Old 06-25-2020, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I'm an expert at nothing...There are different ways to use RTV, not sure what the Right Stuff is...A Super RTV???

I use Permatex Ultra black, or ultra gray, or ultra copper, for what ever application is needed. IF you apply it, and assemble your parts, while it's still wet, it WILL be an ordeal getting whatever back apart. My buddy's son is a certified GM trained technician, he's got his own shop now. He won't use the permatex stuff, says it's not nearly as good as the GM stuff??? I'm thinking HOW much better can it be???

Pre 2008 or so. I'd visit my engine builder. generally had something He was working on for me, sometimes not. Sometimes the visit for to hopefully just gain a little information. Many times his son would be assembling an engine, and he's be waiting for the sealer to set up...some. Usually RTV. Not sure what was being accomplished...exactly. So I let mine setup some, if possible, or needed.
He moved near Tulsa, and doesn't build street engines anymore, many life changes he went through....

Some times RTV can be allowed to completely set up and be bolted together, to be used as a gasket. Seen my engine builder do that too...

I wonder if that is what Stef's intent is, using Right Stuff???

Some where I have a squeeze tube tool, that was sold by Valco, years ago, to be used with squeeze tube gasket sealer. It came with one tube of their sealer. That tool is awesome!!! Gave one to my engine builder, hope he still has it...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-25-2020, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Inot sure what the Right Stuff is...A Super RTV???
The SDS claims "Nitrogen" (propellant), Carbon Black, aluminum powder, and 2-BUTANONE OXIME.

https://441py33rout1ptjxn2lupv31-wpe...lish/25224.pdf

My first guess is that it's Urethane or Polyurethane, not RTV Silicone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I'm an expert at nothing...There are different ways to use RTV, not sure what the Right Stuff is...A Super RTV???

I use Permatex Ultra black, or ultra gray, or ultra copper, for what ever application is needed. IF you apply it, and assemble your parts, while it's still wet, it WILL be an ordeal getting whatever back apart. My buddy's son is a certified GM trained technician, he's got his own shop now. He won't use the permatex stuff, says it's not nearly as good as the GM stuff??? I'm thinking HOW much better can it be???

Pre 2008 or so. I'd visit my engine builder. generally had something He was working on for me, sometimes not. Sometimes the visit for to hopefully just gain a little information. Many times his son would be assembling an engine, and he's be waiting for the sealer to set up...some. Usually RTV. Not sure what was being accomplished...exactly. So I let mine setup some, if possible, or needed.
He moved near Tulsa, and doesn't build street engines anymore, many life changes he went through....

Some times RTV can be allowed to completely set up and be bolted together, to be used as a gasket. Seen my engine builder do that too...

I wonder if that is what Stef's intent is, using Right Stuff???

Some where I have a squeeze tube tool, that was sold by Valco, years ago, to be used with squeeze tube gasket sealer. It came with one tube of their sealer. That tool is awesome!!! Gave one to my engine builder, hope he still has it...
Call it whatever you want. Its super rock hard silicone for all intents and purposes. Tell you one thing, I will not EVER use it on my aluminum Moser center section again. I had to use a 1 ton come along on my cross member pulling very hard to get it off. Never again. I tapped a 5/16 hole for a jack bolt because of that experience. And do not use it on anything thing that will distort when pried , because it will.
Steffs says to use it because of the omitted bolt holes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 05:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use and prefer the stock Felpro pan gaskets for the sides and timing cover but cut my own rear gasket as shown in the pics.

Not one drop of oil gets by this set-up and very little silicone is used anyplace, just a drop in each corner and good to go.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	543343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	543344  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I use and prefer the stock Felpro pan gaskets for the sides and timing cover but cut my own rear gasket as shown in the pics.

Not one drop of oil gets by this set-up and very little silicone is used anyplace, just a drop in each corner and good to go.......
Cliff, how thick it that cork ? It looks like that would seal very well with my pan.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

X2. This is basically what I do also. I use the "black" Felpro or Butler side and front gaskets. I use the early factory cork piece across the rear main cap. I never use the rubber 3 tab or 5 tab rubber pieces across the rear main cap. That is only asking for problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 74SDformula For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74SDformula View Post
X2. This is basically what I do also. I use the "black" Felpro or Butler side and front gaskets. I use the early factory cork piece across the rear main cap. I never use the rubber 3 tab or 5 tab rubber pieces across the rear main cap. That is only asking for problems.
His are wider than typical gasket set piece. Wondering how thick a sheet of cork gasket do I have to buy to copy.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's 1/4" thick but will have to go out and measure it.

I bought a sheet of it about 10 years ago and just used the last of it up last week making a round seal for the air injection fan on my outdoor boiler. It has many uses. I've sold and sent those gaskets to scores of folks building these engines and to date far as I know not one drop of oil has got past one.

You will need a razor knife to precisely cut them. I basically copy the stock cork from a gasket kit but much wider but still the same angle on the ends so the sit flat against the block pan rail. It's not really that fussy to make one, and the best way I've found to date to seal up one of these engines......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got the BOP one piece installed. Took 3 people and a come along. held it up and lowered it with the come along, soft straps on journals, one person to steady it going down with both hands, one person to work the winch and me holding the seal, straight to get it in the bottom of the block. I see why the instructions say you can put the split in the cap but I wanted it in the block, which you think it would be easy, but not so much. Once you sand the seal then do the slinky thing to get it on the crank it does not want to line up.