THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Road trips with classic?

Now that I have the 72 Lemans put back to stock with the over drive trans. i am looking at taking it on some long road trips. Like from NJ to Florida. My question is what can I do for security while parked at hotels? I know our old cars are easy to steal.
What have you done? How long of trips have you been on?

Old 03-05-2024, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just my theory...but I'd bet that a lot of the random parking lot thieves are more interested in popular, generic late-model stuff for the chop shops....like a Honda Accord. There also seems to be a run on the newer USB-enabled and keyless-start models.

So for a classic, I'd say the first layer of protection is to NOT announce on social media where and when you're going....to avoid somebody targeting your specific car.

FWIW,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A tow truck is always a problem. Otherwise get a ignition kill and somehow lock the hood. Opening a hood allows ignition bypass and cranking ability. A noisemaker can help also.

George

Old 03-05-2024, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Air tag or equivalent...

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 05:13 PM

Sleep in the car.

Stay strapped.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With a Pit bull.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

Don’t stay at a chain hotel with a large parking lot. Research your route and find a boutique motel off the beaten path where you can park your car right outside your door. Or a bed and breakfast. If you’re staying at your destination for more than 2 nights you can get a VRBO with a garage.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car and my son's car both have Progression Ignition distributors. We bought them for their almost unlimited tuneability but one of the features is for security. Basically if the thief doesn't have your phone he cannot activate the distributor. Not sure how this has worked in the real world.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to prostreet64 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 05:58 PM

Default road trips

It's really sad that our country has gotten to the point where you can't even park your car safely to enjoy our hobby anymore without worry.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bob d For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Club works nice - retro look too.

Old 03-05-2024, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3570.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	629921

Name:	IMG_3556.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	629922The club and a hidden ignition disable for me. I drive my stock '67 all over the place.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:24 PM

I saw you had OD trans but a manual transmission can help thwart some of today's thieves.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I not sure of the specifics of this device, but do some research, as I have heard there are relatively cheap (less than $50) tracking devices you can hide in your car.

https://www.amazon.ca/ATUVOS-Compati...1&sr=8-29&th=1

Old 03-05-2024, 07:46 PM

Honestly, if you're concerned about theft, there are mobile car alarms which are motion sensitive. Another thought would be to just remove the rotor (if there is one) and/or primary coil wire.

As has been mentioned, a stick is a millennial anti-theft device (LOL), but doesn't help those of us who drive automatics by choice and not by necessity. :-D

I have a convertible, and I have always felt that slashing a top to break in is akin to horse stealing, but it happens all the time. For us, aside from stealing the whole car, it's the damage which may be done by the would-be thief trying to break into the car which can be more costly and perhaps not as well covered by insurance than a total theft.

The Club is great, but cutting a steering wheel is a simple workaround with the right tools, ruining what might have been an expensive wheel in the process.

So, assume that a determined thief will get into the car one way or another, so look to do things to either make noise or disable the vehicle after the break-in. As has also been mentioned, a flatbed is kind of hard to thwart, but a combination of things (layers) should help even the odds.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 03-05-2024, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The biggest problem is the flatbed. If someone wants your car and they have a flatbed truck the only thing that might help is a tracking device. Unfortunate but true in this day and age.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unplug the distributor.. Disconnect the throttle linkage. If your steering column locks... turn the wheels hard one direction and park nose in between 2 cars. .

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 03-05-2024, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once you get past Maryland, I think you'll be fine. You're in Jersey, so no sweat. Really, you'll see.
Plus you can find sweet tea!

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 03-05-2024 at 10:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ha Im in MD, I think you need to get below DC!

As bad as it sounds make sure you have great insurance! AND tell them before you are leaving on the trip. My insurance says I need to keep my car parked in my garage. I used to travel a lot by motorcycle and we would always schmooze the front desk clerk when we checked in to let us park under the canopy at the front entrance. Typically there is plenty of room for several cars at one time so one parked is not really in the way. Tell them you have a classic car that you would like to keep a close eye on. If you talk nice enough you might be surprised. ALSO, if you do this make sure they leave a note for the morning staff!

Old 03-06-2024, 09:39 AM

Default Excellent suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Ha Im in MD, I think you need to get below DC!

As bad as it sounds make sure you have great insurance! AND tell them before you are leaving on the trip. My insurance says I need to keep my car parked in my garage. I used to travel a lot by motorcycle and we would always schmooze the front desk clerk when we checked in to let us park under the canopy at the front entrance. Typically there is plenty of room for several cars at one time so one parked is not really in the way. Tell them you have a classic car that you would like to keep a close eye on. If you talk nice enough you might be surprised. ALSO, if you do this make sure they leave a note for the morning staff!
I towed my boat 1600 miles from Florida to Pa and did exactly what TAKerry said. My wife called the motel we planned to stop in advance and asked about any secured parking options for example lighting and or security cameras. The person she spoke to was awesome asked what we were towing and then said just pull up under the canopy and kept an eye on it during our stop. Since we were using the same motel chain they set up the same parking for the second layover. Picture is what I parked under the canopy at the front door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1501.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	629964  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donziboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 09:51 AM

That looks like an OMC outdrive WOW