Old 05-31-2020, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GTO vs Lemans

When I removed the old dried out wood grain from the face of my 66 GTO a/c control panel I found a flat piece of brushed metal underneath. This same panel on a Lemans appears to have a pebble grain texture made into the die cast face. It seems odd that Pontiac would make two different faces for this control unit that is apparently the same for the GTO and the Lemans. Does the flat brushed plate on my GTO unit come off and reveal the Lemans pebble grain surface underneath? Is this flat brushed plate a backing plate for the GTO wood grain?

Old 05-31-2020, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking the flat piece of metal was the backing for the wood grain. It should be glued on to the pebble grained face. At least that is the way it was in 65.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-31-2020, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, real wood veneer needed a metal backer. That pebble grain was simply buried under the woodgrain (even when it was fake wood in 67)

Old 05-31-2020, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GTO vs Lemans

Okay, I’m gonna see if I can very carefully pry it off without mangling it. Assume I will need it when applying the new veneer. I see there is a new veneer available with the backing already attached, but guessing this original piece will fit better than the reproduction piece as is frequently the case.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GTO vs Lemans

Lifted one corner with a pick tool and sprayed brake cleaner underneath. This made the glue release enough that I could use a thin plastic tool to pry off this backing plate, revealing the pebble grain surface just as you guys described.