Old 02-09-2018, 12:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tip For R/R Heads - Engine in Chassis

R/R heads the easy way. If the engine is in the chassis and you need to R/R the heads for any reason, try this approach and you will save yourself some grief. Just leave the exhaust manifolds in place. We are assuming stock manifolds here and not tube headers. Disconnect the header pipe first. Remove the head bolts. Get some help or use your engine crane to lift the heads off with manifolds in place. These babies are pretty heavy. You will save yourself groveling under the car trying to get the manifold bolts back in and tightened. I used this approach on one of my cars when I changed head gaskets on both banks. It worked a treat. At that time I was a bit younger and managed it myself. Recently I had the opportunity to do so again as I had the heads with manifolds off to do valve springs. This time I failed to replace the manifolds before putting the heads on. I knew I could not handle the weight myself and figured ,hey, how hard can it be to put those little log manifolds back on from underneath the car. Boo Hoo, big mistake. Passenger side required raising engine about 2 inches to get the two center bolts to go into the manifold holes. Drivers side was a chore to do. The right center manifold bolt was blocked by the steering shaft and was difficult to do. So, if you are a bit over the hill I suggest to file this bit of information away for the next time you have to R/R the heads. I needed 3 days recuperation after my fiasco.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can install the manifolds easier if you slip the bolts into the manifold bosses before you place the manifold in position. That way, you won't have all that bolt length getting in the way. Another tip on installing heads alone is to get a couple of old head bolts or some all thread to use as dowel pin guides. Cut the heads off the old bolts and slot the end for a screwdriver. Then, when you are leaning over a fender holding that monster, you can slide it down the dowel pins and it'll go right in place without slipping and ruining your new head gasket. You only need 2 pins for each side to be effective.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good tips. Thank you guys!!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-20-2018, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're going to remove the heads while the engine s in the car, remove two rocker arms, one on each end of the head. Then, pull the two push rods and then reinstall the rockers and adjusting nuts. Now use the rocker arms as handles to grab and pull the head. Works great

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 07-12-2020, 03:02 PM

good tip!