Old 06-29-2020, 11:51 AM

Default Rear Convertible Window - Cleaning Technique

The plastic rear window on my convertible top has completely hazed over to the point that I can no longer see through it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean it? I am hoping that I can get the window back to its original clear state. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't say how old the window (top) has been on the car but I can tell you that one the plastic turns white, the window is toast.

Something happens to the clear after many years, typically it's from exposure to the sunlight that turns the clear to white.

Once it starts to do that there is no going back.

Those plastic windows only last for so long and then it's time for a new top.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:07 PM

Car has been stored in a heated garage (under a car cover) for the last 30+ years. I am trying to get the "bugs" out of it, so that it is safe to drive around town on the weekends. I would guess that the top is close to 40 years old, but still looks good (except for the window). The plastic window has some kind of yellowish (and somewhat tacky) residue on it.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, I'm pretty sure any of the companies that sell tops also sell products for cleaning the plastic windows. But you should be able to find such products anywhere including Amazon. This write up gives some good advice but there are many others on the web including youtube videos.

Google Cleaning plastic convertible top windows and check them out.

Sorta like cleaning the modern plastic headlight lenses except the window is soft plastic so probably not possible to use abrasives successfully.

I agree with Peter, if this discoloration gets bad/deep in the plastic, just like the headlight lenses, you'll spend a lot of elbow grease and you won't be happy with the results.

A power polisher might be better than elbow grease but be careful not to heat up the plastic while polishing.

http://www.carcleaningguru.com/resto...lastic-window/

Jeeps and a lot of modern cars use plastic windows so the cleaning technology is probably a lot better than it was back in the day when fogged up plastic windows was the rule. Don't really remember but I suspect we used to try toothpaste back in the day, Without success.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM

Thanks John...Been watching videos today and just purchased a bottle of Meguiar's® PlastX™ Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish. I will give it a try next week and will get before & after photos. Fingers crossed....

Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rear convertible window

Can’t the rear window be replaced separately from the top?

Old 07-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using the Meguiars Plast-X for over 25 years and it works well on hazing. If it's tuned yellow, it's time for a new window. I had a new top done on my '67 in 1985. By 1991, the rear window was yellow and opaque. I had the window replaced then (not the whole top) by an upholstery/top shop, and it still looks decent. The car has been garaged since 1995 or so, but I've put over 80,000 miles on it since then.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:41 PM

Finally got time today to tackle the rear plastic window on the convertible. It had a heavy yellowish film (very tacky) and visibility was zero through the window. After a bottle of Meguiar's PlastX and lots of "elbow grease", I was able to make a significant improvement. I would say it is at least an 80% improvement and is clear enough to see what is behind me now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Convertible Window Cleaning - 7.11.2020.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	544738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Convertible Window Cleaning - 7.11.2020 (3).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	544739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Convertible Window Cleaning - 7.11.2020 (4).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	544740  

Old 07-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That doesn't even look like the same window. Good job!

Old 07-11-2020, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great job. Pat yourself on the back and grab a beer. Gotta be super happy.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that you have it clean,this is a great product for keeping it in good condition.It used to be only avail from the aircraft industry for the plexi windows on airplanes.Have been using it on my boat windows for years.Tom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303-Aerospa...AAAOSwDZ1bKAEh

Old 07-12-2020, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent advice on the 303. I've gotta try it next time. I have some I've used on plastic trim on my newer cars, it works great. WMurrell, glad the Plast-X worked for you. I've been using it for years, with the same results you got. Good job!!