Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-06-2020, 02:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Quadrajet parts interchange

I am building a 7041264 Quadrajet for my 71 gto. The carb I was initially going to use was a Carter version. It ended up having stripped inlet threads and some corrosion inside. However, the airhorn and baseplate are in good shape. I found a Rochester carb body with the same part number that I am considering using. Will the airhorn and baseplate from the Carter work on the Rochester? At first glance I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found the only difference between the Rochester and Carter 7041264 float bowls is that Rochester uses #71 main jet and Carter uses #73C main jets, rest of calibration are the same.
Also, Carter used "softer" castings than Rochester.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 06-06-2020, 04:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
I have found the only difference between the Rochester and Carter 7041264 float bowls is that Rochester uses #71 main jet and Carter uses #73C main jets, rest of calibration are the same.
Also, Carter used "softer" castings than Rochester.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

The only two Qjets that I ever stripped holes on were both Carter-made. One had one top cover attaching screw stripped when I took it apart and I stripped another when assembling it. The other one stripped out the needle and seat base when reassembling it. On both of them, the threads pulled out in the form of some kind of powdery aluminum stuff.

The are DEFINITELY not made of the exact same stuff as Rochesters.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a strange and funny thing with Carter making these because when Carter was going under Chrysler could not get enough Carter Carbs ( there main stay) for there produced run of 4 BBL 318 truck motors and had to switch over to Q-jets in the 80s!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-06-2020, 09:29 AM

Years ago when I was in a Metro Tech college, one of the instructors said that the reason Carter was making Qudrajets was because of a fire at the GM plant. By the late 70's it wasn't uncommon to see Quadrajets with stripped inlets. A lot of torque was used to tighten that one inch fitting. Most one inch wrenches are pretty long and if one wasn't careful, things happened. All of the parts are interchangeable between the Carter and Rochester Quadrajet. Different size engines and different regions of the Us had different jetting and other extra s sometimes added. Especially for colder climates. No I don't know everything about Qudrajets, but I know enough to be dangerous.