THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-08-2023, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New cruiser! 1962 Catalina Safari (x2)

Well I’ve made a deal for two 1962 Catalina Safaris. Trading my 1952 Chevy gasser project. Anytime you can trade one rusty car for two rusty cars you have to take that right?

We switched titles yesterday but I don’t have the cars home yet. Working out a few small details like for some speed parts I have and a decent 350p he has.

The dark red car is the good car. It’s a bit ugly but really really solid. Somebody has done some amateurish metal repair but that was a better than rust. I’ve never been a really perfect kinda guy, so I’m confident I can get those spots to 90% and be happy. Has a 455 olds and th375. I’m not thrilled about the olds boat anchor but it’s put in pretty well. Somebody took their time. Has phs documentation. I think I’m going to try to do some basic maintenance in the guys yard and road trip this one 80 miles home. Then once back at my place I have someone to do the windshield. This car is really close to being a ready to go rat cruiser that I can pretty up while I drive it.

Orange car is the parts car but it’s honestly not that bad itself. It has the better chrome so I’m going to swap the best parts and then try to sell it whole. Both cars have a title so that orange car is for sure good enough that someone will want it as a project. Someone will want the olds too. I give olds a hard time but I know everyone doesn’t feel the same way.

I’ll probably be asking some dumb questions as my Pontiac knowledge dips a bunch pre 64. Like if anyone knows if the seats are basically the same on same year B bodies. I can’t find Catalina seat covers but I can find the Chevy versions. Or is it supposed to be dual drive shaft? Currently it has a long tail and single DS that I expect is going to rattle. That’s a long go for a single shaft.

Normally I’m the go fast guy but I think I’m going to go out if my comfort zone and airbag this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1E1D700-3CBF-4CE4-BCE3-230D22EE6924.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	610398   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4DF6268-86C5-4B20-A7C2-8257099CE76F.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	610399   Click image for larger version

Name:	23E3E6E2-D653-4CBB-8871-1C2A7C37BAF8.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	610400   Click image for larger version

Name:	54C4F328-A254-445E-A90F-2B8C3D2E62BB.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	610401  

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 04-08-2023 at 10:32 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Looks like you made a good trade. As I've gotten older, I've been liken the older wagons more. Looking forward to following this thread.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The both look pretty solid in the pictures. They used single piece driveshafts.
I don't know for sure if Chevy seats were the same size and shape as Pontiacs but they were probably similar, so the seat covers should be similar in fit (the front seat should be the same size and shape for a station wagon as a four door sedan, the back seat of course is unique to a wagon since it folds down.) Back then each GM brand was pretty much unique, they each had different style frames and therefore different floor pans, so the seat mounting brackets to the floor are probably not the same. Note that the upholstery pattern in a wagon was different than a sedan, take a look at the factory brochure at http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20...ige/index.html SMS in Oregon is going to be the best source for the exact upholstery material, but they are well known for very long lead times. I believe they can provide completed seat covers, but it's going to be a lot faster to buy the materials by the yard and then have the covers sewn up by a local auto upholstery shop. https://smsautofabrics.com

Last edited by Stuart; 04-08-2023 at 11:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The both look pretty solid in the pictures. They used single piece driveshafts.
I don't know for sure if Chevy seats were the same size and shape as Pontiacs but they were probably similar, so the seat covers should be similar in fit (the front seat should be the same size and shape for a station wagon as a four door sedan, the back seat of course is unique to a wagon since it folds down.) Back then each GM brand was pretty much unique, they each had different style frames and therefore different floor pans, so the seat mounting brackets to the floor are probably not the same. Note that the upholstery pattern in a wagon was different than a sedan, take a look at the factory brochure at http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20...ige/index.html SMS in Oregon is going to be the best source for the exact upholstery material, but they are well known for very long lead times. I believe they can provide completed seat covers, but it's going to be a lot faster to buy the materials by the yard and then have the covers sewn up by a local auto upholstery shop. https://smsautofabrics.com
Thanks for the brochure thing.

The red car actually has a later model front bench, probably from the same car that donated the 455. But it isnt bolted down. So I will probably be stealing the front out of the orange car. There is a 62 Bonneville sedan front bench for cheap not crazy far from me, but again, not sure if thats a bolt in solution or not.

On the upholstery, I am okay if its not factory pattern within reason. Provided it doesnt have a bowtie on it or something, if I can buy ready made seat covers from Summit or something for a 62 Brookwood that will fit I am happy to do that over paying a small fortune for custom covers to be made up that will look more original. But I dont want to waste money by getting halfway into a hog ring recover and find out that chevy wagon covers are dramatically different in size or shape.

Im getting a 350P short block as part of the deal. I would generally like to go with a larger cube motor, but a 350 with a little cam and some heads that provide compression might be plenty for this wagon to go back to pontiac power.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 12:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very cool! Looks similar to my 60 wagon when I bought it. Don’t be afraid to work that paint to get the patina look your after. I’ll be interested in what you find out about the seat covers. Are either of them 9 passenger wagons?

These pics are a couple days apart. Wheels and some buffing can make a big difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FF06CF4-2058-4505-9CC2-C68E750CE752.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	610408   Click image for larger version

Name:	60438731-2301-4FD6-817C-3764E1BE351B.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	610409  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like fun!!

Old 04-08-2023, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Very cool! Looks similar to my 60 wagon when I bought it. Don’t be afraid to work that paint to get the patina look your after. I’ll be interested in what you find out about the seat covers. Are either of them 9 passenger wagons?

These pics are a couple days apart. Wheels and some buffing can make a big difference.
The dude said the parts car had the 3rd row but he sold the seat.

I thought I read that none of the Catalina based wagons were all 6 passenger and Bonneville had the 9 option. I could have that backwards.

Ultimately I will probably paint it, but I might live with a patina look for a while. I might try that new mechanical hold clear coat that Derek from Vice Grip is peddling. The roof has some white rolled on. it looks like crap up close. If nothing else I might quick sand that flat and lay some single stage white over the top. It wont be flawless but will be an improvement.

It is in its correct scheme. Car was sold Belmar Red with a Cameo Ivory top.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back then you could get a Catalina wagon either with two or three seats, but Bonnevilles were two seats only. It wasn't until 1966 that they offered a three seat Bonneville wagon.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay so I had it backwards.

I just went out and slammed the fresh th400 into the gasser project that is going the other way. Moved under its own power for the first time in who knows how long. 20 years? 40?

Disappointed I’ll never see the track with it but at least I took it from a field, made it drive and am moving it to someone else who will drive it.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:25 PM

great looking cars!

Old 04-08-2023, 06:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Really cool. Love the shape

Old 04-09-2023, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two for the price of 1! Both cars look to be in decent shape. Man those 62 Pontiac's were attractive, no matter what body style. Wagon, (s) are really handsome. I would love to have one all finished. Body and paint are not on the agenda any longer. Mechanical work, yes. Good luck with them. Pound per pound, you made out on that deal!.

Old 04-09-2023, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At the end of the day we are both really happy with the deal at this point. He really wants a gasser and 61-62 Pontiacs have long been a bucket list car for me. We will see if it stays that way, but I hope it does. Im pretty sure I will be. I am debating on if I want to try a quick and dirty respray to make the red car a nice 10 footer. I think I may do the white roof just for now to get rid of the roller paint.

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 04-09-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a thread about a brown GTO that gets a carousel red wrap. It had some light body damage but came out looking pretty darn good. Certainly passed the internet test. I would check it out. I have never done a wrap but it seems like a large pretty flat area like a roof wouldn't be too difficult?

Old 04-09-2023, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love wagons! Nice score!

Old 04-09-2023, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both cars are nice but I'm loving the look of wagon #2 with the wheel discs and whitewalls...and the roof rack. I like the patina look on both cars also. Might be my favorite year for the early 60s B-bodies.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yea I love the front end of the 62’s. Just very clean and well styled.