Old 03-24-2002, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

I picked up a newly rebuilt Hurst Competition Plus shifter to install in my 66 GTO. Now it has a severe bind in it. It moved freely when I was beneath the car, but after I tightened everthing up shes all bound up. Is there an installation instruction sheet on adjustments for this installation anywhere? Also the shifter has screws on the front and back of the shifter - are these more adjustment points? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-24-2002, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

I picked up a newly rebuilt Hurst Competition Plus shifter to install in my 66 GTO. Now it has a severe bind in it. It moved freely when I was beneath the car, but after I tightened everthing up shes all bound up. Is there an installation instruction sheet on adjustments for this installation anywhere? Also the shifter has screws on the front and back of the shifter - are these more adjustment points? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-25-2002, 04:26 PM

Yes there are adjustments. Either the shop manual or the restoration guide have the instructions in them. Essentially you will see a small hole on the left hand side of the plate (when mounted on the car). You put a certain sized drill or drill rod through that hole and move the shift lever until it goes through all the interanl pieces and bottoms. Now you adjust the linkage arms to the transmission until the transmission is in neutral (you can spin the driveshaft with the rear wheels off the ground and the parking brake off). For the life of me, I can't remember the drill size and I'm at work with no manuals. Bet someone will come up with the size before I can get home to get it to you.

Ed

Old 03-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1/4"
Also, if you overtighten the top shifter mounting bolt you will bind up your shifter.
If the shifter was not properly put together or was put together with used or worn part(s) it will bind up after you mount it onto the trans tailshaft's mounting plate.

Old 03-25-2002, 05:52 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the responses guys. I did remember to use a thin nailto line up the through the plate. I'll try the correct 1/4" diameter and also loosen the top bolt on the tail.
Joe

Old 03-28-2002, 03:42 PM

I'd like to join in on this posting. I'm just about to replace the shifter on my restored 1966 GTO. The original shifter is just plain worn out and sloppy. When I examined the trans, it is a Muncie 4-SP, built in 1969, in a M20 case with M21 gears. Hurst recommended the Competition Plus for the 1966 model, and said I would have no problems. Are they right, or should I be prepared for something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Schlitzman

Old 03-28-2002, 04:11 PM

The Hurst Completion Plus shifter will work just fine on the transmission you have. The original shifters were made by Hurst and were identical to the Competition Plus, except the aftermarket ones had a bolt holding the shift lever in and the Pontiac issued ones had, I believe, a spring-loaded detent.

Ed

Old 03-28-2002, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

schlitzman - The shifter itself will be fine, but if you have a console you will have a problem. The factory Hurst shifter had a round handle. The Competition Plus marketed by Hurst has a rectangular handle. It will hit the console. That is why I removed the console in my 64 GTO.