Old 07-16-2020, 11:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought I would update my build thread for those following along. Repairs to the driver's quarter are continuing - to deal with that wicked low that was just about on the body line at the rear of the wheel opening, a portion of the wheel house was cut away.

Now with access to the back Cam has the metal moving where he likes it. You can see that this poor car had a tough life. This driver's quarter has been hit probably twice and maybe three times.

Getting it straight and metal finished is a lot of work - but it is worth it to save the original metal and end up with minimal filler. Anyway -- Here are the pictures...I know that is what y'all want to see.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Quarter Mid July.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	545085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side Mid July.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	545086  

Old 07-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A bit more progress on the driver's quarter - need a little attention to a few spots, especially below the body line at the back and the area of the quarter window - but getting pretty close to moving on to the next panel.

Edit -- I just realized how similar these photos look to the last set. You will have to trust me when I tell you that the improvement in the evenness and profile is substantial.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Driver Quarter Late July.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	545752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Body Line Late July.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	545753  

Old 07-25-2020, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just came across this thread and have enjoyed reading through the pages. Things are coming along nicely! Looking forward to more updates along the way.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-25-2020, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good....pick and file....pick and file....pick and file ..shrink and slap....And Iam also in the camp for keeping original sheet metal and spot welds .

Last edited by MUSLCAH; 07-25-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up 64 in a basket wow

great progress photos and info !!!! i love it....thanks interesting !

Old 07-26-2020, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Name:	84D876B9-EDD6-47FA-90C7-24155BCF2812.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	545840When I get my 64 GTO...if the guy evah parts with it....been sitting in a garage for 40 + years. Heck...I even got and paid for the PHS ! Tri Power with Auto...# matching....black/ black.....it will look like this......

Old 07-26-2020, 05:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks everyone - I am glad people are enjoying the thread and are following along. It weird how much posting progress and interacting with you folks keeps me inspired.

Musclcah -- The one I tried to buy for years sat in front of a house, sinking into the ground. I stopped a couple of times a year for a long time...Getting that "I'm gonna fix it up" and "You are my first call if I decide to sell it" rigmarole - one day it was gone. Anyway -- I hope you land that 64 and she turns out beautiful.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has your 64 lived in the rust free state of Idaho it’s whole life ?

Old 07-26-2020, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No - according to PHS it delivered new to Madison, WI. I bought it out of Las Vegas and the Previous Owner bought in Southern California (1987-ish). I'm pretty sure it spent some time in western Colorado based on an old license plate with the car.

Whatever its path to me - it is very rust free. Too bad people couldn't keep from stacking her up repeatedly.

BTW -- tomorrow will mark 56 years since she rolled out of the Pontiac, MI plant. On the road 23 years...off it 33 and counting.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
No - according to PHS it delivered new to Madison, WI. I bought it out of Las Vegas and the Previous Owner bought in Southern California (1987-ish). I'm pretty sure it spent some time in western Colorado based on an old license plate with the car.

Whatever its path to me - it is very rust free. Too bad people couldn't keep from stacking her up repeatedly.

BTW -- tomorrow will mark 56 years since she rolled out of the Pontiac, MI plant. On the road 23 years...off it 33 and counting.
That is the kind of car you start with....not these rust buckets everyone is trying to save...

Old 07-27-2020, 10:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The lack of rust was probably the biggest plus for this car when I was looking at it.

I have done the rust repair thing - when I frame-offed my father's '61 Willys Jeep. I had my hand in those repairs since it is basically flat panels - and it seemed never ending. It was sentimental attachment that drove that project - but I learned to have a real critical eye for rust in any car I would buy to restore.

I am glad that I am not in the Northeast or Midwest - those folks often don't have a lot of choices and the Western cars are getting pretty picked over at this point.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can you tell that I am excited to be making some progress again?

Here are a couple of shots showing the latest work. The driver's quarter near the door pillar had a spot that liked to oilcan pretty easy - so that area has been addressed and some straightening of damage in that section has also been done. Getting pretty close to finishing up the metal finishing on this quarter - then on to the doors and front fenders. We are keeping our fingers-crossed that they are in better shape. (Hey it never hurts to hope!)

Thanks for following along. I hope everyone is enjoying the thread.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Driver Quarter Near Door Post Late July 2.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	546103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Quarter Near Door Post Late July.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	546104  

Old 07-30-2020, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing wrong with getting excited. It's like being a kid at Christmas. It's coming along nicely! Keep 'em coming.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good Wild Cat. Your cars progress looks to be about 1 year behind mine. Hopefully your'e getting close to beginning blocking.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Tempest1964 and Cardo.

Quote:
Hopefully your'e getting close to beginning blocking.
I hope so too. As far as sequencing goes, the next steps are to make sure the doors and fenders are up-to-snuff. And address some damage to the core support which I think is where some gap issues with the driver door to fender are coming from. Then a quick frame check and setting the gaps. After that epoxy, filler and blocking.

Here is a look at the core support - you can see the repairs to the drivers side. The driver's fender is clearly a replacement for the one that was smacked.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Core Support.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	546177  

Old 07-31-2020, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wild Cat....just a little FYI....( if you already had it done ...that’s great ).... But before you get into fitting everything.....make sure that car gets on a frame machine and get it all measured up and squared up,with the gauges.. Most people that start a restoration project ,have no clue what Iam cooking here. You’ll thank me later.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Muslcah -- It is definitely headed to the frame shop (Boise has a good one thankfully).

When I had the body lifted everything dropped in the right place - so I figured it was good enough to get the basic bodywork done, but final fit is going to be after the frame jig. I'll be dropping a drivetrain in it too - so the weight will be on the suspension when the gaps are done.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
Hey Muslcah -- It is definitely headed to the frame shop (Boise has a good one thankfully).

When I had the body lifted everything dropped in the right place - so I figured it was good enough to get the basic bodywork done, but final fit is going to be after the frame jig. I'll be dropping a drivetrain in it too - so the weight will be on the suspension when the gaps are done.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Yah done good ! Yah nevah know....the front and rear rails could be over too...and that would mess up the bumper alignment and Rad support. And yes..make sure it’s sitting on the tires for panel alignment.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Muslcah -- In for a penny in for a pound on this one.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi everyone -- I thought I would post a couple pictures of the floor to show how solid the car is in terms of rust. (Looking at the photos -- I should have laid on the floor. It's really tough to get good pics of the floor).

I've also mentioned in the past how the rear suspension crossmember had been damaged - presumably from time spent being launched hard (and on slicks). The repairs are ugly but seem functional.

Thanks for following along...and keeping me motivated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floors from front.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	546559   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor from rear.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	546560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension xmember.jpg
Views:	414