Old 07-27-2020, 09:27 AM

Default Fit Olds QJet w/Hot Air Choke to Pontiac Intake

Trying to get a '75 Olds hot air choke QJet onto my '76 Pont. Is there a kit with pre-bent hot air tubing, or am I stuck bending them myself?

Also, is there a means to adapt the Chevy style push-on hot air choke to the Pontiac thread-on fitting?

I need to send out my correct numbers carb for rebuild, and I'm looking for a short term replacement. For some reason the Pont quadrajets are much more expensive than the others. I don't feel the need to pay a lot for something that I'll only use for a few months.

Unless of course someone has a low budget functioning, hot air choke Pont QJet.

And, no, I don't want to convert to electric.

Thanks.

76 Trans Am 455, 4 Speed - Current
Old 07-27-2020, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Assuming use in the warmer summer months, have you tried running the car with no choke? Should be running relatively smooth within 30 seconds of starting a cold engine. I have not used a choke for several years, including use in the cooler spring/fall weeks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 07-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Choices are, run with no functioning choke, or fashion a custom hot air pipe for the olds carb, or run an electric choke conversion cap, which you've said you're not even thinking about.

In summer months you could get by with no choke fairly easily. There are hundreds of street cars without chokes that get driven in mostly fair weather during the summer months. I've done it even in the winter, but in the winter it's a real pain to get one started and keep it running. Also not engine friendly to be dumping a lot of raw fuel into the upper cylinders during warm ups by pumping the accelerator pump repeatedly. Much less raw fuel needed during the summer than winter.

If I were to fabricate a custom pipe I would use Nicopp (nickel copper) tubing as it's much more malleable that steel tubing, and easier to work with. Speaking from experience I have used steel tubing to make hot air tubes, and getting the tight bends required usually flattens steel tubing out and kinks it. Bending the Nicopp tubing around a dowel, etc. is much easier than trying to bend steel tubing.

If you're going to need to connect a chevy style tube to the choke housing there is a silicone rubber based hose that doesn't melt under the high heat, I have never tried to source any of that silicone based hose, so I have no idea of where to buy it.

Truthfully it would be less labor intensive to wire an electric choke up than make a custom heat tube. As I've said I've done the custom pipes myself, and it's no picnic to fabricate them. You also need a way to downsize/crimp the tubing where it connects to the manifold. In the past I've successfully used a undersized double flare fixture squeezed in a vise to crimp the tubing down enough to get it to slip into the manifold heat tube.

Your car, and your choice.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-27-2020, 11:27 AM
Senior Chief

If I remember correctly, there used to be a piece of that silicone tubing used between the choke housing and the hot air tube from the factory.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
If I remember correctly, there used to be a piece of that silicone tubing used between the choke housing and the hot air tube from the factory.
That's correct, but very doubtful any GM dealers are going to stock it, if they even still have a part number for it. There haven't been a carbs with hot air tubes on GM cars for close to 30-35 years. Salvage yard parts would be very brittle by now if you found a used one, likely shred if you tried to remove it.

A quick search shows you can buy it online in rolls or lengths, Google high temp red silicone hose 1/4 inch, so it is available if needed.

You asked if the chevy push on style could be adapted to a Pontiac flared fitting. Yes, if you used a short piece of the flared pipe and butted the end to the chevy pipe and slid a piece of the silicone hose over both pipe ends.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 PM

Thanks for all of the quick replies. I think I'm going to try the nickel-copper first. If I screw that up, I'm breaking down for a Pontiac carb.

76 Trans Am 455, 4 Speed - Current
Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ford uses that hose for the DPFE sensor. Measures EGR valve flow. High Temp Silicone Hose.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Converting to elec choke is by FAR the easiest solution.

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude