Old 03-16-2001, 12:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm looking at ordering some PY flares but wanted to know how the repros stand up to the NOS flares.

And, what is the proper order to paint the welting. It seems if I spray the welting before it's installed, the paint will crack when I install it on the flares. Should I shoot the flare, then install the welting on the flare and spray again?

Now if I could just find a decent set of mirrors.

Dave

Old 03-16-2001, 12:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm looking at ordering some PY flares but wanted to know how the repros stand up to the NOS flares.

And, what is the proper order to paint the welting. It seems if I spray the welting before it's installed, the paint will crack when I install it on the flares. Should I shoot the flare, then install the welting on the flare and spray again?

Now if I could just find a decent set of mirrors.

Dave

Old 03-16-2001, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

ON EBAY THERE IS NEW GM FLARES GOT 2 FROM HIM A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO NICE STUFF ALREADY HAVE GAKSET ATTACHED TO THE FLARES

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=569467515

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=569467175

[This message has been edited by rocky (edited 03-16-2001).]

Old 03-16-2001, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, I agree with Rocky, the GM flares are a bit more expensive but they come with the welting glued/stapled in place. I think it'd be best to use a flex-additive to paint the welting but really, they don't move enough to crack with normal paint. All 4 of mine were sprayed with normal paint all in one piece. No cracks yet. Try calling your local GM dealer and see what they cost from him.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:58 PM
Administrator

The reproduction spoilers also come with the welting installed. Quality is good to very good... GM being excellent.

GM- $179/ea. 2 or 3 are discontinued
repro $99/ea. All available.

Rocky is correct. Just add a flex agent to be safe.

Old 04-17-2001, 01:04 AM

If you're still looking into this, one thing I can say for sure is DO NOT buy repro's from Classic Industries! I thought I was saving a few bucks . . . Not! They were not even close! I have seen some after market spoilers that seem to be close to original. Be real careful with the welting on the front spoilers as it likes to kink around the top. These spoilers are getting next to impossible to find used. I haven't seen the PY repro's. I'm gonna check them out at Carlisle, PA later this week.