Old 01-20-2021, 06:19 AM

Question 1974 350 cid with HEI that won't turn over? No spark to the plugs... I'm stumped!

No spark to the plugs, car cranks but will not turn over. I pulled spark plug #1, grounded it, cranked the motor over and over. No spark observed during troubleshoot. I replaced the Ignition Module and the ACCEL Coil Cap and rotor. Still the motor will not start. I removed the Cap, The rotor is turning with crank of the motor.I took a trouble light to the power wire going to the distributor and its HOT. No power loss the the distributor.

I'd very much appreciate any pearls of wisdom.

What happened before the event...

I hadn't driven my 1963 Tempest for 2 months, when starting she cranked right over and started. 3 miles I hopped onto the freeway. I was cruising at 70 mph, I saw a group of street rods and I revved the motor to 3300 or so RPM to greet them. I continued my way for 2-3 miles. Then I felt a power loss or "hiccup." No backfire or jump noted. The car just died at 65-70 mph and she did not want to neutral clutch pop start. Total power loss. I kept cranking and cranking, she started up and I managed to make it to a gas station. She started up a few times, idled well for a minute or two. When I closed the hood, she died again, I decided to limp her home. She didn't make it 1/8 of a mile and while on the road, she died, power loss. That's when I began to troubleshoot the fuel system. Fuel is functioning well. Volts are functioning well, Battery is solid. After the car stopped rolling, I let her sit to cool, to no avail, she will not start, just crank and crank.

Motor is from a 1974 350 cid from a LeMans with ACCEL HEI ignition and T5 trans in my 1963 Tempest.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The green and white wires on the pole piece are known to break internally, if you give them a firm yank and the wire breaks, you've found your problem.

Due to the constant flexing as the plate moves with the vacuum advance, the copper core in the wire tends to deteriorate until it only has one strand making contact, and it finally breaks and the arcing finishes it off. It shows the same symptoms you've described. I would look at those wires first.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-21-2021, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If that doesn't show a problem remove the rotor and look at the plastic under the center where the contact is. Quite often the spark will burn through the plastic and go to ground on the distributor shaft .This happens quite often when the spark plug gap is too large. If this happens you will usually see a dark spot on the under side of the rotor in the very center.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The pickup coil failed on me back in the day. Sounds like you checked all the other parts of the system.

George

Old 01-23-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The green and white wires on the pole piece are known to break internally, if you give them a firm yank and the wire breaks, you've found your problem.

Due to the constant flexing as the plate moves with the vacuum advance, the copper core in the wire tends to deteriorate until it only has one strand making contact, and it finally breaks and the arcing finishes it off. It shows the same symptoms you've described. I would look at those wires first.
Thanks for your input on this. I came to the same conclusion. I ordered a whole new Pertronix HEI Distributor today.
The distributor is as old as the motor I believe. So, it's time to change it out.
Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dwella View Post
Thanks for your input on this. I came to the same conclusion. I ordered a whole new Pertronix HEI Distributor today.
The distributor is as old as the motor I believe. So, it's time to change it out.
Thanks again.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-19-2021, 02:06 AM

Lightbulb It was NOT the HEI Distributor after all....

To all those who read the original post, Here's what I found...
It seems that the Gremlin that was living in the Pontiac was GET THIS...
A Shorted out Tachometer/Wiring to the Tach!

Its about to get technical in here so buckle up...

I ordered a $289 Pertronix Flamethrower HEI Distributor, installed it and NO SPARK when turning over the motor. I then, started the process of elimination all over again.
I started with a 14 ga wire and added a spade connector on both sides. I disconnected the "Hot Wire" going to the positive or "BAT +" of the HEI coil and connected it straight to the positive side of the battery to make 100% sure there was power feeding to the HEI. Turned over the motor... NO SPARK. I checked spark plug #1 & #2 by pulling the spark plugs out and grounding them to the Stud bolts while turning over the motor & nothing... No Spark. I then proceeded to purchase 8 new NGK R5671A-8 & pull my 11mm Spark Plug wires off my other 63 LeMans that has my 467 cid Pontiac. I changed everything out and turned the motor over... and that's right... No Spark.
I was running out of options, I called the "Southern Oracle," Gary Crawford, (we built this car together.) As we were speaking on the phone with each other, I noticed that the Instrument Cluster and accessories were on. Now, boys and girls, there was no key in the ignition. The last position of the key was in fact in the "off" position. When my buddy heard this the "Eureka" moment occurred.
The Tachometer wire was/or is grounded and absorbing the charge from the battery. As soon as I disconnected the Tach side of the HEI, VROOM! SPARK FOR DAYS!
I have yet to chase the wire and actual source of the issue, I'll post what I find when its definitive. For now, my 63 Tempest LIVES! Lives for another day.

Please learn from my experience and save yourself a headache....

Thanks to you all who read this thread and offered their pearls of wisdom.

All HAIL the Mighty PONTIAC!

Old 02-19-2021, 02:38 AM

Thumbs up Vroooom!

FYI... My 63 Tempest is my daily driver.
Let the GOOD TIMES ROLL!

Old 02-19-2021, 02:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you found it but your story is a perfect example of why I like to troubleshoot first....THEN buy the parts!

Old 02-19-2021, 03:00 AM

Wink Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Glad you found it but your story is a perfect example of why I like to troubleshoot first....THEN buy the parts!
Agreed, given that the part is an original 1974 part. It (at the time) was a good decision that the relic be changed out. The advantage was that I have two Pontiacs. Not like most.
But, I get the message.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you found the problem. I had a similar issue with a rev limiter I had installed.