Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default buying a car out of the country

I was looking for some info on purchasing a car from Norway. Whats involved and the cost for getting it back here. Is there anyone who has done this and what is involved? Thanks Fred

Old 07-10-2020, 05:03 PM

Talk to the supervisor in your local DMV about what steps you must go through. There are also attorneys who specialize in title problems. Four years ago I purchased a car in Canada. Getting it through customs at the border added about a grand to the transport fee. It took me four months and at least 120 hours on my time to obtain a Texas Title. My file of correspondence is 2 inches thick. I even had to take the car to a regional Highway Patrol station that specializes in Theft recovery to have the Vin certified and to make sure it was not a stolen vehicle in the US or Canada. It would have to be pretty Rare for me to consider buying outside of the US again. I have been told it varies by state and also by counties within the state.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The US Customs website has some general information on their website: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car There are companies who you can hire to oversee the process, and can take care of all the legwork required to get the car to a shipping facility in the US (typically somewhere on on the east coast) but the trick will be finding one that has experience in getting cars from Norway.

There are a few guys here on the board who live in Norway, they may be able to provide information on how they got their cars shipped from the US to Norway - the same firms they used may be able to advise on getting cars shipped here.