THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a full felony style stop a few years back here in small town Montana. Cop car sideways to my door, blinding me with lights (pulled in parking lot, as you), second officer looking all in vehicle with flashlight, while first interrogated me. Headlight out. Had new replacement on seat next to me, that I was going home to install. That didn't diffuse, just got worse. I have been around on the streets enough in my youth to know and feel that I could not make one wrong move. They were hoping I would. It was beyond tense. After much nastiness, they let me go with a threat that if they saw me again, they would do it all over. No traffic infraction or ticket, no warning, invisible on any records. Why did it happen? (in that manner) My only deduction is they really had an attitude against ponytails. Brought back memories from 1970. They had no clue I was an established local engineer at that time.

It was a roust, as was yours. They were hoping it would lead to bigger sheet than a pink thing. You disappointed them. Tax dollars hard at work, while the meth heads run rampant.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back when we were living in Arizona, I had a friend from Michigan visit for a few days. We decided while he was there it would be fun to take the Chevelle out to Firebird Raceway and make a few test passes.

I was company vehicle driver at the time and had a real nice red crew cab dually (big block powered) with Alcoa aluminum wheels, as my driver. I hitched up the open trailer, loaded up the car, and off we went.

Unfortunately, the afternoon and evening went downhill from there. During the course of the night the bearing in the alternator froze, pitching the fan belt. No big deal, in the grand scheme of things, but we were done for the day. After hanging out a bit we loaded up and headed for home.

It wasn't a very long trip but I noticed right after we got on the freeway that there was a local police car following me. I started checking my gages, making sure I wasn't speeding (or driving with my turn signal on) and everything seemed to be in order. We had already decided to stop for a snack so I exited the freeway and prepared for a right turn and, sure enough, that's when the pretty lights came on.

I pulled around into the restaurant parking lot and gathered my paperwork. The officer approached and, in a very nice way, let me know that it was not a traffic infraction that was causing a problem but that he was confused by all the various license plates shown on the represented vehicles: an Arizona "Manufacturer's Plate" on the truck, an active Michigan plate on the trailer and an expired Michigan plate on the car. I explained, slowly (and clearly, or so I thought) that the truck was owned by GM and that they were responsible for the registration and insurance; that the trailer was owned by my dad, sitting in the truck (..."hi dad"...) and that it was also up to snuff; and that I owned the car which I had not registered since moving to Arizona but which was ok since it was not street driven.

As I alluded, I thought I had laid this all out very clearly but, to my dismay, we had to go through this little dance two or three more times before the officer was finally satisfied. After a long delay back at his cruiser he suggested I have a nice day, that I drive safely, and with that he went on his way. I had already dismissed Dad, James and my guest to run into the restaurant and get a seat so, after the officer left, I locked everything up and headed inside.

About midway through our snack it occurred to me I didn't know where the truck keys were. I dug around in my pockets a bit and, not coming up with them, had that nagging sensation that I had locked the keys in the truck. I excused myself and headed back out to the truck to check.

Sure enough, there were the keys hanging in the ignition. (dohh!) All four doors were locked, windows up, and the truck was snugged up tighter than a drum. Fortunately, this was also not a big deal, on account of two things:

a) Those sliding rear windows, which don't look very secure......aren't.

b) As is my custom, I had brought with me every tool that I owned, sitting in the pickup box of the truck.

Within a few short minutes I had popped the latch, slid the slider opened, jumped through the window and, keys in hand, went back inside to finish my snack.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-26-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

you should keep some MaryKay samples in the car

Old 01-25-2021, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposter View Post
you should keep some MaryKay samples in the car
...and a pink scarf nearby to tie around your neck.
then speak with a "funny" accent

It won't take long at all to get moving again.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
If the wife WAS in the car while you were picking up girls then she's a keeper
Oh, I have some stories about wife #1 that I can’t repeat here. She was very open minded.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
That is the most bizarre traffic stop I have ever heard of. Even in Ohio, I don't think it's illegal to paint your car another color? Not that yours was ever repainted. When you register your car however, they do ask for a color. I never knew why, exactly. Very strange. They were fishing for something else.
I love that color question. Most everything I have isn't the color its supposed to be. Add to it that I am somewhat colorbliind.... makes the DMV questions fun.

On the transfer and registration of my sons kinda champagne colored civic at the BMV office:

Lady: "ok, what color is it?"
Me: "Halfway between manila folder and vomit"
Lady: "What??"
Me: "look out in the parking lot for the biggest pile of s**t here, thats the car. You tell me what color it is."

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
MA, having formerly been a state inspection mechanic in PA, the cop is wrong. Only a state inspection mechanic, or a peace officer can remove an inspection sticker legally from a windshield in a registered car. A wrecking yard can remove one from a used windshield also before they sell it to an end user. Installing a used windshield in a car with a current inspection sticker is considered counterfeiting, and if the VIN written on the back of the sticker doesn't match the VIN on the car, you're in for a heap of fines.

The correct thing to do if you have a current sticker and have to replace the windshield is cut the corner out of the windshield with the current sticker, and you can display it for 10 days from the date you had the glass replaced. You better have all your paperwork and receipts with you too.

You have 2 options, get the car inspected again to get the most current sticker (if you're within 90 days of the expiration) or for $2 you can get a new sticker that is solely for windshield replacement purposes, that doesn't constitute a new inspection, it just gets you to the same place as the original sticker would have. The station the issues the replacement sticker has to hang onto the original sticker, and the corner of glass it's attached to until the state police do their annual audit of the garage records.

I don't miss all the rules and regulations attached to the PA inspection garages, and mechanics at all. And as with every rule or regulation, it's up for interpretation by the state cop who presides over the inspections in their area. Too political for me.

My 05 GTO is Yellow Jacket, and especially when the car was brand new I got pulled over for nothing, just so the cop could look at the new car. One cop finally admitted he wanted to see one close up, and being bright yellow, he didn't pass it by without stopping me to look at it. When all was said and done he told me, "nice car", and let me go on my way.

Pictures of 05 GTO when it was less than a year old, it's tough to miss with that color:

I have Antique registration plates on my cars which automatically voids the inspection rules in this state.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-25-2021, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is my personal all time favorite. On the way to national GTOAA meet in the mid to late 90's, on a Sunday morning, by myself pulling a small trailer. got pulled over in the metropolis of Cokeville Wyoming, doing 47 in a 40 on the eastern outskirts of the town, all 55" long of it. Paid the fine later but was, and still am, amused at the location written on the ticket.

US30 @hideout..........................gotta love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	559465   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	559466  

Old 01-26-2021, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
US30 @hideout..........................gotta love it.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Practicing social distancing for 65+ years
LOL!!

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohunter View Post
Travelling from SC to Pa back in the mid 80's and was travelling north on rt19 in WV. Coming down this grade, I'm doing exactly 55 (posted speed limit) and this state cop was coming down the other side of the grade. I hit the bottom and started up the other side, and he spun around and pulled me over, and commenced to tell me he shot me at 69 in a 55, which was BS as my wife and daughter both happened to be looking at the speedo. He stuck me in his car, and I asked him to show me some proof of what he's charging me for, and he shows me this hieroglyphic crap on his radar unit which told me nothing. He said I was welcome to come to court to fight the ticket, or send in $85 for the fine! My guess is they were simply glancing at out of state plates and making up charges knowing most wouldn't come back to fight an $85 ticket!
I had a friend that was driving a GM engineering vehicle and got pulled over.

He told the cop "...see that speedometer? It was just calibrated with a fifth wheel!"

The officer replied "...see that radar gun? It was just calibrated with a turning fork!!"

K

Old 01-26-2021, 09:32 AM

We were coming home from the POCI convention in Springfield IL many years ago on the interstate. A convoy of 5 Pontiacs from PA just keeping up with traffic speed and got pulled over by a local cop. All 5 cars got speeding tickets at the local police station, a great money maker for the town the interstate went thru. The tickets were just enough that they could be paid with cash, no credit cards accepted, and we were sent on our way. No points on our license, just cash out of our pockets. It looked like we were having a mini car show at the police station.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta love fines. The ultimate cash grab.

Here in MA we're supposed to run front plates, but they're ugly as hell. I've discovered that it's a $40 fine for not running one. I chalk it up as the "looking good tax".

They dont bother old cars, but the newer ones get screwed.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-26-2021, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

I was driving a Ford Falcon when I was 17. I pulled out on to the street which had a 35 mph. Got lit up by a Chicago cop. He said I was going 55mph. I said that this thing could not do 55 as I had just pulled out on to the street. He said if you keep talking wise ass I will write you 2 tickets, one for speeding and the other for being a wise ass.. just got a speeding ticket.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:56 PM

I have a number of friends who are cops. Nobody breaks more traffic laws than an off duty cop! They don't get tickets!! LOL

Old 01-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Two years ago, driving my Tundra to work. I did two things: adjusted the radio and changed the temperature. Next thing I know, I'm getting pulled over by a cop who seemed to come out of nowhere.
"You were on your handheld phone", he said. "It's pretty obvious, the way you were bouncing around inside your truck". I told him that the phone is connected to the truck. I don't need to pick up the phone to make a call, answer a call, check text messages, etc. It all comes through electronically. "No way", he says. "I need your drivers license, insurance, registration". It's a 1000.00 fine here, never mind the insurance implications. I was ticked. I told him that I was going to make him look like a fool in court, and I did. He was so flustered that by the time I was finished with him on the stand he was beet red. I asked him about ten questions, the final being "how were you able to see what I was doing, since the only thing that you could see from your car looking up to my pickup was the headliner". Even the Judge chuckled at that one. He left the stand and walked right out. Charge dismissed.

The Following User Says Thank You to 66sprint6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 03:19 PM

Recently the phone rings at midnite...it's a customer needing something so I told him to meet me at the shop in a few minutes. As I walked past the GTO I decided to drive it to town.
After helping the customer I drove up the back steets to the highway and decided to open her up a bit...wide open for most of 2 blocks and then bent it around a big broad corner at about 90 only to blast right by a city cop sitting in the dark...opps.
The young cop said damn man I had no idea that thing would run like that!
Then he said please don't do that in the city...even in the middle of the nite.
He never even asked for my license.
Ha...gotta love small towns

Old 01-26-2021, 05:27 PM

Default yellow 32 highboy.

I was driving my highboy to see a friend. A young county officer pulled my over and said that a car fitting my car just pulled out of a gas station and left without paying for the gas. I didn't even come from that direction. I think he just wanted to look at it. No tickets or arrest.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiv View Post
I have a number of friends who are cops. Nobody breaks more traffic laws than an off duty cop! They don't get tickets!! LOL
My Uncle was a small town cop and was guilty of speeding a lot. One day he was speeding down the interstate and got pulled over by a State Trooper. My Uncle flashed his badge to the State Trooper and got the reply " Well you should know better than to speed shouldn't you" and wrote my Uncle a ticket. My Uncle told the Trooper that he should never speed in his small town or he would return the favor. So sometimes off duty cops do get tickets.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Back in the mid 70's there was a cop in Junior, about 3 miles down the road from where I lived in Belington. He would ticket Anyone for Anything over 40 mph. He was known as Kojak for obvious reasons if you'ed ever seen him and was notorious for this and very well known. When I got out of the service in 81 and moved back home of course I had to get a WV drivers license and insurance. While setting in the insurance office thumbing through some of the small pamphlets I noticed one that said High Risk. When I opened it there was a list in big bold letters, Drinking And Driving, High Performance Automobiles, Convertibles, etc, and about 2/3 the way down was the town of Juniour WV. I had forgotten all about him, I thought wow, he's still there, it's great to be home.

Things were a bit different in Belington and not so stealthy. My brother and I were tooling around one evening, his future wife was riding shotgun, he was driving my car and I was stretched across the back seat enjoying a bee, er um I mean beverage. We were crossing the parking lots behind the buildings of main street and just as we were getting ready to pop out on the street all of a sudden it looked like Christmas, my immediate thought was, " Oh boy! I can't wait to see what I get!"

My brother quite surprised, immediately stops the car and is confident as far as he's concerned, has done nothing wrong. Next thing I know there is a voice asking him to get out, so he does, then shortly afterward followed by another voice inviting me out as well. So I crawl out the drivers door and who new... there are two officers here. I didn't know Belington had two officers, how times change. Interestingly enough the first officer escorts my brother to the back of the car so me and the second officer can converse.

First thing I know, he's obviously trying to button the top of my shirt while buffing the drivers fender, entire hood and top of the passenger fender, using me, all the while expressing his displeasure with me over something er other, I really wasn't paying too much attention since I'd noticed a small group of people on the corner at the red light, "only red light in town", and inquired if they were enjoying the conversation. I heard a few snickers and gestures of amusement, "it's usually pretty dull in Belington".

Anyway, he thoughtfully kept hold of me as I slid off the fender so as to see I wouldn't be injured upon impacting the pavement. He then abruptly helped me up with a quick tug but still hadn't quite got my shirt buttoned at the top, although to his credit I could tell he was giving it his best, all the while, still expressing his displeasure over a prior event or something like that, again I wasn't paying much attention, my mind had wondered back to my cold bee, er uh beverage getting warm and a hankering for a smoke.

It was funny to hear my brother vigorously protesting the entire time, I was really gettin kinda tickled about that, he was normally pretty quiet and reserved. In hindsight he knew I deserved every bit of that conversation. We all laughed uncontrollably that night, as well as every time it was ever brought up. Although I didn't get a ticket, I did get the message, and I have to admit, I did have it coming. There were no hard feelings, I'd often still run back and forth to work with open headers, man, those were the days.

Frank

Old 01-27-2021, 01:55 PM

Default Silly stuff, huh.... Having lived most of my life in Ohio, I understand.

There is a YouTube Channel which may help you appreciate how to approach traffic stops, and some perspective of your rights and responsibilities during the stop. The channel is called Audit the Audit: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-...gA5lPTpSQ5uo-Q

Having friends and family members who are law enforcement officers, they often feel that such stops and behaviors negatively impact the positive relationship they have with the law abiding citizens in their area, and on the roads. Hope this helps some.