Old 03-28-2020, 07:11 PM
Boost Engineer

I am never surprised when people have "carb issues" (when they never "pre-flight" the system) prior to trying to make it run on the engine.

Course I was Trained (Mandated) by the Federal Government to inspect the engine prior to every engine test on the Emissions Cell, be it at my company's dynos or at the EPA's dynos.

So you get in the habit, (5 minutes max) to go over the engine and make sure that all of the parts are functioning before firing the engine.
I did this "Visual Inspection' stuff back in the old Carb Days in the 70s and 80s.

That training has never failed me. 5 minutes. Some spend hours wondering why their stuff does not perform properly.

Tom V.

I did stuff for a Reason.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ha. I call bull **** Tom Vaught!! Don’t tell me you never had issues when you tried to make new stuff work. Training or not. If you didn’t, you must have been the sharpest guy there! You should have been working for Airbus, Boeing, or Space X. They look for 100% perfect engineers or technicians like you. Maybe then, some of their new aircraft wouldn’t crash. That was only the idle issue, not the subject issue which turned out to be the missing choke and aluminum flywheel. Jon’s post prompted me to disconnect all the linkage to troubleshoot the idle. The difference was so slight but enough to cause a few hundred rpm increase when hot. Previously, I had adjusted the rod for maximum throttle blade opening on the outboard carbs. I decided to post the cause of the idle problem because we are all not Turbocharged engineers like you whose stuff runs great after YOUR preflight check!! By the way, would love to see pics /videos of YOUR running GTO some day buddy !!!

Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 PM
Boost Engineer

The Government made me a perfect engineer in that Emissions job.

Ford was fined for cheating on the emissions and Mr Ford had to pay 7 million dollars and do the whole emissions certification over.

The history is in documents if you care to read them.

So they hired me as one of the guys to recert the vehicles.
You play games you go to Levenworth for 15 years, after Ford fires you.

So in my case we signed off on everything. Senior Engineers signed off on OUR work.
Management at World Headquarters signed off on their work.

Triple Inspection deal.

You don't go to prison when you screw up at NASA and get people killed.

Big incentive to pay attention to the job and follow the procedures.

So yes, You can call Bull**** and not know a thing about the subject.

The rest of your post is just envy because you never had to do anything perfect the first time out of the chute.

Tom V.

We had a card signed by Henry FordII that said basically Do what this person asks you to do, if you have questions about this here is my phone number. If you don't under stand, I will explain it to you. Do not think HF-II was ever called on that phone number.
I did show the card to a UAW guy one time when I was taking parts out of a plant.
He raised a stink, I showed him the card, He HELPED me carry the parts to the truck I was using to get the needed parts for a test.

You don't have a clue, guy. I ran a aluminum flywheel for 95% of the miles on the vehicle and never had an issue.
So why did you have an aluminum flywheel issue?

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 03-28-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:35 AM
Boost Engineer

I have posted carb advice in the past. Some listen, some choose not to listen.
Some have threads with 100 posts asking questions before someone identifies the problem for them.

Like I said in my post, a "pre-flight" inspection has never hurt any Pilot flying an airplane and it is typically mandated by the FAA and taught in flight training.
Pilots do it and they have thousands of hours flying the airplanes. Every time they do it.
Why? For a reason. They find stuff vs have the chit hit the fan and then radio "Help me Help me".

I give advice based on Experience and Learning from others over the years the proper methods from people smarter than me. Did my first carb on a Tractor when I was ten years old. That was about 60 years ago.

I have posted Holley Carb info over the years, Rochester Carb info, and Race Carb info on this board. I make an occasional 'Fat Finger" or the PY Board's spell checker changes a letter or word. All that means is that I need to occasionally fix something. No RIGHT or WRONG. No NASA/Boeing BS comments.

Most times the carb instructions over the years have explained the proper adjustment for the Tri-Power Linkage.
Typically there is a about a 1/2" window of clearance on the slotted bar between the Center Carb and the Rear Carb.

Many instructions say adjust the rod between the two outboard carbs so that there is room for heat expansion of the parts so that you do not have a pair of throttle blades partially open and causing a high idle. A "pre-flight" inspection and a look at the carb instructions before firing an engine saves a lot of people's time down the road.

That is sound advice, if you get butt-hurt from sound advice, not my problem.

Tom V.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever. I'm not into the ego thing. This isn't a job interview. This one of a few hobby/project cars I get to mess for only couple hours every few months.

The big 455 2GC is a factory lean-jetted emissions carb originally designed for a low compression engine. I've adapted it for use as the center carb for more drivability on the center before the custom enlarged outboard carbs come in.. There is no manual for that!

And to that goal, a 1/2 inch margin window on the slotted bar is definitely not what I was after when setting this up.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed that the slotted linkage rods for various Tripower linkages have several different part numbers--having to do with the length of the slot. It puzzles me, however, that the slot is too short in your setup. The geometry of the center carb throttle lever, I thought, was the same from 1961 until into the 1970's.

I was surprised that you overlooked interference from the slotted rod as the cause of your high idle. I guess that explains the problem, though. Center carb throttle plates without holes would not have been needed. I would be interested to see some pictures of the installed linkage. Something does not add up.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 03-30-2020, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same end carbs and linkage on a '65 manifold with the '65 small center carb. It worked fine, idled fine for years.

Then I switched everything to a '66 manifold to accommodate the larger size 455 center carb base. That may have moved the center carb a tad bit further forward.
I don't know. There isn't much thread engagement remaining on the slotted link, it is almost all the way out.

It only idled high when the oil got fully up to temperature (It has a 8 qt Canton pan). Since I don't drive this car that much, I only noticed it in January this year after the car's first long drive. The idle problem was not the original reason for this thread.

There is a photo of my linkage on post #66.