Old 06-04-2020, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Oil Drippers

Seeing a post in the for sale thread for 670 heads prompted me to ask if all 670 heads had the oil drippers installed from the factory. When I took the valve covers off my motor there were none.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:02 PM
Suspended

To the best of my knowledge, yes. You should see 2 threaded studs on the head bolts these would attach to. If aftermarket head bolts are used, you won't have the studs. I don't know what later years will have the studs, but the oil shields were eliminated in favor of oil drippers spot welded to the tops of the valve covers.

You don't need them and they are often discarded. I did read that the drippers can act as oil baffles and without them, you may blow oil out the valve cover breathers. Can't confirm that, but the later valve covers with the drippers do not have bafffles and I've never had any issues with blowing oil out the breathers - so it may be myth.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the 670 heads came with the oil dripper baffles.

OEM Baffles on a 67 Survivor.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3ACB6242-DCD4-44A4-B861-93987E8C146C.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	541795   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB421FC1-70AE-485B-8479-75D8036A73F1.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	541796  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Yes, the 670 heads came with the oil dripper baffles.

OEM Baffles on a 67 Survivor.

Chris.
Are they necessary?

Old 06-05-2020, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Are they necessary?
Really? Did you not read Post #2?????????? Want me to re-post??

Old 06-07-2020, 12:14 PM

Default oil drippers

I would think yes because Pontiac made them for a reason

Old 06-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1968 and later Pontiac V8 do not use a breather on valve cover.
And, the valve covers with spotwelded drippers appeared in the early 70´s.

With that said the baffles really help stopping oil from pouring out of the breather on 1967 and earlier engines.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 67 400 engine doesn't have them. It takes a loooong time for a small trace of oil to coat the area on the valve cover around the breather.
I never knew it was supposed to have them until a couple years ago when I saw some and thought "what the heck are those things?"
Not inclined to get them...seems fine without them!

Old 06-07-2020, 09:03 PM
Suspended

No way, just a trace of oil? Humph, according to Kenth's experience, it keeps the oil from pouring out the breather. Are you sure you have a 1967 engine?

I'd be too scared now to run without them for fear of an engine oil fire or running out of oil and spinning bearings.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I do admit to driving like a grandma, and I'm not a car show neat-nick, but no, I don't have issues at all with oil exiting the breather. I might wipe it off twice a season. It never gets to the exhaust manifold. It's a 67 YS, 670's, original bores and pistons, (I think original cam, lifters, rockers, valves too) chrome valve covers (dented, dull and scratched), and AC oil breather (dented, dull and scratched up). 60psi on the highway. But no oil drippers. It did have valve seals re-done back in the day (it had teflon seals when I got it). I'm guessing the drippers disappeared then.
So I humbly submit this one data point for no oil mess with no oil drippers!

Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
Really? Did you not read Post #2?????????? Want me to re-post??
I should have said "are they necessary to help stop oil from blowing out of the breather". Obviously they are not necessary to operate the motor as I have been driving the car for about 10 years now. But, I do have to wipe oil residue off of the valve cover around the breather on a regular basis.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After reading all the replies I have another question. Let me start by saying my motor is a frankenstein. It is a 69 block with 67 670 heads, a 70 or 71 intake and a 71 Rochester 4-bbl carb. With that said, should I be running a breather at all?The motor has a PCV valve on it.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:59 PM

You need some kind of vent tube from the valve cover going to the air cleaner or a valve cover breather. Otherwise the PCV can’t operate, it needs some way to provide some air flow to it.

The baffles are a good way to help oil the rocker arm pivot balls. However if you’re running roller rockers or even just polylock nuts with stock rockers they won’t fit so most of us can’t use them even if we wanted to. On a stone stock engine why not?

Interesting to note that even the RAII and RAIV engines were factory equipped with small stamped steel drippers that attached to the rocker studs to help oil the rocker balls.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do remember having poly locks installed so drippers are no longer an option.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I do remember having poly locks installed so drippers are no longer an option.
I´m using CSB rocker nuts for adjustment, this way i can use the baffles, and have clean valve covers.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 06-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
You need some kind of vent tube from the valve cover going to the air cleaner or a valve cover breather. Otherwise the PCV can’t operate, it needs some way to provide some air flow to it.

The baffles are a good way to help oil the rocker arm pivot balls. However if you’re running roller rockers or even just polylock nuts with stock rockers they won’t fit so most of us can’t use them even if we wanted to. On a stone stock engine why not?

Interesting to note that even the RAII and RAIV engines were factory equipped with small stamped steel drippers that attached to the rocker studs to help oil the rocker balls.
This may or may not help to answer why the oil drippers. It is my understanding, and as I recall, that the factory rocker arm balls are the "smooth" style ball that fit into the rocker arm cup. Not a lot of space/area to hold oil and with higher RPM's can produce a lot of heat. I have seen photos of the balls blued, and no, not what you are thinking.

They seem to be included with aftermarket rocker arms, and these can be bought separately as a set. The rocker arm balls have small grooves in them to allow oil to get in and under the ball, hold oil, and better lubricate the rocker arm cups and reduce heat. This is what I install on my engines if they do not already have them.

A second question with regards to the breather. Depending on the condition of your ring seal, and how tight you spin the engine, you can build up enough internal pressure to force oil out the dipstick, valve cover gaskets, or even a rear main seal. You should have at least 1 functioning breather, and sometimes you may need 2. You definitely need some kind of outlet in the valve cover, ie breather or breather tube going to the air cleaner, in order for the PCV valve to work correctly.

Some of the aftermarket valve covers do not have baffles below the breathers, or simply have no provision for a breather (like finned covers) as there is no opening/hole to fit one. Some come with the baffle, but you have to install it or it is pretty lame. So there are a number of solutions that can be used if you do the research and don't necessarily have to have a factory correct restoration.

But, you do want at least 1 breather along with the PCV valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grooved Rocker Arm Balls.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	542057  

Old 06-08-2020, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I do have a breather on the driver's side valve cover.