Old 02-21-2014, 12:26 PM

Default PRODUCTION INFORMATON

Hi all,

I was led to this site by an Ebay listing on a 72 GTO that has some question and answer information I'd been looking for but couldn't find. He then led me to this site to find more details. Bottom line is, I understand that there is information on this site from Fred Simmonds regarding production numbers/options for the 72 Lemans/Lemans Sport/GTO options!! I can't seem to find them here. Can anyone help lead me to the information??

Reason I am looking, I have a: 1972 Lemans Sport Convertible with GTO options and I'm trying to figure out how many were made, how rare this one might be?? It has the GTO fenders, scoop hood, endura bumper, 400 4V with turbo auto and console. Cardinal red with black interior.

Any help or direction to Fred's information would be awesome, thanks!!!! Les

Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Search function should get you there.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

`Scan down aways in the following thread:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=745877

209 '72 LeMans Sport verts were built w 400 4bbl/ M40.
That number will not, however, break out whether T41 (endura option) or regular LeMans front end. The production info just was not broken down that far bodystyle & engine wise.

If your invoice shows the WU2 option, the '72 400 4bbl/M40 convert is 1 of 20 with the GT package.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 02-21-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Default ol pinion head nailed it!!

Hi oph!!

You nailed it for sure. It is indeed the 72 Lemans Sport Convertible with 400/4bbl/M40. NOT the GTO option as mentioned but does have the T41 Enduro and about 15 other options so it is 1 of 209 or less depending upon the Enduro bumper. 1 of 209 isn't bad based upon when I bought it, I bought it because the numbers match and the interior and exterior paint are all original!! Shows very well considering age. Oh, and it has 45,000 original miles!! At that time I didn't know it's production numbers, I just liked it and the price seemed more than fair!! I bought it to drive and go to street shows, it is NOT a trailer queen!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHEELS DONE 2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	353873   Click image for larger version

Name:	WHEELS DONE.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	353874   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO DETAIL 1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	353875  

Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great looking car.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 PM

Default indymanjoe

Hi indymanjoe,

Yes, it really is a nice survivor. While it would look even better repainted, I can't bring myself to get rid of the "crackle paint" on the hood. It's such a perfect reflection of the old paint used on these rigs. I bought this because in May of 1972, I was 23 years old and traded my gold/cashmere 67 GTO in on a brand new 72 GTO in these exact colors and engine except it was a hardtop. It was a great driving and optioned car but a slug compared to the 67 that was all motor and 4 speed, NO power equipment at all. Before I can't drive anymore, I have to have a 67 again to finalize that midlife craze crap!! BUT, I don't plan to let this one go to do that. A 67 and 72 with their noses sticking out of a garage side-by-side just gets the rush going!! Les

Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great looking car - I'm a big fan of the endura convertibles.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-21-2014, 07:43 PM

Default BOSS

Thanks Boss, I really didn't know what I had until recently. I traded my 57 Chevy for it and most recently dug into the PHS docs which started the eye opener experience. Its amazing that its 90% original and all the important stuff is original to the car. This thing hid away a long time without seeing the road. Sometime this spring I'll try to backtrack ownership and see what I can find.

Funny how classic cars go. These were kinda like the 58 and 59 Chevys back a few years. You couldn't give them away, now they are HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eventually I'll find a picture of the new 72 I traded my 67 for and get a picture on here. I think I have 1 picture somewhere of the 67 also. Looking at it makes me SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was perfect, traede it in on the 72 and got $750. for it!! But the new, loaded 72 was $3,400. so seemed like a deal then!! Les

Old 07-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice find. I see you also still have a 56 Chev sedan delivery in your garage. I have the same convertible as you I'm finishing up a frame off resto on, and also have a 55 Chev sedan delivery in my garage I did a frame off on.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default You do realize that this post is SIX and ONE HALF YEARS old ?

And the OP has not been on PY since 2014......

But, I agree, it is a nice LeMans!