Old 08-03-2020, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default convert manual top to power?

i have a 65 tempest convertible that has a manual top. what all is involved in converting to a power top? i know i would need wiring, switch cylinders, and pump. is the frame different where the cylinders would hook up? am i overlooking anything?
thank bryan

Old 08-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems to be some conflicting stories about this from the Chevelle guys.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/42-...top-power.html

I haven't tried to check the Body Parts Catalog to see if individual frame parts varied. I'm not even sure if PMD serviced individual pieces of the frame.

But I would investigate that first before starting. Maybe somebody has the BPC handy and could check.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Manual vs. power top

On my 63 Lemans; the manual top (63 tempest convertible) had a spring assisted counterbalance ( 2- one per each side) in the rear well. The cars with a power top, (my Lemans) the attachment point where the lift cylinder eyelet bolts to a bushing link to raise the top; there is an added on extension bracket which changes the pivot location of the "lift" about 2" rearward in the well.

Photo #1 and 2 show the manual spring assist (#1) is a car sitting in the junkyard. Photos #3 and 4 show the extension bracket for the power top on my Lemans. The chrome plated eyelet of each of the the 2 lift cylinders attaches to the hole with the red circle for a power top car. (There is a 2-piece nylon bushing plus one spring steel wave washer that fits inside of the eyelet.)

The bolts that hold the eyelet of each power lift cylinder to the top framework are 3/8" in diameter. Those bolts were chrome plated when the car was new. With the top in it's up position the bolts are visible if you look thru the rear plastic window.

I would think 63 and 64 power top cars (small Pontiacs) would be similar in that added bracket (so that GM did not have to make 3 or 4 larger steel top framework parts, ones that only worked on a manual top and then different ones for power).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans convertible top bows 3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	546372   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans Folding Top non power.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	546373   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans Folding Top power Cyl Attachment.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	546374   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans Folding Top power Cyl Attachment~B.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	546375   Click image for larger version

Name:	63LemansConvertibleTopLiftL2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	546376  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 08-03-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Boost Engineer

You are the first PY member to post about having a Manual Convertible Top.

Did not know that they existed. John V might be able to help you out on part
numbers for the convertible, he has been working on his 64 GTO convertible top I believe and he keeps excellent records, (on his 64 A-Body Parts). Sorry, I see he is already helping you.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, the Power Top was standard in all '64 Lemans Convertibles.

The Tempest Custom Convertible was standard with the Manual top. The Power Top was extra cost optional for the Tempest Custom. There was no Tempest Convertible.

No statistics to show how popular the Power Top option was for the TC Convertible, but I suspect it was not uncommon. So not a surprise that you'd never encountered one.

Peter, you remind me that one of the things I did was clean and paint a piece that I think was part of the hydraulic cylinder mounting. I think it was cast iron as I remember it.

My pics and books are not easily accessible at the moment, in the middle of a remodeling project and my stuff is all crammed into available space.

But guessing that the part I'm remembering might be specific to the Power Top. I think they were RH and LH specific too.

bb400ho, if nobody is able to post the info, I will try to dig up my pix as soon as possible.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found this by google search.

From a '67 but guessing the brackets are same or very similar in a '65.

The brackets I remembered are the black brackets on the cylinders. The brackets in turn are bolted to the body, I don't recall the set-up but should be obvious with the brackets in hand.

I'm guessing since the manual top does not have the cylinders, they wouldn't have these brackets. Can't be sure from this pic but I might be mistaken about them being cast iron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top cylinder mounting bracket.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	546397  

Old 08-04-2020, 07:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default conv top

Thanks for the help. i think i see what i will need. part of what was confusing
me was that those rods with the springs on them are not there.
thanks Bryan

Old 08-05-2020, 12:59 PM

I have a complete 64 Lemans power top frame with cylinders in my shop. Available for reference and or sale.