THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need an opinion

Hi everyone. Hope this thread belongs in this section, if not, someone feel free to move it.
I recently sold my small car collection, one of which was a '71 GTO 2d ht, which had a body off frame restoration. It was tropical lime green in color and I had cloned it to a Judge. Just a beautiful car. I previously spoke about it here in some threads. My objective was to sell the cars and concentrate on having just one very nice car. I'm getting older and don't seem to have the energy or ambition to have a stable of cars again. Not to mention the expense involved. I've been looking for a while now and I'm certainly in no rush to buy anything. I've narrowed my search down to either a '55 Chevy, '66 GTO or a '62 SS 409. Whatever I buy, it has got to be a convertible. That's mandatory. Hardtops are nice, but no. I've been thinking about my '71 GTO and how much I like the looks of it. I want to include that in my search also. I know what the prices are of the other cars I've been looking at and mentioned above. I'm not sure what the market range might be of a '71 GTO convertible. This car would have to have been restored beautifully and and in factory/stock form. Original drivetrain is also mandatory. Bottom line is, I don't want to do anything to it but wax it. Has to be nice. Don't need a trailer queen. I plan on driving this car alot. So, what are anyones thoughts on what the price range might be?? Thank you very much, Carmine.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For the level of restoration you seem to be looking for prices can be all over the board. Taking a shot in the dark I would say your starting at 50k and going up?

Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would do some national shopping on Classic Cars, Hemmings, and so forth. You will quickly find the market for the level of restoration you really want. Particular engine and drivetrain combinations will have a large effect on value, I would think. The bulk of convertibles were 400 4-bbl. I would think a 455-HO 4-speed may bring up to a 50% premium if that's what you are looking for. Good luck with the search. I love those cars. I would think a very nice 400-4bbl auto would bring around 40-50K. A 455 HO 4-speed Over 65K.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
For the level of restoration you seem to be looking for prices can be all over the board. Taking a shot in the dark I would say your starting at 50k and going up?
Thanks for the reply. I was looking on line at some this afternoon at various sites. Several in the 40 thousand dollar range but I just couldn't warm up to them. A few were tribute cars so I had to be careful. I'm not surprised that something I'm looking for could be 50 thousand or better. I know that I can get a '66 GTO vert with tripower and 4 speed, beautifully restored, for the asking price of 52 thousand. I'll use that car/price as a baseline. The '71 GTO is my second favorite year. I like the front end. My favorite year is '66/'67. It's a tie. I've had 3 of them, Carmine.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just looked at Hemmings on-line to see what was out there. You probably did the same. I imagine you saw the Canyon Copper one with the sandlewood interior? I just couldn't wrap my head around that color combination. It was just weird to me. I love each of those colors separately, but together? just weird. Also, it looked like every front and rear part on that car had some serious fit issues. Those beautiful front ends have allot of complex curves and gaps that need to fit together. Everything front and rear on that one was wrong. There was also a dark green one with a parchment interior. It looked to fit well, but in 100 photos, not a single picture with the hood up? So you know something is up there. Also 66K IMO, is way too high for that car from the pics they did bother to include. Happy shopping!

Old 02-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine who has been into early 70s Trans Ams ever since I've known him decided to thin the herd, but he went a different direction and bought a low mileage Z06.

I am not sure I would want to buy somebody else's restoration project. You never know what is under the shiny paint.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I just looked at Hemmings on-line to see what was out there. You probably did the same. I imagine you saw the Canyon Copper one with the sandlewood interior? I just couldn't wrap my head around that color combination. It was just weird to me. I love each of those colors separately, but together? just weird. Also, it looked like every front and rear part on that car had some serious fit issues. Those beautiful front ends have allot of complex curves and gaps that need to fit together. Everything front and rear on that one was wrong. There was also a dark green one with a parchment interior. It looked to fit well, but in 100 photos, not a single picture with the hood up? So you know something is up there. Also 66K IMO, is way too high for that car from the pics they did bother to include. Happy shopping!
I saw both cars you mentioned. Neither one piqued my interest. Terrible color combo on the first one. I don't like that green on the second one. And that was too much money as you mentioned, Carmine.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
A friend of mine who has been into early 70s Trans Ams ever since I've known him decided to thin the herd, but he went a different direction and bought a low mileage Z06.

I am not sure I would want to buy somebody else's restoration project. You never know what is under the shiny paint.
That's a good point. Some of the cars I might have had an interest in, as usual, were many miles away. As of now, I'm not going to travel to examine them. But, I'm not buying sight on seen either. I'm a member of several car forums and I asked if any members might be in the area of a car I wanted looked at. One time, a very qualified member responded and looked at a car for me. I paid him for his time and expenses. I didn't buy that car. Another time more recently, I hired a professional inspection company called 'Lemon Squad". I saw their previous work and was impressed. The car I sent them to see, I knew had issues, but didn't know so many and how serious, until they sent me a detailed report and 354 pics. Well worth the money. Didn't buy that one either. So, I'll keep looking. No rush. Any purchase is a want, not a need, so I can afford to wait and be selective. If it happens, it happens. If not, that's ok also, Carmine..

Old 02-06-2020, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Are you talking about this one? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...#&gid=1&pid=12

That's my old car and has become a auction orphan. Sad in a way. Great car when I owned it and drove great. Then it got a 4 speed conversion and hood tach...etc.

Not sure you will find a 71 GTO 455 HO vert either for 65k?

Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like it! I would prefer a lighter interior, but i do like it.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The interior is actually sienna and is a tough color to make consistency and you can see the 4 speed console couldn’t match the other pieces.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
Are you talking about this one? https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...#&gid=1&pid=12

That's my old car and has become a auction orphan. Sad in a way. Great car when I owned it and drove great. Then it got a 4 speed conversion and hood tach...etc.

No, that was a different car. The one you owned was listed as auction and I didn't look at it because I wanted to see an asking price. After your post, I looked at it. It looks like a nice car. Different color combination. I see yours was not Canyon Copper but a lighter hue. The one I was referring to was darker exterior, possibly Canyon Copper with a darker brown hue interior. Just not my colors! I find your previous owned car a much more desirable combination. Also, your old car seems to fit properly. If you look at the one I was mentioning, nothing fits right. I don't know if it's the result of an accident or aftermarket parts, but nothing fits and that would drive me crazy on a 40K car. I owned a 70 TA for over a decade that had a comfortweave sandlewood interior and it looked really nice. But you are right. All the soft touch materials in the interior had a slightly different hue to them. The dash, console, door panels, seats, kick panels were all slightly different and it was all original. Your car was very nice.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

That's a really good looking car. Unique.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

I am not necessarily seeking a '71 GTO vert with a 455HO. A 400 engine would be fine. It just has to be original. I have no interest in paying 65 thousand for a '71 GTO vert. no matter what condition it is in. I wouldn't allow myself to do that. I'm starting to develop an understanding of what is out there and the going prices. I'll keep looking. Thank you for your input, Carmine.