Old 08-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Positraction for open rear end

So my 70 GTO is a peg leg with factory 3.23 gears (which I think will be fine for a mildly rebuilt 400 A/C car). Would like to make it a posi...what are the best options out there?

Ironically, I just got a price drop email from Jegs on an Auburn differential for $339 (+ $10 off promo).

https://www.jegs.com/i/Auburn-Gear/1...&submodel=BASE

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 08-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This could be fairly easy...if you will use the same gears, measure the existing backlash of the gears, then replace the carrier with the limited slip carrier of your choice and adjust side shims to get proper preload and same backlash as before.

FYI, Auburn carriers are usually cone style and while cheaper, are not rebuildable. Eaton clutch style is the gold standard.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 08-01-2020, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Based on your description of your engine and goals, this little limited slip unit would be a good choice. With street tires, it should get the job done. Inexpensive and a pretty strong warranty. As mentioned, not rebuildable. The cones bite directly into the case. So in real high powered applications, they can damage the case and then the entire thing is a throw away. Doesn't sound like you would overpower it with your description of the 400 engine as mild.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:11 AM

I put the auburn #5420114 in my '70. I had to enlarge the ring gear bolt holes to accept the original 3.23 ring gear bolts. Think the new auburn unit ring gear bolt holes were 3/8 and I had to open them up to 7/16. I wanted to keep the 3.23 ratio. I could not find anyone who made a 3.23 gear new.(which was ok in my situation, the gear was ok) by drilling out to 7/16 you may limit yourself to the ratios you may want to try. I could find a 3.08 and 3.36 ratio and I would guess they were made with 3/8 bolt holes.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back to the OP's question, The Auburn would work for you, but as commented before it is not rebuildable and not the strongest out there. Low performance would be ok. But for the labor involved I would step up to the Eaton for about the $150-170 more.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like this is what I should consider...

https://www.jegs.com/i/Eaton/362/196...&submodel=BASE

$492 is reasonable. I'm shooting for 400hp, but you never know.

One review/comment is of concern...although 4 years ago.

"Close inspection of the Eaton posi revealed apparent casting flaws in the tooth root line of one of the side gears at the heel. Eaton advised not to use. Currently the posi is being exchanged for another unit. Good response from both Eaton and Jegs to resolve this problem."

Gotta imagine they've resolved by now, but has anyone had a similar experience?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400