Old 04-22-2002, 05:58 AM

All,

I have a 66 gto with auto on column and want to move the shifter to the floor by adding a console. Is there a decent shifter avail. that will work with a 2 spd tranny? Does anyone have a console and shifter that is good enough to bolt in??

Old 04-22-2002, 05:58 AM

All,

I have a 66 gto with auto on column and want to move the shifter to the floor by adding a console. Is there a decent shifter avail. that will work with a 2 spd tranny? Does anyone have a console and shifter that is good enough to bolt in??

Old 04-23-2002, 10:24 AM

That would be a used item, junk yard, parts boards wanted ads. I converted my column shift Lemans to a floorshift console w/ the his & hers shifter. For a proper conversion I got my hands on a dash harness for a console shift, then of course the console to dash harness and finally the console harness itself to support the neutral safety switch and all the light's. I like it! But not cheap. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I really need to use spellcheck!

[ April 23, 2002, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: rannca ]

Old 04-23-2002, 09:31 PM

Of course you could celebrate the fact this is a fairly unique "un-option" for GTO's; how many column shift GTO's have you run across? If it were my car, I would leave it stock just 'cause it is a rarity. I'd drop the ST300 2-spd for a TH350 or 400. Save yourself the headaches of trying to add a factory option to a car that didn't come that way (especially a 36 year old car). Seems like every Poncho A-body that shows up at our annual BOP show is: A bucket seat and floor shift GTO; has tri-power; and is usually regimental red (yawn)....boredom sets in after 10 minutes of looking. Keep yours a bit different.

[ April 23, 2002, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: mudhen ]

Old 04-23-2002, 10:48 PM

Maybe you are right...Too bad I just bought all the stuff for the floor shift today...Maybe it'll have to go on ebay. I am so wishy washy I have changed my mind so many times...Oh well it's all good...Hey you need a shifter and a mint console with all wiring and latches

Old 04-25-2002, 11:28 AM

Keep it original!....sorry I can't help you unload the floor shift stuff, but I'm gonna keep my '67 Tempest Custom post coupe as original as possible: column shift, bench seat and all. Hey...column shift speaks "sleeper"....try to recoup the bucks you spent on the floor shift conversion (eBay it) and put it towards building yourself a killer engine with the returned funds. Snap on a mint set of dogdishes and go eat Mustangs and "rice-burners" for lunch :-)