, great find, congrats

...thru the years I have owned 4 different winged cars, 2 Daytonas and 2 Birds

...the first Daytona(green) was really in a barn....a local one owner car with only 10K miles...sold it years ago

...second Daytona(red blue) liberated from the original 80 some year old owner....6K miles and was one of 3 dealer installed 6-PACKS known at the time...it was also the first Daytona shipped in the USA

...first Superbird (blue)I purchased from the original 93 year old owner with 10K miles...it later became known as the "Geriatric Superbird"...beautiful survivor, later restored to perfection

...last year I brought home another 6-BBL Bird (Tor Red) I had chased for nearly 30 years...proving, ya live long enough, ya get lucky...it was also found in a small barn in the country

...all four of the winged cars kinda fell into my lap unexpectedly...long stories with each, but not here on the GTO board
I had the opportunity to buy a Vitamin C Orange 1970 Superbird for $10,000 back in 2001, but it needed a complete frame-off restoration and I didn't have the time or place to take on such a project at the time.

With this comes a cool story. While attending an aviation university in Daytona Beach, FL, we would occasionally drive around the airport on a road less traveled by others--of course to drag race. We passed a house painted like a checkered flag and two winged cars caught my eye. Long story short, I eventually met the owner and became friends with him during my time in Daytona. He was the original owner of a white 1970 six-pack, 4-spd, Superbird of which he had just completely restored. In the front yard, were two additional Superbirds, used for parts and possibly a future project.

The best part of the story was the hood of his white Superbird. The hood had the signatures of all the major NASCAR drivers of the current and past times, to include Richard Petty. Just when I was about to raise the BS flag, he pulls out a photo album with individual pictures of him and each driver standing next to the car. He was just about to clear-coat the hood before I graduated and moved. I was lucky enough to have the owner attend one of our university's muscle car meets and ride in the car. It's was one of those moments which I'm sure I'll never have the opportunity to repeat in this lifetime, but damn was it fun!

Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's the one to see for me.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm525 View Post
I had the opportunity to buy a Vitamin C Orange 1970 Superbird for $10,000 back in 2001, but it needed a complete frame-off restoration and I didn't have the time or place to take on such a project at the time.

With this comes a cool story. While attending an aviation university in Daytona Beach, FL, we would occasionally drive around the airport on a road less traveled by others--of course to drag race. We passed a house painted like a checkered flag and two winged cars caught my eye. Long story short, I eventually met the owner and became friends with him during my time in Daytona. He was the original owner of a white 1970 six-pack, 4-spd, Superbird of which he had just completely restored. In the front yard, were two additional Superbirds, used for parts and possibly a future project.

The best part of the story was the hood of his white Superbird. The hood had the signatures of all the major NASCAR drivers of the current and past times, to include Richard Petty. Just when I was about to raise the BS flag, he pulls out a photo album with individual pictures of him and each driver standing next to the car. He was just about to clear-coat the hood before I graduated and moved. I was lucky enough to have the owner attend one of our university's muscle car meets and ride in the car. It's was one of those moments which I'm sure I'll never have the opportunity to repeat in this lifetime, but damn was it fun!

Is this the place?

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Superbird...tonas/pg5.html

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Superbird...tonas/pg9.html

Last edited by 71GP76TA; 04-19-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. The owner's name is Pete. He's sort of a strange fellow, but has some great pictures and stories revolving around the various NASCAR drivers and his Superbirds. The pictures seem to have been taken sometime before I met Pete. In the first link, last picture, you can see his white Superbird in the garage. The green Superbird was worse than in the picture last time I was there. The Vitamin C Orange Superbird was restorable, but didn't have a drivetrain. He also took the wing from the green Superbird and mounted it on his Dodge pickup. If you have a love for the winged cars, stop by and say hi. He also knows a couple retired NASCAR drivers, also living in the area, who use to race on the beach before the Daytona Int'l Speedway was built.

BTW, if I had a garage at the time, that Vitamin C Orange Superbird would have been mine for $10,000.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why go to the trouble of blocking off part of the VIN in one part, while still exposing it in another?

Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Why go to the trouble of blocking off part of the VIN in one part, while still exposing it in another?

...got tired of all the artwork

Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyponchos View Post
69 DAYTONA...are you from the Richmond, IN area? My wife is from there and we only live about one hour south of there right now. We have found some pretty amazing cars that were originally sold from Wells Pontiac. Lots of RAIII and RAIV cars came out of that dealership and seemed to stay local to the area. Congratulations on the find!

It's always neat to hear about other cars that came from the same dealership as yours. I own a 70 Lucerne blue/blue 4 speed T/A that was also sold new in 1970 by Wells Pontiac. The story has it that it was purchased by a university professor when new. An enthusiast by the name of Jerry Strope bought it from Don Ayre's used lot in Fort Wayne in 1978 with only 34,xxx miles. Today it still only reads 39,xxx miles. You never know what memory or story something will trigger!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm525 View Post
Yep. The owner's name is Pete. He's sort of a strange fellow, but has some great pictures and stories revolving around the various NASCAR drivers and his Superbirds. The pictures seem to have been taken sometime before I met Pete. In the first link, last picture, you can see his white Superbird in the garage. The green Superbird was worse than in the picture last time I was there. The Vitamin C Orange Superbird was restorable, but didn't have a drivetrain. He also took the wing from the green Superbird and mounted it on his Dodge pickup. If you have a love for the winged cars, stop by and say hi. He also knows a couple retired NASCAR drivers, also living in the area, who use to race on the beach before the Daytona Int'l Speedway was built.

BTW, if I had a garage at the time, that Vitamin C Orange Superbird would have been mine for $10,000.

Here's another link. The green Superbird still has the wing on it.

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Superbird...tonas/pg1.html

Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Judge View Post
It's always neat to hear about other cars that came from the same dealership as yours. I own a 70 Lucerne blue/blue 4 speed T/A that was also sold new in 1970 by Wells Pontiac. The story has it that it was purchased by a university professor when new. An enthusiast by the name of Jerry Strope bought it from Don Ayre's used lot in Fort Wayne in 1978 with only 34,xxx miles. Today it still only reads 39,xxx miles. You never know what memory or story something will trigger!
Back in the late eighties I used to venture up to Wells Pontiac for their annual all Pontiac show. There was always a large group of very nice cars there, it amazed me how many were original Wells cars. Not sure when Wells closed, had to be in the nineties sometime, I beleive they were a Toyota Dealer at the end. The building is now used for a few businesses I think.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Awesome find! Congrats on the pick up. I also dream of finding a barn car one day. Car looks like it is in stellar shape. Funny that stuff like this can happen right down the road, I was born and raised in Henry county and only live 3 miles from where I grew up. If you plan on taking it out to any car shows or cruise-ins or what not let me know I sure would like to see this beauty in person some time.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrington View Post
Awesome find! Congrats on the pick up. I also dream of finding a barn car one day. Car looks like it is in stellar shape. Funny that stuff like this can happen right down the road, I was born and raised in Henry county and only live 3 miles from where I grew up. If you plan on taking it out to any car shows or cruise-ins or what not let me know I sure would like to see this beauty in person some time.
...hoping to make it's first showing at the New Castle Show in Baker Park this June

...may have to pull it there

Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Super story, Congrats! Interior/Dash look really good, your Judge stripes look like they have the black "Centers" along w/Black Ram Air decals which were standard colors until February. Car has go fast options! Should clean up really nice. My parents owned a restaurant and it always amazed me how much local town information was at our fingertips! Kuddos for the original owner for keeping it indoors during hibernation.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb69judge View Post
Super story, Congrats! Interior/Dash look really good, your Judge stripes look like they have the black "Centers" along w/Black Ram Air decals which were standard colors until February. Car has go fast options! Should clean up really nice. My parents owned a restaurant and it always amazed me how much local town information was at our fingertips! Kuddos for the original owner for keeping it indoors during hibernation.
...thanx,

...the car has a build date of 2-26-69

...interior is near perfect