Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Default my '74 T/A 400.. decoding and other questions

Hi guys, I have a few questions about my '74 Buccaneer Red automatic for you experts.

It's got a correct 400 currently, but it is not matching numbers. This is a solid car that's a driver. It's not getting a frame-off at this point, rather just some paint/interior and light mechanical freshening. I'd like to keep it as original/stock appearing as possible, but am not worrying about part numbers and date codes, etc.

Currently it has an old style Edelbrock Performer intake, which is of course, too tall to run my original shaker setup. I wanted to know which is the correct intake to run to get it back to stock height. Again, I'm not too concerned with a numbers or date-correct intake, just which one would work best and appear stock. Didn't know which 400 intake I need. As a side question to this, my engine runs really, really well as is, and snaps right up when you throttle it- almost like a small block Chevy. I know that's an odd statement, but it's really responsive/free-revving. My only other '74 was an SD years ago, so I have nothing to compare it to. am I going to lose much of this by swapping the intake back to stock?

Secondly, about the interior- here's my PHS. According to the po, it's supposed to be red console/carpet/dash, with white seats/door panels, but I can't decode this. Is he correct?

Here's the other form, top half, then the bottom. Hope you guys can read this.

Someone has put later style red hobnail seats in, also with later standard door panels. I should have the horse-collar style seats though, correct? I would also need the older 2-piece door panels to be correct I guess. Will I be ridiculed if I recover and run the current setup in a '74?

Lastly, I'm missing the rear seat side panel armrests and sail panels. I have some later side panels if they'll fit, but have no early sail panels. I haven't seen these repro'd? Will any sail panels from a 70-74 work? How about from a Camaro?

Thanks again guys, for you opinions and valuable input.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the info on your interior question.
It came with the White seats and Red appointments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74InteriorMixes.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	227239   Click image for larger version

Name:	74InteriorMixes2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	227240   Click image for larger version

Name:	74InteriorMixes3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	227241  

Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Thanks for that! I haven't rounded up all the correct literature yet, so that's very helpful. Am I correct that the seats should be the 'horse collar' deluxe type?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

can you post a picture of the intake and a picture of the aircleaner base?one of each not together.an old style or regular performer intake should work with no problems on a 74 TA,i say this because i have used several of them over the years on a couple of 73's and a couple 78's,73's 455's and the 78's both 400's.

the problem might be the base.the firebird/Trans Am base sits deeper than the bases used on other pontiacs.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 PM

Warbird, I'll have to do that tomorrow. The p.o. said it wouldn't fit/clear. I'm remiss for not assembling and trying it for myself. Don't have too much faith in his word anyways, he said he had the original interior parts I could have-they were "at his brother's". I then saw the parts on Craigslist after I picked up the car. Called him, he said he had sold them, and didn't have any of the promised parts. My tough luck I guess..

Be great if it does fit, it runs awfully good as-is, and it's still got a Quadrajet. Thanks for the tip- I'll see exactly what's going on with it soon.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what are the codes on the heads?there is a slight difference in the intakes,there is a break going 1967-1971/1972-1979.depending on which heads you want to run which will be easiest to run.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 AM

The heads are 4X.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

using the 4X heads(or really any 1972 or up)the best would be a 1972 intake.everything matchs up,and no egr stuff.HP Pontiac did a test(might have been Rocky)anyway that show almost no difference in the later 73-74 egr intakes, even the later D shaped secondary 75 up intakes.you can us an earlier 67-71 intake but you have to make sure to block the exhaust crossovers so they don't leak.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Warbird, I didn't get to to it today- 22 degrees and super busy, lol. I'm going to try the breather fit and make pics of it this weekend. Thanks so much for your good help here.

Also, what year range deluxe seats am I looking for? Is it only 74-76? Was it the same seat in a deluxe interior Firebird?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

74-75 are the same.73 is the same except they don't have the shoulder belt holder.seats are the same for all firebirds and you can find then in espirits the most.the seat bottom is different on the 76's.

another idea is they came in 73-75 grand am's.to use those you have to change out the seat tracks to the firebird tracks,but the neat thing is the grand am seats are reclining.

on the rear sail panels,74 is a one year only.there isn't much difference,just where the coat hook goes,so any 70-74 will bolt in and most will not know the difference.they do repo the 70-73 ,not sure about the 74.you can find both styles for sale on here or ebay pretty often.