Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Doesn't explain how he was given the incorrect part at all. Doesn't explain how his attempts at correction were dismissed either.

I've made my decision not to give them a shot at my business. 50/50 is not good enough for me. I've been warned.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

The golden rule. Pay with a credit card. As stated in previous post. Then if there`s problem get in touch with the card company.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdclassics
To me customer service is very important when I decide where to purchase classic car parts. I had spoken to 3 different sales reps at Inline and all gave me the cold shoulder. Not a single one of them offered to remedy their own mistake, but instead gave me the run around. I have no doubt in my mind the employees are trained by the owners on how they handle customer service issues, since the customer comes last. Judging by my experience, Inline tube is no friend of the classic car owner, but rather a parts business looking to get richer.
This also was my experience. They shipped out great fitting brake, transmission, and fuel lines. However they sent me the wrong clips and would not take them back (even though it was clearly there fault as they were the wrong size). Do to there arrogance I will never buy from them again, unless they were to apologize. I am old school in my dealings with people. The customer is not always wrong as they seem to think. This thinking offends me even though they make nice parts. Treating people this way is just wrong in my book. Makes them look like crooks.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH
I've done tons of business with InLine Tube, and have always been more than impressed with the quality of their products, as well as their knowledge of these cars. John and James (the two brothers who own InLine) know GM A-bodies better than anyone I have ever met, and they have brought unknown or overlooked parts to market that have raised the bar on concours restorations considerably.
While I can understand their reluctance to accept returned parts of this bature (they would have no way to verify that the part had not been installed, bent, or otherwise damaged, and could thus not re-sell that part in good conscience), they should make it right if the screw-up was with their shipping department.
As for just dropping a cryptic email, and expecting everything that you always wanted to know- try the time-honored, old-fashioned, personal approach. Pick up the phone, and start a worthwhile dialogue.
It's always worked for me...
By the way I did call with my grevience, twice, I found no worthwile dialogue from the other end of the line, only defensive manuvering. All for a $6.00 part. Very rude to the customer. I would definatly recommend e-mail (to lessen the personal confrontation) unless you like to elevate your bloodpressure. They act like you work for them and not the other way around.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn
Pay with everything with a credit card (not debit card). If there is a problem with the product a simple email or letter to your credit card company puts the payment on hold and places the seller on notice that if he made a mistake he has to make it good.

Even the best companies make mistakes sometimes.....Its how they resolve those mistakes that makes difference of really a good company or a bad one.

It sounds like pmdclassics tried to go through all the right steps to resolve the problem. Inline Tubes just gave him the total run-around.
In my case I felt I owed them for the fine looking lines I did receive, therefore I didn't want to withhold what was do to them (the majority of the money) I just wanted them to do the right thing and exchange the $6.00 clips. They refused. Thinking the customer service guy was confussed, I called back and talked to another individual with the same answer of H&LL NO we won't help you out.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH
No, I don't work for them. But I have known John and James for several years. I have dealt with them personally- which provides significantly more insight that whatever can be gleaned from either an email, or a brief telephone conversation with one of their sales reps.
If you can match, using a hand-held tubing bender, every correct bend and angle in a fuel or brake line, hats off to you. You're better skilled than just about anyone else on the planet. The tubes from InLine are formed on massive, elevated CNC tubing benders, to allow forming of lines that would otherwise be impossible (due to the swing arc that would result from the machine re-positioning between certain bends).
InLine is the only company that I know of that has this capability. They are also the only company that has correctly reproduced GM emergency brake cables, down to the most minute details.
Most people contact companies such as InLine, saying "I need a brake line for a 1966 LeMans." The problem is, there were often running changes to designs, that are dependent on the exact build date of the vehicle. Then, GM often had different suppliers serving different plants. So, in reality, to get EXACTLY the part that came off of your car, you would need to know the EXACT build date, the assembly plant, as well as the specifics concerning the engineering change that implemented the design change. Did the EC specify to begin using the new parts EXCLUSIVELY on a certain date? Or, was the EC written to use existing parts until the supply was exhausted, and only THEN switch over to the new ones?
Most people unfamiliar with production assembly plant practices have no idea just how complicated it is to determine exactly what part was originally installed on a car 30-35 years ago, with little or no documentation of the assembly line realities of that time.
I beleive you have stated it in a nutshell. These guys make nice lines and from thus comes there arrrogance. It is simply not woth it to me to be treated this way. There heads have swelled to amasing proportions. They (or there employes) can no longer do any wrong. Read my other posts I do not often complain about companys. I guess I was raised different treating customers this way is just wrong. By the way I own my own business (apparently not as good as theirs as I have made mistakes).

Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<rant>
I refrained form re-telling my tale in my earlier post, but now the memory of this INline Tube experience gets me riled up again after 5 years. Maybe because I'm hearing someone defend someone that gave me poor uncaring service and had return policies that made me pay for their mistake..Maybe because so many other folks at companies in this hobby have been so great...

Granted every person gets a different take on things..,

TJH, You're obviously right that getting the exact part requires a lots of info, and in some cases you can't get that exact piece.
In my case I had that info. I Drew a detailed picture, I took photos of my existing lines in place, as well as their lines. I measured my lines and theirs and posted the photos and the written info on the web so that the person at Inline Tube and I could look at them at the same time and review things.

I received, what I feel, were 2 incorrect pieces in my kit, which I spent over $135.00 on.

After politely spending some time with me when I called and gave him the URL and looking at the photos of the parts they sent and comparing them to the pictures in their catalog which I had ordered ahead of time, the 2 guys I talked to there said that the picture is "Only a representation", but agreed that I got the wrong part for MY particular car...BUT... that it would work if I reused my Booster line and bent it to fit. instead of using the new one they sent me. The booster line was NOT the incorrect part(s) I was concerned about... A return, they said, would cost me a $25.00 restocking fee plus shipping.... Neither of which I wanted to hear or do!

Two of the guys there told me that they had patterns of every version of 67 GTO ever made. He told me that my lines must of been changed at some point. He gave no ground on:
..Early build date, Fremont built, RamAir, being a convertible.

All issues that I suggested might have contributed to the car being an ODDball, and which MAY have made the brake lines unusual. They told me that "something has been changed because they were not made that way."

The car was My Dad's. I took the lines off that weekend for the first time.
Maybe that's what got me so upset,,, Being told that I didn't know what I had "done or not done" to the car.
I agree with the previous posters that hold that an Employer is totally responsible for all the employees and what they say or do.

Quote:
By the way I own my own business (apparently not as good as theirs as I have made mistakes).
Right on 455earlybird...

I almost hate to say it, but as a business owner, I will personally (if I know how, I do have employees that are way more skilled than I) fix anything that an employee does that makes any customer feel slighted. It's just common courtesy.

Lately I have seen lots of talk on these boards about poor customer service. I have seen a few posters (in essence) put forth the opinion that "the customer is not always right and should pay whatever I ask him/her to pay"
It's bad that employees of companies feel that way. It's worse when the owner does. That really gets my Goat..

</end rant>

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372

Last edited by vidguy; 08-30-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 AM

ifthe boss can't be responsible for the employees actions they he doesn't need to be the boss. it's that simple, if it's your name on the door it's your responsibility. period.

arrogant sales people do nothing but cost sales and run customers off.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm going to chime in too on this. Inline Tube stinks. I bought a complete set of stainless fuel and brake lines for my 65 Catalina. When I tried to install them, they didn't fit. P8's were built on either a boxed frame or a
c-channel frame. I later discovered that Inline only makes lines that fit on a boxed frame. Partly my mistake for not knowing exactly what model and body style Pontiacs used the C-channel frame, but try to find any documentation on it. On the other hand, when I pointed out the fact that the lines were wrong for my car, they told me to find the right ones, send them out, and they'll make new ones. Right. I eventually did find a decent set that I was able to salvage, but when I called, they said that I can't return the wrong ones, AND they wanted full price for bending new ones. What a joke. So I was stuck with lines I couldn't use. I even sent them digital photos that clearly showed where the lines didn't match up..."NOPE! Not gonna help ya". What a bunch of a-holes. One of their excuses was that nobody that has a c-channel framed P8 would be restoring because they assumed they were only on sedan bodied cars. I've seen c-channel frames on 4-door hardtops, and also Grand Prixs...why? I couldn't tell ya.

Bottom line is that they have terrible customer service, won't take the time to help, and won't admit their errors. I honestly can't say enough bad things about them...

Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the warning on inline tube. I would never do business with a company that sent you the wrong part and refused to take it back and reimburse you for your shipping costs. There are too many good companies out there that treat the customer correctly.

Tim C

Old 08-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Senior Chief

I too had a poor experience with Inline Tube on a brake kit I purchased from them. It's a long story so I won't go into it, but I did post about it a little over a year ago.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I've got a good news story about this

And the good news is, CLASSIC TUBE.

I ordered a set of stainless lines for the diff only for my '66 GP. Must admit I ordered them nearly 2 months back but they told me there was a 6 week lead time. Right on 6 weeks I e-mailed them and they said "3 days".

3 days later I e-mailed them and they said, "ready to ship - going out tomorrow". 8 days later, here they are, half way round the world in my hands. Just perfect.

Actually, this is the second time I have used Classic Tube. About 8 years ago I ordered a full set of Stainless lines, Brake, Fuel & Trans for my 1965 Parisienne Convertible. This car was built FACTORY right hand drive. Now stupid here (that's ME), thinks that all I'll have to do is turn the front brake line over, bit of a tweak here and there and it will be OK.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Never fit in a month of Sundays. Plus on a RHD car the tube diameters are slightly different across the front to compensate for the additional travel for the fluid. So, I contacted Classic Tube, told them my problem, suggested I send them my old lines to copy and they agreed to it all. No problems at all.

These guys know how to do business. Very impressive. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryrestoparts
I've heard lots of stories about inline tube. it's a 50-50 split on good experiences versus bad experiences. I don't think they have a corner on the market with what they offer, so I have always gone some other place when I've needed items they carry.

over on an Olds board a guy is having quite a BAD experience with Inline. he even posted an email he received from one of the owners which basically told the customer to "bring it on, I'm not afraid of you" and also "I'm not responsible for what my sales people do". It's that second comment that really makes me wonder about Inline.

edit: here is the exact post from the Olds board. The person received an email from James Kryta

Words e-mailed to me from Inline Tube

"Bring it on.....

I have run into a lot of arrogant people in this hobby and a lot of empty threats. If you had a problem with a line, all you had to do is bring in the one we made with the one off the car and we would straighten it out. But no, you want to talk Sh*t. That is easier than doing any work. Furthermore, there are 20 people that work at Inline Tube and I will not be held personally responsible for every bad decision they make. We make every effort to take care of problems as they arise. Hide behind your screen name, that's ok. As far as your threat, bring the line and lets dance. James Kryta 586 532 1338"

That was me. If a company is going to call themselves the "brake line experts" they better be able to back up that claim.

They dont know every line and when they sell the wrong stuff, its the customers fault and not theirs. Then they say you are the problem, you are putting them on wrong, or gave them the wrong info.

After I have told them a million times the fuel line they sell as "standard OEM" is wrong, they still list the wrong line on their website.

Kryta started this by bidding on a 71 442 on eBay to find out the guys reserve. The guy would not reveal it to him, so he decided to bid it up to find out what it was. Once he got the number, he retracted his 200,000 bid. Then he had the gall to say he did nothing wrong.

I wouldnt tell my worst enemy to use Inline Tube for parts.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bump...

Old 10-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Suspended

So inline tube is out! what about Classic tube? I'm getting ready to buy brake lines for my '65 Convertable. I'm putting 70 Monte carlo Disk's on the front. Any warnings about them/that.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guys at Inline are very knowledgeble and experienced. I have known them personnally for some time now. Usually when a customer recieves a part that doesn't fit correctly it was because information was poorly relayed regarding the application or even that the part to be replaced was not the original. Now once in a while a mistake may happen with any company, but that doesn't make the entire company a rotten business.
P.S. And if a customer calls acting abrasive and confrontational, that usually doesn't help the process move smoothly either. Bryan

Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been to Classic Tube many times,If there's a problem I just drive over,it's only 45 mins.Good bunch of guys.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont agree with their tactic of advertising on ebay for an NOS item when in fact its a repro. Thats just WRONG.
Also advertised it would fit a 67-8 with 4 pistons.I asked how could it fit both a single piston and a 4 piston caliper,answer was it wouldnt fit the 4 pistons ones only the singles. Did they thank me for trying to head off future problems with misapplication? No. Did they correct the description to read "only fits single piston caliper". No. Did they correct the misleading ad that says its NOS but in fact its repro.NO. Ive always delt with classic tube and had good results.
I infact do repro a few lines myself and still buy the bulk tube and form bend etc. I have been reproing lines alot longer than inline tube has been in business and cant see whay they need to stoop low to gain business.
Also want to note theres alot of lines that dont just take a flare on end to do correctly.
I hope you guys doing this with your $8 Home Depot tubing flare dont have a fuel fire or brake line failure.
I do agree with the shipping part.
I hate making a perfect line 14ft long then bending it for shipping.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Right Stuff Detailing is in excellent company and they are very friendly.

Closed Thread