Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dash speakers

Curious what you all use for '66/'67 dash speakers? I presently have one of the "Kenwood" dual speakers in the dash that is pushing against my clock. I found this out when I installed my new dash bezel assembly. I would like something with a little more room behind it. Not interested in the kick panel units. This is in a '66 Tempest Custom wagon. I am curious how the dual coil style speakers fit and sound. I have two speakers in the rear of the car as well.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried two different "upgrade" 4x10 dash speakers in my '67 with factory AM/FM. Neither fit quite right (had to fab my own brakes) or lasted very long. I ended up getting an OEM style replacement from S&M Electro-tech (turn switch.com). To me the marginal improvement in sound quality from the other speakers is not worth the hassle.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I tried two different "upgrade" 4x10 dash speakers in my '67 with factory AM/FM. Neither fit quite right (had to fab my own brakes) or lasted very long. I ended up getting an OEM style replacement from S&M Electro-tech (turn switch.com). To me the marginal improvement in sound quality from the other speakers is not worth the hassle.
Thanks for the input. I just checked out their website. Greatly appreciated. Looks like I can use the dual speakers they have at the bottom, made to fit in the stock location. The magnets are a lot smaller, so they should have a lot more clearance.

Last edited by goatwgn; 05-23-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:42 PM

Default Dash Speaker

I installed the dual coil speaker that uses the stock mounts. It works well with my stereo radio. I loosened the heater control panel to give more access; not certain if this is necessary but it made the speaker install easier. My car does not have a clock, but I believe there should be sufficient room. I think the speaker came from Ames.