Old 12-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
I also noticed some posts suggesting that the Tri Power with the 3 speed is a bit unusual. Anything to that?
I bought my first (and only other) '64 GTO in 1973 from the original owner. It had the base 3 spd man trans. I soon yanked it and installed a 4 spd. Always regretted that move and the fact that I literally threw the original trans out in the garbage.

Car is long gone (another sad tale) but one of the only things I have kept from it is the original, well-worn, 3 spd shift ball. Sorry, it holds sentimental value for me, not parting with it!

As far as the 3 spd being rare with the Tripower, my experience is that the 3 spd was generally rare in the GTO. Very few '64s that I run across got the base trans.

They weren't much to brag about, non-synchro 1st. Presumably, PMD had good reason to offer the Dearborn 3 spd in '65 as a Heavy Duty option.

Not sure how easy they are to find if you wanted to go back to the original, but I know there is one in a landfill somewhere in south Jersey......

Old 12-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Annoying noise? I LIKE that noise!!
Quote:
B/T/W, I love the M-22 whine. It only does it in the first three gears.
Sorry...It reminds me of a big truck or a 4 wheeldrive transfer case...

The main reason for favoring the M20 is the first gear ratio. As Mr. Taylor discussed. I forgot to mention in my original post that the car is equipped with 3.23s, and I like the gear since running around the West means some long trips.

There is the financial aspect too. For what I can get from the M22 I can buy both a nice M20 and probably all the metal needed for the quarter repair.

Seems like a good deal - since I don't think I will be needing the additional power handling. My engine plans aren't radical...

Quote:
Car is long gone (another sad tale) but one of the only things I have kept from it is the original, well-worn, 3 spd shift ball. Sorry, it holds sentimental value for me, not parting with it!
Far be it from me to part a man from such an item. I have a nice 4 speed knob I have carted around since my teens and it isn't going anywhere.

How about a picture though? It would help to know just what to look out for...

The other thing that in re-reading my original post that I forgot to mention was the factory colors for the car...

Saddle Bronze with the Light Saddle interior.

Initially, I was disappointed - but I think it is growing on me.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smart move selling the M22 and running an M20 with your 3.23 gearset. I've run an M20 with a 3.23 in a '65, and it's the perfect all-around gearing for a street driven car that also sees long road trips. Good power, good MPG, win-win all around. That said, the HD Dearborn 3 speed is a stronger gearbox. Me, I'd go M-20 if I had your car. As you said, with the left over M22 coin, you can get further along with your project. Keep us posted!

Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_192759-1_resized.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	415276   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_192857-1_resized.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	415277  

Old 12-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks John V. - Looks pretty recognizable with the rounded "3", long numbers and no insert.

I am seeing a lot of swap meets and salvage yards in my immediate future...

Quote:
I've run an M20 with a 3.23 in a '65, and it's the perfect all-around gearing for a street driven car that also sees long road trips.
I thought that is should be a good gear and was happy that it was in the car. Funny, because a couple of my friends said "too bad it isn't a 3.90 car" and I thought the opposite.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've driven 3.90 cars. They are great if you like buzzing along at 55mph, sucking gas and running hot. At 70 you are up about 3800-4000 rpm.....so 50-55 is much better to cruise at. Takes all day to get somewhere, and many tanks of fuel. 3.23 gears allow for effortless 70mph cruising, right on the cusp of the car's powerband, not in the middle of it. Real fun can be had with even taller rear gears, but you need an auto or a 5 speed for them..... nothing like running neck and neck at 100MPH against a 3.90 car with a 2.56 car, and having the 2.56 car upshift into third gear and leap forward, pulling a 20-30mph lead on the 3.90 car with ease, while he's sitting there at about 107mph, floating his valves. I recently bought an old Chevy that was supposed to have a 3.70 out back, but someone had slipped in a set of 3.36 gears. I was delighted!!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My Jeep has 4.17s in it, which are effectively 3.90s due to the 30" rubber. It sure buzzes, even with the Warn Overdrive unit.

I course, I don't think anyone wants to go faster than about 75 in a '61 Willys...

Old 01-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome, Wild Cat!

Check out Desert Valley Auto Parts (http://www.dvap.com) for a good used complete quarter panel. I know they had one a few years ago when my son's 64 Lemans got hit, but we were able to save the original by some expert work by a body man who was really good at re-shaping the metal.

Looks like you've got a good start on a nice project.
Bill

Old 01-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Hey, cuz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
My Jeep has 4.17s in it, which are effectively 3.90s due to the 30" rubber. It sure buzzes, even with the Warn Overdrive unit.

I course, I don't think anyone wants to go faster than about 75 in a '61 Willys...
Seems we have similar tastes. I also have a "day two" Tri-Power 4-speed '64 ...only a coupe. My son has two hardtops. My vote would be for the M-20...which would make the 3.23s seem like 3.55s in the first three gears...relative to the M-22. I have a cam comparable to the Pontiac 744...Pontiac engineers were impressed with this cam and rightly so. Plenty of attitude with good bottom end .I went with Doug's coated headers and have not touched them in years. I have the aftermarket guages under the dash and only recently removed my Sun tach from the steering column so "wifey" could see the turn signal indicators. Also swapped the 3.55 posi for a 3.08 so I could drive it to the last two GTOAA National events. I run the splitters on a custom exhaust with dumps that can be uncorked in a matter of minutes but you can't see them without literally getting down to look up underneath the car. Presently REMOVING options....back-up lights now gone, push button tadio now manual and Day-Night mirror is next on the list....but I digress. Just another vote for "day two' cars...and I ALSO have a lifted Jeep...'01 TJ Sahara w/20k original. There's everything you need to know at your fingertips on this board. Welcome...and don't be shy!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ron, any pics of your '64?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Welcome, Wild Cat!

Check out Desert Valley Auto Parts (http://www.dvap.com) for a good used complete quarter panel. I know they had one a few years ago
Thank you Bill...I will check them out. I still haven't made it to check out the couple of local leads I have. Between the Holidays and the cold weather just haven't got to it.

Quote:
Seems we have similar tastes. I also have a "day two" Tri-Power 4-speed '64 ...only a coupe.
Ron...Sounds like an awesome car. I am going to post up a 'follow-my-progress' thread pretty soon - and show what I am getting up to.

I like the Day Two vibe - and I am considering deleting an option myself. I think the car would make a good radio delete. I would run music through a hidden MP3 player system.

I will probably be adding seat belts though...I think it is funny somebody deleted them for an $11 credit - but a car today really should have a set.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Yep...

added a set of '65 Deluxe belts to mine because I love the aesthetics of the '65 units. Would have gone radio delete except for the hole in my fender. I use my I-phone and a portable speaker...sounds great! Anyway...enjoy!!!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a complete 65 GTO 3 speed setup, if you decide to go that route.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I have a complete 65 GTO 3 speed setup, if you decide to go that route.
Thanks. If I decide to go that way and have trouble finding the pieces locally, I will let you know.

Quote:
Would have gone radio delete except for the hole in my fender.
Yeah - that is one of the considerations holding me back a little. I'm not sure I want to fill/patch that hole.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After months of searching for a good one...And giving up - having decided to wait for AMD to drop their new complete quarter panels...I brought a nice salvage quarter panel home with me from Hot August Nights.

Pretty nice piece. No real rust, a few dings and some thin bone (a weakish magnet still sticks) but the best I had seen. Now I just got to get it all over to my body guy to have it put on.

YEAH.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice find!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks. It took a long time to track one down for sure. But one thing I learned doing my other cars - Getting the tasks on a project in the right order saves time, money and frustration.

Once this is hung and the trunk floors are in it is down to business...

Old 08-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks in pretty good shape for a project. Do the qtr yourself, they're not that hard especially when you have an original replacement-should fit very well.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah - but after 10 months to find a good one (and what it cost) - I think I would rather have a pro do it. I know the guy pretty well - so it shouldn't be that bad (price anyway).

Old 08-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Sometimes it really pays to just have the PRO do the body work for you and pay the cash.

At the end of the day you will be happier and the car will be a level higher on the body finish scale.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.