Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

Nice port molds Jim, thanks for finally showing me pictures. We made the port bigger where it need to be bigger and smaller where it was needed (which was mostly the inlet).

The stock RAV has zero taper till after the push rod. Then it tapers like crazy:
*We built taper from the plenum to the intake flange
*maintain cross sectional area around the tube(Tony recommended gradual instead of a bugle)
*maintain csa to the short turn(you need to keep velocity down to make the turn)
*improve the short turn.

lmc3470@aol.com
www.ChemicalManagementIndiana.com
317-260-3486
Old 07-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Detuning a "race breed" a motor for street use...kind of up side down, lol.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been thinking about it and maybe you guys are right!I should not try and run all this rare race stuff on the street!I think I will offer up for sale ALL my RA V stuff for anyone that has deep enough pockets.3 complete engines.303 based RA V short deck engine,4one of 25 made.446 CI alu V engine complete,one of 6 factory blocks and a 455 V engine complete with one of a handfull 4.21 stroke 3in main factory crank.All engines come with correct carbs,balancers etc.The McCarty alu heads and intake are avil also.PM or email if anyone is interested.I canceled the dyno deal on the alu heads.Tom

Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Been thinking about it and maybe you guys are right!I should not try and run all this rare race stuff on the street!I think I will offer up for sale ALL my RA V stuff for anyone that has deep enough pockets.3 complete engines.303 based RA V short deck engine,4one of 25 made.446 CI alu V engine complete,one of 6 factory blocks and a 455 V engine complete with one of a handfull 4.21 stroke 3in main factory crank.All engines come with correct carbs,balancers etc.The McCarty alu heads and intake are avil also.PM or email if anyone is interested.I canceled the dyno deal on the alu heads.Tom

No No No
Keep it, Keep it, Keep it
Run 'em, Run 'em, Run 'em on the street !

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I'd suggest thinking that over for a bit before pulling the trigger on selling everything. Your collection could not be duplicated again. Your knowledge and willingness to share the parts you've obtained over the years has been an asset to the hobby. You offered one of your V blocks (4.20 bore IIRC) and that 4.21" x 3" main crank to me years back at a very reasonable price. I passed, but most RAV collectors would never part with stuff like that or would ask the moon for it. I really respected that.

IMHO I do feel you are getting sh*t on a little bit considering how much of your time and money you invested into those new RAV heads to make them work. Just my

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,

We all like you and support you 100%. We dont have to agree with your methods, but it is your car, do it the way you want. We hope to dyno this week, and I will show you how we do things. Tony will be the moderator.

Lynn

lmc3470@aol.com
317-260-3486
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,
What one or two think of your personal decisions should not and does not matter. Build 'em how you want 'em. Your stash is beyond comprehension: Use the parts and enjoy them as very few will ever have the chance/pleasure.

You are the ultimate hard core Pontiac'er on this forum...we are all trying to catch up.

Highly recommend you stay the course.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robertson View Post
Tom,
What one or two think of your personal decisions should not and does not matter. Build 'em how you want 'em. Your stash is beyond comprehension: Use the parts and enjoy them as very few will ever have the chance/pleasure.

You are the ultimate hard core Pontiac'er on this forum...we are all trying to catch up.

Highly recommend you stay the course.
X2 Well said Jim! Dont let others opinions influence your choice of fun.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Tom,
It probably doesn't matter exactly what I say, due to the fact that I am a no body on this forum, but I agree with the two previous posts. I find your information very valuable to enthusiast and to the consumer who may purchase a set of these. As far as it being a "street" post, I have found that in the last 20 years that the word "street" is all relative. People have different tolerance levels of what is drivable.
Back to the post, I find the information very valuable. My reasoning behind this is that if you pick up a copy of High Performance Pontiac Magazine and look at the most common combinations of engines you will find that they are largely the 462 through 467 variety. All of these combinations are similiar scenerio in that they are restricted on the bore size. So I think any information avalible to show what needs done to make them work on smaller bores is just as important as what would work on a larger bore. It also gives the consumer a chance to see what is the capability of such a cylinder head. I think what you have done with the Ram Air V stuff on your own accord is extremely impressive. It is truely a shame that Pontiac never had the oppurtunities to make some of the improvements that everyone (including yourself) is making to them. I would hope you would continue with your testing as stated earlier, it only makes all of us more informed.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Touch a nerve? Sorry.
Was joke'n, forgot to

Seriously;
"Handfull of 4.21 3" cranks".
As soon as my "old" bud gets his new house built, will forward his address for payment for the one(mine) he broke.
Once paid(doultful), send it straight to me. NOT HIM!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 08-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRASuperStock455SD View Post
Forum:

I need to correct some things said here...

*Exhausts are exactly as they should be. Corrections have been made. They are symmetrical intakes and exhausts. We cut the exhaust flanges on a CMC for two ports and invert them for the second two ports on the same side. Toms and mine had exhaust in the center bottom in a different location as we had no exhaust flange to go by. The stock heads we made patters off had no holes drilled as the stock RAV had no holes in the two center bottoms.
Lynn, Im curious about the exhaust gasket matching the heads.
Do the ports line up with the stock gaskets or not? Meaning specifically, are the ports completely inside the gasket port holes with no over hang as shown in Toms pic?
Can you show a pic of the revised ports with a stock gasket?

-Don

1966 GTO

1966 421-9.3-1 comp-Race Tec 23cc Pistons
1966 Tri-Power
1967 670 Heads
Pontiac "Highlift" TriPower Cam by SpeedPro
DUR 214 Int 224 Exh @.050 - 107 ICL
LIFT .445" Int .465" Exh
Tri-Y-Headers by Tribal Tubes w/ Goerlich Mufflers
1966 Muncie Wide Ratio 4-Speed
1968-72 Chevy 12 Bolt Rear End w/ 3.73 rear gears
Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
......LOL

Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought I would bring this to the top as there was questions of what the tube and foil do to flo compared to nothing in the port.Post 179 has some info.Tom

Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD421 View Post
Lynn, Im curious about the exhaust gasket matching the heads.
Do the ports line up with the stock gaskets or not? Meaning specifically, are the ports completely inside the gasket port holes with no over hang as shown in Toms pic?
Can you show a pic of the revised ports with a stock gasket?

-Don
They line up perfectly. We just dont oval them at the bottom, they are inside the stock loops.

The RAV heads were not drilled for 8 holes. So sometimes when dealing with the old stuff you see things all over the place.

lmc3470@aol.com
317-260-3486
Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTT: thought this thread may be of some interest since some of the things discussed were put into a running motor and dyno results thereof have been published.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Suspended

If I had the money I'd run a V on the street. I'm sure that there is an engine combo that would make it streetable to dive, I like the big thump of an engine running down the road.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are just another air pump.NBD,Tom

Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Suspended

Yes, but a good one. They also look really good to.