Old 09-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Senior Chief

Cool "change alert"

On my phs docs it has change alert written by hand on it. I was told by original owner of my conv that the dealer had already ordered a gto conv and he wanted a judge so they changed the order after it was in the system. He told me this back in 1986 when i bought the car and never ordered the phs untill recently. Is this possible? Or did dealer install the judge option? Just thinking out loud.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The PHS, which is the the Invoicing for the car, should have whatever it was that was originally "installed" and not necessarily "ordered." Otherwise how would they invoice the dealer? That's my take but I'm sure others like HFR or John V. would be much better "inputters."

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered a Z06 in 2002 and changed my mond about the color about a week before it was built. When I got the car the buildsheet (in the taillight panel) showed the color that it was painted (Electron Blue) but another sheet in the trunk called the "order form" showed the color I originally ordered (silver) with a handwritten notation about the change to blue.

Does your PHS show it as a Judge? If not it's not. The PHS (actually an invoice from Pontiac to the dealer) was generated well after the car was built so even a last minute change would be present on the car. Change order usually meant that when the dealer received the car it was missing an option and "change order" refered to the need for a credit note (this acording to a freind of mine who worked for a Pontiac-Buick dealer as a book keeper in the 70's)

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The PHS does not always show exactly what was in the car - not possible you say?

Pat Brown here on the board has an "X" vin 72 HO GTO that does not list the engine option on the PHS - there has been another car exactly like this that has been documented as well. If Pontiac didn't start noting the engine in the VIN in 72 he wouldn't be able to prove it. Other mistakes out there can't be proven in this manner.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember once a guy in the middle of the woods in NJ told me he had a '69 Judge Convertible for sale - 4spd Carousel Red and Ram Air 4! I had to see it - he knew I loved Pontiacs.

I go to his garage and under the cover is the nicest restored car I've ever seen. The codes matched, dates matched, and everything was PERFECT .... except the PHS didn't list the RA4 option. He wanted $46,000 which at the time (10 years ago?) was TOP DOLLAR (I know I know ... who knew) I said no.

He had told me Steve Ames was looking at the car. Curious as to why Steve Ames would turn it down I called him and his associate called me back. Steve said the car was the finest he had seen but without the PHS couldn't believe the engine stampings. So he said no too. I felt better about my decision. It was sold to someone in California about one month later.

The car was in Pontiac HPP shootout.

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather