THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ceramic coating vs wax revisited

There was a discussion a while back about ceramic coatings vs wax. I tried a ceramic coating that I was initially happy with but after the car went through the car wash a few times it felt like it had no protection on the paint. It was clean but it never had that just waxed feeling- where the polishing cloth slides off the car on its own. The paint felt more like freshly cleaned glass.

The ceramic coating I used was chemical guys ‘hydro charge’.

I wanted to go back to waxes and sealants. I decided to strip everything off using dish soap and buffed the car with a light polish.

I will say, the paint seemed to be in excellent condition with the ceramic coat after being parked outside and under trees. So much so I didn’t feel the need to clay bar the paint. I definitely believe the coating worked as far as protection goes.

After buffing the car I went over it with chemical guys ‘butter wax’. Immediately noticed the difference in the luster of the paint vs the ceramic coating. The shine was brighter, deeper and warmer if that makes sense.

This is what I want- I have no problem waxing the car every so often if it will look like this. I used a buffer to apply the wax but looking back I think it would have been better to do it by hand. Once the paint is clean and polished I would allow about an hour for the wax. Easy to put on, easy to take off.

I followed it up with some of their gloss enhancer and was very happy. Ultimately I will probably add a sealant like Zaino or Jet seal, but I was very happy with the way it looked yesterday.

With the ceramic coating the car shined when the sun was on it- with the wax it seems to shine in any light.

Just my opinion- I’ve heard others say they are very happy with the ceramic products, I just wanted to follow up on the discussion since I was initially an advocate for the ceramic coating- I don’t see myself buying it again unless it was a high end version on a brand new car.

This is the car after the wax- not bad for a car that sits outside every day of its life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8958B8E3-A778-492F-8040-6308D9E9BC60.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	546281  

Old 08-02-2020, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are basically 2 types of ceramic. 1st is what I call a semi permanent, then the 2nd is a more permanent (3 years). The best of the 1st type is a hybrid sold by Groits Garage ( Independent tests with video prove its durability). Best of type 2 is a bit debatable, but I have experience with "System X". This stuff is NOT cheap.
All ceramics have the much needed UV protection that most waxes and sealers lack enough of.
Key to any of it is the total and complete cleaning of area to be treated.
For a garaged car that isn't driven much, a clay bar, Wolfgang wax and sealer is fine.
If you leave your car in the sun, ceramic can sure help. New cars do not have much clear coat on them.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The super-slippery paint sure is convincing to me that the car is done.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:09 PM
Suspended

Show-off

Old 08-03-2020, 07:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why you hating on my wife’s daily????

These cars are actually really affordable now

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post