THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to my friend that sold me the car and asked him flat out should I return the difference and he gave me an unequivocal no. He told me the finance/service/general managers only see two types of customers. The ones who they cuss when they leave or the ones they laugh at. Which one do you wanna be?

Old 07-20-2020, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I reckon the dealer was smart. They gave you $400 for a $359 ask by you. That way they have covered their tail just in case you opened it up, found some other part not right and then you go running back with your paw out.

The fact they offered you more could be construed that they have covered the part and a bit of goodwill. I'd say they are well off the hook on that one.

Keep the extra $ and maybe you will remember they saw you right and maybe you will talk well about them to a friend. Or you might go back yourself one day?

Everyone is a winner here.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
I reckon the dealer was smart. They gave you $400 for a $359 ask by you. That way they have covered their tail just in case you opened it up, found some other part not right and then you go running back with your paw out.

The fact they offered you more could be construed that they have covered the part and a bit of goodwill. I'd say they are well off the hook on that one.

Keep the extra $ and maybe you will remember they saw you right and maybe you will talk well about them to a friend. Or you might go back yourself one day?

Everyone is a winner here.
I would go back. I just wouldn’t let a service tech verify the function of something that was “weak”.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I would go back. I just wouldn’t let a service tech verify the function of something that was “weak”.
He showed you it was failing. It was obvious to any reasonable person that complete failure was going to happen. You hoped that it wouldn't die completely during your ownership.

You were wrong.

I would have accepted my mistake and moved on.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Champ you’re missing the point. It being weak sucked but I was willing to get out and open it but from my research there are 3 modules in the actuator, Up,Down, and Lock. Lock FAILED!!!!. There is a difference between oh it’s weak and you have to help it up and oh it’s BROKEN and it WIL NOT open without forcing it. I was at Lowe’s the very next day and it would NOT open for anything. I had to push the hatch release on the key fob while kicking the door from the inside. I suspect the technician that demonstrated its “weak” opening had already managed to get it unlocked before pulling it around.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would you be okay with a super tired race motor that now struggles to make
even half of what it once dyno'd? And not for it's components, you gotta keep
using it as a race motor. Because, hey, it still works, it's just "weak".

Old 07-20-2020, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s an idea. Buy a new car next time. Stop blaming the dealer because you expect a used vehicle with a bunch of miles to be perfect but not pay a lot for it. At least don’t buy a used vehicle with all kinds of things that will fail at some point. Move on.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think it was a solid move to ask your friend that sold it to you if you should return the $$. That’s all you can do- he says keep it then keep it.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Here’s an idea. Buy a new car next time. Stop blaming the dealer because you expect a used vehicle with a bunch of miles to be perfect but not pay a lot for it. At least don’t buy a used vehicle with all kinds of things that will fail at some point. Move on.
I’ve bought enough new cars in my life. I’ll let someone else lose 65 grand in 10 years then take their hand me down for a fraction of the cost. They gave her 6700 on trade for a new Highlander. The Escalade was over 70 new. And all this venom being spit, I asked the question because I felt like there was a difference between weak and broken. If they had said hey man the motors ****ed up and the tailgate won’t open that’s one thing! Saying it will still open just not automatically is another.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

64, I think you missed the point. Weak means about to fail. Any REASONABLE person understands that.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mine had something similar happen to him. He had to fight back and forth with a Toyota dealer on getting a new evaporator installed in a used 4 runner, after he had only owned the vehicle for a week. They kept the vehicle for a month (he had another car to drive) while they tried to wear him down on the cost of the replacement, which was over $1000. I know what happened. The used car dept had the service dept charge the AC up when the last person traded in the vehicle, and "hoped" it would last a while. If they would have paid to put in the evaporator before the sale, it would have cut $1000 out of their bottom line. He paid for an "extended warranty" so they finally ended up covering it. But he had to fight with them. He will never buy from that dealership again. But, honestly, a lot of dealers act the same way these days. Especially the big fancy ones. I worked for a dealership in service about 20 years ago, and I didn't like a lot of the practices they "adopted" after a big time "Auto Group" took them over. If you can find a small, privately owned, old style dealership, those are usually the best ones to deal with.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Again weak and broken and won’t let the tailgate open is entirely different. I was fine with a manual tailgate, I just had to be able to open it which I couldn’t. The plot thickens however. The finance company called me today and told me how wonderful it was to have a new client and thank you for choosing them and all this. A little while later the finance guy from Toyota called and said he needed my income verification and another copy of my drivers license. I said why and he said the finance company wanted it. I said bull**** I’ve already talked to them they are mailing me my payment book today. He sounded flabbergasted. I then proceeded to tell him I was a fraud investigator for the very county he works out of and that Spot Delivery/Yo-Yo financing is illegal in S.C. and that I would call the Ellsworth Law Firm in the morning and get back to him. I got crickets. So I told him to cancel the financing and that I would come pay the agreed upon amount directly to the dealership on Monday as I am busy the next few days. I didn’t want to do that because that was my Tempest money but I’m done with foolishness

Old 07-25-2020, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
64, I think you missed the point. Weak means about to fail. Any REASONABLE person understands that.
64 asked for opinions; the consensus was that he wasn't owed Bupkis by the dealer, and he didn't/doesn't like that answer because he feels he should not be responsible for his poor judgement/choices.
This has nothing to do with 'venom' and everything to do with 'reality' and being a 'reasonable person'. Poor choices result in consequences. Getting a great deal on a used vehicle with known issues is a two edged sword. You hoped the crippled window would last indefinitely, and it didn't. Time to repair it yourself and drive on. You still got a good deal and beat the depreciation.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well regardless the motor for the tailgate was fixed in 15 minutes and it didn’t cost me a dime. I mailed the certified check and will be getting my tag and title in the mail in the next 30 days. Now my Tempest fund is depleted but it’s only money you make more tomorrow.