THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I called the 800 number for Lowes and one person tells me the warranty starts at the end of the manufacturers warranty and another tells me it starts the date of purchase. I am going to Lowes tomorrow morning and see what they say.
its not a warranty item its a defect see the links your entitled to your money back
samsung has paid out over 600,000 to date

BOB SLUSSER
937-286-4343
Old 02-06-2020, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970gpsj4speed View Post
its not a warranty item its a defect see the links your entitled to your money back
samsung has paid out over 600,000 to date
Thanks, I finally found the link to sign up. Hopefully, my refrigerator will last until the outcome of this law suit.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:03 PM

Which part of your Pontiac does the fridge fit in ????? or does the PY forum need a "domestic" sub forum for some of these guys ?

Old 02-06-2020, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friends family owns small home improvement store. He was at a factory making tile,I think he said ceramic ,he heard a horn! What's that he said to tour guide,oh that's the notice for inspectors to leave assembly -manufacturing area! Now the cheaper tile will be made,yep ............for,hmmmm.?? Let the buyer beware.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy b View Post
Which part of your Pontiac does the fridge fit in ????? or does the PY forum need a "domestic" sub forum for some of these guys ?
I am not sure what your point is but, the lobby is for general discussion of a variety of topics. If you post a specific Pontiac question in the Lobby, odds are it will be moved to the correct forum.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
A friends family owns small home improvement store. He was at a factory making tile,I think he said ceramic ,he heard a horn! What's that he said to tour guide,oh that's the notice for inspectors to leave assembly -manufacturing area! Now the cheaper tile will be made,yep ............for,hmmmm.?? Let the buyer beware.
I have heard that the name brand these big box stores carry are not of the same quality as what goes to other stores. I have no idea if this is true. Anyhow any appliances, TVs, or other large items I buy is from the local small businesses. If for no other reason than to support local businesses.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
I have heard that the name brand these big box stores carry are not of the same quality as what goes to other stores. I have no idea if this is true. Anyhow any appliances, TVs, or other large items I buy is from the local small businesses. If for no other reason than to support local businesses.
It's not true.

If you are comparing the same make and model numbers - they are the same whether you buy at Mom & Pop's Appliance on Main Street in Anytown, USA or at Big Box Appliance.

Now contrast that to Sears Kenmore line. They were built by Whirlpool (at least they used to) to Sears specs and to fit a price point.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
It's not true.

If you are comparing the same make and model numbers - they are the same whether you buy at Mom & Pop's Appliance on Main Street in Anytown, USA or at Big Box Appliance.

Now contrast that to Sears Kenmore line. They were built by Whirlpool (at least they used to) to Sears specs and to fit a price point.
Certain model numbers are created specifically for the big box stores, to their specs and price point.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy b View Post
That's "cold"!

Old 02-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
Certain model numbers are created specifically for the big box stores, to their specs and price point.
That's why I said "comparing the same make and model numbers". Anytime I see a "private" model number, I know it's something built to someone else's specs to fit a price point.

Does Ford, Toyota or GM built different (insert model name here) for the "SUPER" dealers than they do for the small town dealers? No. If you're looking at a Toyota Tundra, Ford F150 or Chevy Silverado it doesn't matter which dealer you look at, they are all built on the same production line to the same specs.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's why I said "comparing the same make and model numbers". Anytime I see a "private" model number, I know it's something built to someone else's specs to fit a price point.

Does Ford, Toyota or GM built different (insert model name here) for the "SUPER" dealers than they do for the small town dealers? No. If you're looking at a Toyota Tundra, Ford F150 or Chevy Silverado it doesn't matter which dealer you look at, they are all built on the same production line to the same specs.
You are right. Appliance and lawn equipment are two groups that often get special models only for the big box stores. Honda and Toro are two glaring examples in lawn equipment. The box store models bear little resemblance to the quality units sold by independent dealers. Appliances are more difficult to tell because the outer case/cabinet is often the same as the quality unit. It's only under the skin that the cheap/crappy components are discovered. Very difficult to tell what you are buying. Used to be house brands like, Kenmore and Montgomery Ward were easily identified, but now cheap, cut rate appliances are hidden behind old time quality names like Maytag, and GE, sold by box stores to their junk specs. I guess the closest automotive comparison I can think of was the Cadillac Cimarron. Actually a junk Cavalier, but sold as a premium small luxury car to many people who saw the Cadillac name and assumed it was a real Cadillac.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Senior Chief

Let me see if I’m reading this correctly. The same make and model at a big box store as I said I heard, is not the same at an independent dealer. Most people don’t compare model numbers only name. I also heard the serial number is usually one number or letter different. Again don’t know if this is true.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting to me the big box stores still require the manufacturer warrant the product. The manufacturer is pressured to cut corners but they still own the liability. Big box stores have big leverage! Tough world for manufacturers trying to maintain a brand reputation but forced to sell through big box stores.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Let me see if I’m reading this correctly. The same make and model at a big box store as I said I heard, is not the same at an independent dealer. Most people don’t compare model numbers only name. I also heard the serial number is usually one number or letter different. Again don’t know if this is true.
Many times, a box store like Lowes, or Home Depot will get a model number appliance that is exclusive to them. That way, if someone is trying to price shop with the local guy, they can't match exact model numbers. Lowes might say "well that's a different model than ours, that's why the price difference", when in fact, it's practically the same refrigerator, stove, etc.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No, the same make and model is identical no matter where you buy it.

I always compare by make and model - because one digit difference in the model number can make a lot of difference. Never assume that if the model # is close that they are comparable.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly! You can't compare because the Box store fridge will have one letter or number changed or added to the end of the model like -A or -1BL for Lowes. That's how they trick the comparison shopper. And they don't change model numbers each year like cars do. They change appliance model numbers several times a year. If you read a test report on virtually anything in Consumer Reports magazine for example, good luck actually finding the exact model number they tested. Almost impossible. Since even good appliances are lucky to make it 8 years now, it hardly matters anyway. If I can't fix the dead appliance by watching a Youtube video, it gets thrown out. If it's out of warranty, the cost of parts and labor quickly exceeds 50% of a replacement unit. Recently had a 55" flat screen TV die 18 months into a 2 year warranty. The service guy came out and didn't test anything. He had a anti-static plastic bag filled with EVERY circuit board in the TV. Took a pile of screws off the back and replaced every board. He said that's the way they service all the Vizio flat screens. Said the bag with all the boards in it cost them $35.00. If that doesn't fix it, they replace the TV.

Last edited by mgarblik; 02-07-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Since even good appliances are lucky to make it 8 years now, it hardly matters anyway.
As I posted earlier, I must be really lucky. We built our house 15 years ago and all of the appliances that we purchased to put in the new house are still in the house....

Old 02-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't read all these threads, but the only Samsung product I would buy, would be a tv and nothing else. Bought a Samsung frig. 2-3 years ago, and the ice cube maker quit working. Tried to find someone to work on it and no one wanted any part of it. So, I've been buying bagged ice since then. When I get tired of looking at it, out front it will go and l'll buy a new non Samsung frig. I also learned there is a class action suit against Samsung for their defective ice cube makers. Lately, I've been buying Whirlpool appliances. I believe the only ones still made in the USA, Carmine.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:21 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
No, the same make and model is identical no matter where you buy it.

I always compare by make and model - because one digit difference in the model number can make a lot of difference. Never assume that if the model # is close that they are comparable.
This is what I’m saying. They will change a letter or number on the same make and model. Now it’s not the same appliance that you can buy at a small dealers. It’s not the quality product that a person thinks he’s buying.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
I haven't read all these threads, but the only Samsung product I would buy, would be a tv and nothing else. Bought a Samsung frig. 2-3 years ago, and the ice cube maker quit working. Tried to find someone to work on it and no one wanted any part of it. So, I've been buying bagged ice since then. When I get tired of looking at it, out front it will go and l'll buy a new non Samsung frig. I also learned there is a class action suit against Samsung for their defective ice cube makers. Lately, I've been buying Whirlpool appliances. I believe the only ones still made in the USA, Carmine.

There is a class action lawsuit about this problem.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ers-mediation/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1520337151601316/

This is a link to sign up for the class action suit.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...TlGhQ/viewform