WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 Engine Tech

93-02 Engine Tech LT1 and LS1 motor heads unite!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '98 Firebird - Fuse for injectors & ignition?

i am going to look at a '98 Firebird for sale. i don't know much about these cars. anything in particular to look at on a used '98 FB?

v6 manual trans.

also- i would like to disconnect injectors & ignition so that i can simply put a scope on the power to the starter so that i can look at relative compression (current draw from compressing with starter) - anyone know where to pull a fuse for these?

thx.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21
Cool Stuff to consider on the '98-'02 F-Body.

The Monkey,

On a '98-'02 F-Body, one thing to check is the brakes. If there is a pulsating, the rotors may need to be replaced. Heard the aftermarket with the slotted rotors are the best choice, since these have a tendency to heat-up fast. Second, if it had a 4L60E, it would need a rebuild, since these trannys aren't up to par. Check the PCV Valve (a black plate on top of the 3800 Series II intake. Make sure it doesn't smell of gas. If it does, the fuel pressure regulator may need to be replace. Another thing to check is if it starts up fast. If there is too much of a delay, the fuel pressure regulator will need to be replaced. Also, make sure it doesn't smell too much of gas when you first start the car. Another indicator the fuel pressure regulator if it is bad. Something else to check are the dash lights. The Firebirds have an "Airbag Inop" light if something is tampered. If the "Security" light is on, something with the stereo or the VATS. Check the undercarriage for rust & that the body isn't too twisted. Driving one of the '98-'02 F-Bodies, you may find a thump from the back once in a while. It is just the spare tire and jack. The fuses for the injectors, and any major components of the computer system of the car are under the hood on the driver side. They should be labeled. If not, then write to me PM. Have owned both an '00 Camaro and an '02 Firebird (as well as test driving three other F-Bodies from '98 to '01). If the car throws too much smog, may be that the car has a bad catalytic converter (the '00 Camaro had one that went out at 56K miles). Think of it, the '00 Camaro was a GM Certified car, but ended up having so many problems. Was on the process of selling it, but before I could, the car was totaled. So I ended up with an '02 Firebird, and so far, so good. Couple of other things on the F-bodies: paint will fade (on the '02 Firebird, already have some spots with peeling paint on the front nose, and the roof with fading paint), and check to make sure the headlamp motor is in working condition. You will know if the headlamp motor is broken when the headlamps are off, but the door flaps don't go down. Something to consider. Let me know if I can help out more.

Steve

P.S. On the fuses, if that car doesn't have them labeled, I can take digital pics and show where they are.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve-

EXCELLENT info! thanks for the help. i don't think any of the check engine lights are on, but i will take a hard look for any smell of fuel, and other items you mention. i'll let you know how it goes.

is it normal for pressure regulator to go bad, and is it a tough fix? seems like a bad regulator would make AFR go whacky and would light up the check engine light. have you seen the regulator go bad without the light?

thx, Scott.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool

The Monkey,

The Fuel Pump/Pressure Regulator is located on the top next to the intake. I didn't change mine when it went out on the '00 Camaro. Wasn't cheap. But then, I took it to the dealer assuming it was on warranty, and wasn't. If there is a Pep Boys where you live, I would recommend taking it there instead of the dealer (whether Chevy or Pontiac). On it going out, I don't know. But, I think it went out on the Camaro, since it had a bad catalytic converter (pushing more on fuel pressure since the exhaust was being backed up). When the regulator went bad, the "Service Engine Soon" light didn't come on. A couple of times, the car even stalled when the fuel pressure regulator was bad (mainly on right turns).
For the Tremec T-5 transmission, I prefer it than the 4L60E. Haven't heard any bad vibe on it. Pretty soon, I am considering putting a performance clutch on it. Stock ones just don't cut it. Some replacements you may want to consider are different spark plug wires (hopefully those have been changed). Stock ones are a murder (without a spark plug wire puller, they won't come off). The hard part is also the heat shields for the spark plug wires. This is personal experience I speak of (first the '00 Camaro, and now the '02 Firebird).
Old 09-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thx Steve-

took a look at the car last night. paint was not faded at all. in fact i couldn't believe how nice the paint was for being 10 years old. no smell of gas and it fired right up.

he put in an aftermarket stereo, and the security light is on.

i've talked to him about a reduced price because it needs a new muffler and has a cracked rear bumper. if he wants to go ahead, i'll have a mechanic put it through some diagnostics.

thx for the help. how do you fix the security light thing with aftermarket stereo?

Scott.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool

TheMonkey,

The security light is connected with the stereo. There are different types. The Firebird is a "Pontiac" only. By any chance, does this car have the speakers in the rear hatch area, as well as smaller speakers on the doors and rear panels? If so, yours is a Monsoon System. If not, it is just the standard radio. Either a tape deck or a CD deck will work. '98 to '02 do look the same, but is hard to determine if they are. Heard on the '98, '99 and '00-'02 had differences. The '00 to '02 are the same. The stereo has it where you enter the code, and it clears the "Security" light. Wish I could help you more, that is all I know. Could be another way to clear it, but, it would require the Computer custom tuner to do so (the unit is about $350). May be cheaper to find either a tape deck or CD deck off a '98 Firebird/Trans Am. I can look around in the area and ask on that. Is the car a coupe or convertible? I have brochures from '99 to '02 Firebird, and can check the options for the radio's.

Steve