Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 04-03-2024, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Mad Maxx SuperCharger

yes, I know the Mad Maxx on/off supercharger is a bit of a pipe dream. But I have a related question - if you have a centrifugal supercharger and remove the belt and the carb hat - can you drive the car around without much issue, running without the supercharger?

Perhaps some light tuning on carb and ignition and good to go? Just thinking about ability to improve gas mileage and cruising parasitic power drain when not wanting to have the SC running.

Old 04-03-2024, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

with a boost reference regulator as well.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know. My guess would be major fuel distribution problems.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I don't know how much actual efficiency you'd be gaining from this configuration. A centrifugal supercharger should also have a boost bypass valve installed that is connected to vacuum. While under low load, the head unit is essentially freewheeling as the bypass valve is open. While in that operational state the parasitic losses of driving the supercharger are negligible.

In a carbureted application, you would then only deal with whatever driveability concerns are inherent with the blow through application.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
I don't know how much actual efficiency you'd be gaining from this configuration. A centrifugal supercharger should also have a boost bypass valve installed that is connected to vacuum. While under low load, the head unit is essentially freewheeling as the bypass valve is open. While in that operational state the parasitic losses of driving the supercharger are negligible.

In a carbureted application, you would then only deal with whatever driveability concerns are inherent with the blow through application.
Mad Max supercharger was a roots blower. Different animal than centrifugal. I believe there are bypass systems on newer screw type blowers. Admittedly, I'm not well educated on the subject. Was compelled to comment anyway. lol

Old 04-03-2024, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a discussion on the subject: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...operation.html

Old 04-03-2024, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can’t find the video but it was a MM interceptor tribute car. The blower could be turned on and off like in the movie. It looked to me like it was run by an electric motor very well hidden.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:31 PM

In response to the OPs post, I did a bunch of work on an Interceptor replica made by the same guy that did the movie cars here in Australia. There's a starter motor inside the blower case which mounts to a frame above a 4 barrel carb. Driving an accurate Interceptor around on the streets was pretty cool, people literally stop in the middle of the road to check it out and I felt like a total bad ass!!

Old 04-03-2024, 07:34 PM

Correction, in response to grandam1979 post not the OPs

The Following User Says Thank You to Prototyper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thank guys. helpful perspective and info to research. I presented the idea to Chris at torqstorm and I can could tell from his response it was a fools errand. In fact he asked me if I planned on being in a movie. which was pretty funny.

The bypass valve seems like it will mostly do what I was considering.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
Mad Max supercharger was a roots blower. Different animal than centrifugal. I believe there are bypass systems on newer screw type blowers. Admittedly, I'm not well educated on the subject. Was compelled to comment anyway. lol
Yeah, OP was using that as an example but is using a centrifugal blower.

Even some more modern roots blowers like the m90 and m112 have built in boost bypass for cruise operation. Almost anything being used in an oem application will.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

theres a guy in the 871 fb groups that has an electric clutch set up on his mad max truck that disengages

Old 04-04-2024, 09:51 PM

Talking

My recollection of Max's was that his actually disengaged the belt, and the blower stopped spinning. The cool part was that when he engaged it at highway speed (2K RPM?), it just "caught up" to the engine rotation. Then, of course, we add the nitrous boost and hope the nose stays on the pavement... LOL

My 2006 STS-V has a factory Eaton m122 on it with a serpentine belt. Not exactly sure how I could manage a maneuver quite like that... :-D

WRT boost bypass, this is, of course, correct. Without acceleration, my boost gauge drops to 0psi (such as highway driving with cruise engaged). The fun starts when the gauge gets to 8psi or so (the display allows for up to 15psi, which of course is more than the m122 will put out).

Enjoy.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 04-06-2024, 09:10 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
I don't know. My guess would be major fuel distribution problems.
Vortech Superchargers.

Many Years ago Ford guys would travel to Desoto Drag strip, Driving their Vortech Powered 5 Liter Mustangs.

They just removed the drive belt on the Vortech System. Engine ran fine just cruising down the highway without the belt.
Lots less wear on the supercharger system too. A couple of thousand miles wear on the supercharger otherwise.

A couple of guys had wives who drove the cars (to work a few short miles (less than 50 round trip) but every day.
On Race days they added the drive belt. Worked fine.

A large by-pass valve routed enough air to the carb that that it drove fine on the street.

So Vortech type superchargers: "S-Trim, T-Trim, YSi Trim" (600, 800, over 1000 hp) had the boost deal covered. Kansas boys might have been faster but Vortech Stuff was very durable with the engine lubricated oil system for the Supercharger bearings. With the drive belt removed, the engine drive like a normal engine.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Best thing to remember about MM none of it was real not even the blower.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not even thunder dome? Two men enter, one man leave.

The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightAuto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take the belt and the hat off it would get you home?

GT