Old 01-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Senior Chief

Default 3" Pypes Street Pro exhaust for my 66 GTO

Hi,

what do you think of the 3" Pypes Street Pro exhaust?
Does it fit well and will it have a lot of drone?

At the moment I have a 2.5" exhaust with Pypes Violator mufflers, but I want to make it a little less noisy but still have a good flowing system.
Engine is a 462cui with around 500 flywheel hp.
I think the Race Pros are a quieter but I hope the Street Pros have more of a "old school" sound and they should be quieter than the Violators anyway.

Is 3" too much for my car? I'm not sure if I should just keep the 2.5" exhaust and get better flowing mufflers like Dynomax Ultra Flo or similar.
I've done a lot of welding in the last 10 years and I think the X-pipe from the Pypes System would also be an advantage over my old exhaust (also just aluminized instead of the stainless Pypes system). Probably it's time for a new exhaust system.

Thanks!
Chris

Old 01-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Choosing exhaust is kind of like choosing your favorite color. What one person thinks is too loud , another thinks is just right!

I was running a similar motor in my 66, and really liked the 2.5" system with X and Dynomax super turbos. Was mello, no drone, but still sounded like a muscle car when getting on it.

From what I have read, I doubt a 3" system would provide you with noticable additional power- marginal at best. In addition, I would expect 3" to be louder.

My current build uses 3" with 14" Ultraflows. A little loud, but not obnoxious. Keep in mind that a longer muffler case will tone the noise down if you have room for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 01-07-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
Choosing exhaust is kind of like choosing your favorite color. What one person thinks is too loud , another thinks is just right!

I was running a similar motor in my 66, and really liked the 2.5" system with X and Dynomax super turbos. Was mello, no drone, but still sounded like a muscle car when getting on it.

From what I have read, I doubt a 3" system would provide you with noticable additional power- marginal at best. In addition, I would expect 3" to be louder.

My current build uses 3" with 14" Ultraflows. A little loud, but not obnoxious. Keep in mind that a longer muffler case will tone the noise down if you have room for it.

x2

I have a 2/5" Pypes system on my 462ci '67...was told that 3" wouldn't be worth the trouble. It came with Race Pros, which I used for 7 years, but I switched them out for 20" super turbos to get rid of the drone. Race Pros definitely sound more aggressive, but STs make the car more pleasant to drive, especially if I'm in it for more than 30 min. Street Pros are louder than race pros, so I assume they would drone louder too...that would have drove me crazy.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

3" Pypes w/Race Pro's under a '67 Firebird with 1/4 exit wasn't too bad at cruise, but you definitely had to speak up to talk to the passenger. When I hit the gas, it got LOUD!

I swapped out the race pro's & put in Dynomax super turbos and that toned it down to a more comfortable level. It still sounds aggressive, just not as loud.
BTW, my engine is similar to yours so the sound should be close.

Stick with the 2.5" exhaust. I doubt 3" would do much for you. Definitely not enough to justify the cost.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 01-08-2020, 03:18 AM
Senior Chief

If 3" won't do much, will it at least not make me lose some power down in the rpm range? The Pypes set is about $ 630,00 and I want at least change the mufflers and the hangers. Also the X-Pipe would be nice I guess, so there isn't that much of an advantage if I just replace everything and keep the 2.5" tubes. Also I want to make the mufflers removeable (if I decide to change them) but at the moment it's welded together. To make it removable again I'd have to spend about $ 200 at the shop since there isn't a straight pipe in front and ahead the muffleres at the moment.

So if the Race Pros are that loud, the Street Pros should be even louder? I'm not sure if I want that. Will the drone be much more with 3" than with 2.5"?
I changed from Super 44 to FlowFx muffleres on my Challenger and they are so much better to drive on a daily basis (much less drone and still a nice deep sound). I don't want too much drone, but the GTO is more of a weekend car and some drone is acceptable. With the violators at the moment I have very less drone but it's really loud. I want it to be a little quieter but want back the old school sound it had before with the Flowmaster 40. (just with less drone).

Eventually the AeroChambers would be nice too.. can you compare them to the Street Pros?

Old 01-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Based on what I am interpreting from your posts, I would throw a set of Dynomax super turbos on your current exhaust and see how you like it. Get the longer 20" case if they will fit. Cost will be minimal compared to an entirely new system.

IF you decided a 3" system was needed down the road, you could just install a 3" mid pipe and X feeding into 2.5" mufflers and tail pipes. Exhaust gas has cooled enough by the time it reaches the mufflers you can use smaller pipes without a negative effect.

On that note, I installed 2.25" chrome exit pipes on my 3" system in order to clear leaf springs and qtr panel where it exits. My qtr mile ET was identical in back to back testing with and without the smaller tail tips.

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 01-08-2020, 10:06 AM
Senior Chief

Thats a good point but seems complicated as well. I'd like to remove the 11 year old aluminzed pipes if the 3" system will at least not cost me power. I want to replace the hangers and h-pipe at least (+mufflers of course).
I could get the Pypes System without mufflers as well and buy some 3" Super Turbos instead. That way I also don't need the shop to weld in some pipes for me to be able to make the mufflers removable, since I'm pretty sure I can install the system by myself without welding.

parts for my 2.5" system:
1. x-pipe (with cutout) from pypes 3" header to muffler: $ 300
2. welding job to make it easy to replace mufflers: $ 100
3. hangers: $ 27 + $ 40 = $ 67
4. mufflers: 2.5": $ 56 x 2= $ 102

everything new
1. Pypes 3" system without mufflers: $ 560
2. same muffleres 3": $ 49 x 2 = $ 98

So a combination of old and new will be about $ 569 and everything new and 3" stainless is $ 658. I think it might be wiser the buy the set

Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, since you want to replace the old pipes, i would buy the 3" mid pipe and X from Pypes, then a pair of 14 or 20" super turbos. They sell them with a 3" inlet to help with the transition.

Personally, I would spend the few dollars to have an exhaust shop install it. You will likely end up with a cleaner fit and fewer headaches. Just sooo much easier doing it up on a lift, and with someone handy with welder doing exhaust work all day.

On my f body, I had purchased the flow master kit and ultraflows, and brought in to a 1 man muffler/repair shop. I helped with the install and cost me about $250 cash. Having the lift, pipe cutter, etc saved me several hours of jacking around!

Old 01-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use these stepped clamps on my exhaust from front to back. They make swapping mufflers a breeze and they don't leak.

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 01-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Senior Chief

@Speargun
Thats a good idea. I want do to it that way since you never know, if you get tired of the mufflers and want something new

I read that the 3" Super Turbos only have 2.5" inside. Is that true? Is there another turbo style muffler that will reduce the drone but with 3" inside as well?
Since I want to exhaust to be quieter than my 2.5" Violators now I guess I should not use 3" Ultra Flows or the Pypes Race Pro? (or even Street Pro).
Cheapest way would be to get the System with the Race mufflers included. Are they much louder and have more drone than turbo style mufflers?

Old 01-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Austria View Post
@Speargun

Thats a good idea. I want do to it that way since you never know, if you get tired of the mufflers and want something new

I read that the 3" Super Turbos only have 2.5" inside. Is that true? Is there another turbo style muffler that will reduce the drone but with 3" inside as well?

Since I want to exhaust to be quieter than my 2.5" Violators now I guess I should not use 3" Ultra Flows or the Pypes Race Pro? (or even Street Pro).

Cheapest way would be to get the System with the Race mufflers included. Are they much louder and have more drone than turbo style mufflers?
The small case 4.75" x 9.5" turbo will neck down to 2.5" internally. The larger 5.5" x 11" case maintain 3" inside

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Old 01-08-2020, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Austria View Post
@Speargun

I got the 16" case & they are 3" all the way through. Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers 17792

The Race Pro's didn't really "drone." They are just a louder at cruise speeds and got everyone's attention when you hammer it.
The turbo's have a good sound, without being too loud, but still turns heads when people hear the rumble.

Get the system with the race pro's and see how you like them. You can always come back and add turbo's later. I've been thinking about putting the race pro's back on my car for change. When I get tired of the noise, it only takes about 10 minutes to swap out for the turbos.

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 AM

Pypes 3" X pipe with race pros all the way out the back on mine.. love em

9" done. EZ EFI 2.0 with FAST dual sync distributor and separate nitrous system done. Track is at 4300 ft elevation. so far a best of 11.95@116. Suspension now getting dialed in...tubular front a arms with dual adjustable coil overs HR Parts n stuff rear bar and whole car lowered 3 inches..
Old 03-04-2020, 03:49 PM
Senior Chief

To save money I just installed some 2.5" Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers. I guess they sound similar to the Pypes Race Pro.

What do you think?
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1iAc0Ul8ss&t=1s

If I would get the same exhaust with 3" diameter instead fo 2.5", what would change? Drone? Louder? Deeper?

At the moment there is just a very small amount of drone which isn't disturbing. Its a lot less noisy as it was with the Pypes Violator. At the first moment it seemed to be too quiet, but after some driving I really like it.
It's not silent, but also not what I would call loud. Somewhere in the middle. Full throttle is loud, but normal driving is a 5-6 out of 10. With the Violators I would have rated it 8-9. (10 is no mufflers)