Old 03-16-2009, 06:00 AM

I had a Friend who got a 1964 GTO from his Father in 1965 as a graduation present. I used to drool over that car. I really started looking into getting one in 1966. But my Dad said no! And I was still not old enough to buy my own. As soon as I turned 18 and could to buy one. I was at the dealership! I bought my first New one 1967 and I have been hooked ever since. I went for about 15 years without one. I finally bought one for my Son and I to restore. He soon lost interest and went into the Service I was stuck with the car and I made the most of it! I now have 2 and I hope to have the 2nd on the road in a couple of years.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was 12 when my dad brought this '66 home in 1982. My mother, 2 sisters, grandfather & I went on a trip to the Worlds Fair in 1982 in Knoxville, TN (dad owned his own business & had a big project to finish, so he couldn't go). When we got home, we were unloading the luggage out of my grandfather's Caddy, I hear this hot rod coming up the street. As it get closer, I see it's a red '66 GTO (it had glass packs on it). Then it pulls up in front of the house & my father is driving it. I asked if it was a customer's car. He said no - he just bought it the day before. I fell in love with it right then & there. I knew it was the car I had to have. It just took me another 24 years to talk him out of it.

After that, he had bought & sold several '64-'67 LeMans, Tempests, & GTOs, as well as several restorations at his shop & his own '64 GTO & '64 Tempest. His '64 GTO was a recreation of his original '64 GTO that he bought new in 1964 (his 1st new car).

I also bought a new GTO in 2004 (my 1st 'new' car). A Quicksilver/RedHot 6 speed car that I have since sold. Kinda wish I still had it.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 04-23-2009, 07:19 PM

It had to be around 1975. I was ten years old and my best friends older brother had a blue '65 GTO with a 4-speed and Tri-power. After he totaled that, he got a '71 in Lucerne blue with a black int., 455 H.O. with a turbo 400, 4:11 posi and a set of Cragars.
Sometimes (if we bugged him enough) he would take us out and do burnouts. For a ten year old, this was the s#!%.
One night after a party, he fell asleep at the wheel and went through a telephone pole and was killed. He was 19. After that he was kind of a ledgend to me and my friends.

Fast forward years later. My friend and I had long since lost touch. While in college, I worked part time at a cemetary not far from where I grew up. One day, I just happened to look down and see the bronze marker that was my friends brothers grave. I told my co-worker how I knew him and the stories of the GTO's and so on.

A few years later, I was watching the movie Dazed and Confused with some friends. When I saw that Orbit Orange Judge. I think it sparked that old GTO flame that was still in me.

A few years ago, I finally found a good project, '70 (the one in my avatar) outside of Baltimore. I went to look at it on a Wednesday night and came back with a trailer that Saturday. The resto is still underway.

Mike.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Suspended

They just grew on me. Before it was GTOs, it was convertible LeMans'es'es. Before it was convertible LeMans'es'es, it was convertible Firebirds'es'es.

I was about 6 when we moved into a neighborhood across from a green 67 or 68 convert bird--white interior with a white top and chrome luggage rack. I remember a white stripe on the car and somethings saying HO or similar. That was the beginning.
Then my dad had a roommate (divorce, not gay-as far as I know) with a 65ish Catalina that still had the plastic bumpy seat cover in it. The three of us kids would go sliding across the back seat everytime dad took a corner.
It was a decade after buying my '69 convertible LeMans that I let the pressure get to me from the people looking down their nose a lowly LeMans. So I bought several crappy GTOs and am presently letting them rot.