Old 07-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Disc brake quiet products

Lots of products to choose from in what appears to be two main categories: spray on or rub on stuff that starts out sticky then dries or silicone based gel like grease product to smear on back of pads. Lots of people on line who swear BY each type as well as many who swear AT each product type. What have you guys used?

Old 07-24-2020, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are plenty of competitors in the field, from doing this for a living there is no one size fits all when it comes to quieting disc brake squeal. I've never had great success using greases and lubes to stop brake squeal. I've had the best success with the adhesive products, and simple RTV if I have nothing else at hand.

Brake lining quality has as much influence as what you use on the metal side of the pads, at least in my experience. Foreign manufacturers in particular have their own compounds for lining and sometimes using aftermarket linings there is no way they will not squeal, Honda and Toyota have this distinct quirk that no matter whose lining you use, other than factory lining, they will squeal.

In my findings it's hit or miss whether new linings will remain silent, YMMV.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated