Old 11-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Chief

Talking 1973 sd by the side of the road.

A few days ago I was at work and I needed a power tool that was at my shop. I was traveling on Rt 80 east and I passed a firebird that was on the side of the road broken down. The car and driver had help it was a NJ Trooper behind him with lights on and hood up. The thing that struck me was the Trans Am hood and the white call out on the shaker. Even at 75 -80 mph you could not miss it. It was not white, blue or red but one of the other Firebird colors. I then knew that it was one of the few 1973 SD Formula's. I should have turned around at that point but had to keep on going. I said If the car is still there when I pass a again I will stop to see if I can help out. You guessed he was still in the same spot. When I pulled up behind him and asked if I could help I was told that he was waiting about an hour for help. I asked what was wrong and was told his heater hose broke. I asked if he had any duct tape maybe that would get him to a service statioin where repairs could be compleated.We startered to talk about his car and you could tell how he loved it for it was his baby the one that he ordered new in 1973. He told me how the dealer kept calling him and saying the GM would not build it because he had to have a 4spd and AC. This went on for almost 9 months. Finnaly he said look I need AC just get me the car so the 4spd was out and tubo 400 trans in. It was fun talking to this man I said if you ever want to sell your car call me and if I can swing it I would love to buy yourr car. Some days things just seem to go right. If he calls that would be great he has my name and number so one can only hope.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what color was it? if it was a burgundy with vinyl top, then that was ken sonner. Though i'd be really surprised to hear that his car blew a hose the way he cares for it. If it was, he's a heck of a nice guy, really nice SD. Did a story on him and the car for SIA a few years back, it's also the same car that was used for the Johnny Lightning 1/43rd SD Formula. If not, cool to hear of another SD still out and about with its original owner.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool story thanks for sharing. Please due feel free to let us know more per x-bird2 reply or maybe he hit it on the spot and your concerned about gold diggers?????????
Wouldn't blame you, believe me!
Brew

Old 09-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Chief

bump

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Senior Chief

bump

Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

bump

Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Senior Chief

bump

Old 11-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

If he has not called you yet or you have not seen the car again after all these years. I dont think you will get it. sorry, Do you have any updates on it?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Senior Chief

Once and awhile I give him a call to see how he is but have not seen the car since it broke down.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:36 PM
Senior Chief

Bump

Old 12-31-2020, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm curious about post #2....You never did answer that question?

Old 01-04-2021, 11:36 PM
Senior Chief

Now for the rest of the story. A few months ago I called the gentleman who I saw broken down on the north bound lane of US route 80. I have tried again before Christmas to reach out again, but the number is not working. Some of you have asked if it was Ken Sooner. The answer is yes it was, I hope if any of you know his whereabouts please send me his information if you would be so kind. Thank you who have read this story and have followed along over these years. May God bless you and God bless our United States!

Old 08-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you know about how old he would be? There was a Kenneth Sonner from New Jersey, born in 1934, Who died in Florida in 2017. He was buried in Bergen County, New Jersey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al2b-...eature=related