Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-10-2024, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question 200-4R questions

Hey all. First off let’s not turn this into a 5 page debate. Lol

Leaning to a 200 swap in my 69 GTO. My question is more on the converter and lock out meaning and how it works and such. Does it automatically go into OD or a manual shift. And if a manual shift I don’t have that location on shifter. Really have no knowledge on converters and stall to be honest.

Dominick

Last edited by nh68gto; 03-10-2024 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not? Lol!
Many folks are really good at beating a dead Horse.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-10-2024, 02:03 PM

Thinking of doing the same. I gave my mechanic a deposit to order an art carr 750 hp capable 200-4r. Not sure if i made the right decision, going from a 5 speed. I think ill miss rowing gears. From my understanding, there are ways to lockout certain torque converters manually, with a switch. Most builders just use an auto locking TC. Many builders recommend non-locking TC's. A shifter to manually shift, has nothing to do with locking out the TC. most do it by themselves. TC lockout helps it run cooler and runs more efficiently. Saves gas, less loss of HP, reduces the need for an oil cooler. A lot of high HP racing guys use non-lockout converters because they're more reliable and can handle more power. Manually shifting the gears requires a manual valve body. I can be wrong on some of these statements, as i am a manual guy most my life.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC you can wire the TC to lock up in 3rd/OD or just OD. No need for a fancy setup, a simple dual circuit brake switch will do the job nicely.

I had a 462/200-4R/3.55 combo in my 71. I did the OD only lockup, worked very well.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used a GM vacuum lock up switch off an early th700 equipped Silverado on my TH200r4 conversion for my GP. It was how GM initiated lockup when those trucks still had carbs. I think it was off an 87 an was really simple to wire up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Twister For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:50 PM

I have a non-lockup tc in mine. It's a Stage II built by Extreme Automatics. Currently running 3.36 gears and getting ready to go to 3.91. It's a street car that I do take to the track. With the trans cooler I find the trans temp is usually about 10 degrees less than engine temp. No problems with it so far.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be ten times more likely to cram-in a 4L80E or similar (4L85E) than to buy and build-up a 200-4R.

The '80E is inherently much stronger than the 200, but would need an electronic controller, and an adapter plate to mate with a BOP-C engine. OTOH, it needs approximately nothing beyond a "shift kit" for internal modifications to handle typical stock/mild/moderate 455 power.

The shifter issue is fixed with a piece of specially-cut steel, and a new "lens" with OD, D, 2, 1 markings. Both available commercially-made in the aftermarket.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You will need the shifter or a shifter that will pick up all the detents.

If you decide to go with a lock-up converter the easiest way to have it apply is using a vacuum switch and a normally "open" 4th gear pressure switch. Route the voltage thru the vacuum switch (hooked to ported vacuum), to the TCC lock-up solenoid, then to the 4th gear pressure switch.

This will ONLY allow LU once the transmission reaches 4th gear (overdrive) and it will only lock-up at light engine load. Anytime you coast or go to heavy throttle when in 4th gear the TCC will unlock just like it does in a factory set-up......

Using a vacuum switch also has it unlocking when you go to heavy/full throttle as vacuum falls off well below the set-point of the switch.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 03-11-2024, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at shift works for overdrive shifter conversions.

That's who I use for auto overdrive conversions. He makes all the necessary pieces to convert all kinds of factory shifters to work with overdrive, including the Pontiac GTO typical rally shifter and the his/hers.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://spprecision.com/products/4l8...BoCO4AQAvD_BwE

Fair price for what it is. This is no race car. Will never see the strip. I know HP isn’t the killer it’s the torque.
That being said. I just want as least modifications as possible and added cost after the trans cost. Does it need tunnel work to fit. Done reading but mainly on the 200.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like a lot of transmission for a car.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

4l80E's are what I typically use. Tons of benefits, especially for a rowdy engine when it comes to lockup as it's electronically controlled to a point you can virtually tune it any way you need. That's just one of many advantages.

Yes they fit in A body tunnels just fine.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok good to know.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a call for a 4l60e.

Is that worthy ? Lots of extras to make it work ?

Old 03-11-2024, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4L60E? Worst option IMO; the 200-4R is a bolt in, just as strong, no electronics needed.

The 4L60E (read: TH700) requires all the work a 4L80E does, stupid low 1st, and is much weaker; only advantage is 700 is lighter.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put one in my 72 lemans last year. No tunnel work fit right in, in place of the th400. You will need a th350 yoke. Mine only locks up in 4th. Has a pressure switch internal from the factory, that applies the lock up in 4th I also added a vacuum switch, a brake switch (to disengage luck up on braking) and a limit switch on the carb ( disengages lock up at no throttle). You will need a tv cable and a bracket. I had to buy a special adaptor for the holley carb for the tv cable. The tv cable is important on the 2004r, you need the right amount of throw.

I am very happy with it behind my mild 400. Works great with my 3.73 gear.

Old 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

750HP @ 5500 RPM is different from 750HP @ 7000 RPM
Drivelines S/B rated in torque

Like connecting rods that are rated for HP should be rated for RPMs with a given weight on the end

Old 03-11-2024, 03:13 PM
Senior Chief

Very happy with the 4L80E in mine. Program it where it works best for my car for the street and track. Good gas mileage on the highway.

The Following User Says Thank You to GTO JONES For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can find copies of High Performance Pontiac Magazine they did a step by step series of articles on installing a 200 4R. I followed their steps and removed the trans from my son's Turbo Regal and installed it in my 1967 GTO in a weekend. I got all parts before hand that I was going to need. By Sunday night both cars were on the road again. The shifter parts came from Shift Works to convert my Dual Gate shifter. The one surprise I had was the converter bolts wouldn't fit the flex plate. They are metric and I had to pull the trans back to drill out the holes. The transmission was built by Bow Tie Overdrives and I used a Precision 5 disc lock up converter . My son's car made almost 450 HP and the trans was in his car for over a year before we swapped. My car makes about 600 HP and the trans has been in it for over 20 years now. YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU ADJUST THE CABLE CORRECTLY. Use a pressure gauge to make the adjustments. Your trans builder will probably talk you through it on the phone. Bow Tie Overdrives required it. I lock up my convert with a simple switch in any gear that I want. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d like to find that write up.