Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, the nature of the hobby I guess....just makes a build take tooooo long. Richie Hoffman is doing a GREAT job for me...He notices EVERY detail!...Should be done soon-ish! You are correct...you can buy Chevy and Ford stuff in the Supermarket!!!

Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC AULL View Post
Yeah, the nature of the hobby I guess....just makes a build take tooooo long. Richie Hoffman is doing a GREAT job for me...He notices EVERY detail!...Should be done soon-ish! You are correct...you can buy Chevy and Ford stuff in the Supermarket!!!
Seems that way. However, if you are buying good stuff most Pontiac parts cost about same as BBC, Mopar or BBFord. Face it sheer volume of SBC and LS stuff keeps their prices lower. I think I could have built an equal or better Pontiac as the 528 Ford I built for less in parts. (Our Pontiac vendors discount pretty good!)

Hang in there this is going to be fun.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bruce, I try to buy the best parts for the engine......it is fun...I just can't wait anymore!!!....Thanks, Eric

Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Had the pleasure of talking to Richie at Norwalk a couple of years ago.

The guy is really on his game. People will get a fine product from his shop.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Tom, He IS very knowledgable, good at his trade, and HONEST....I didn't mean anything negative about FORD or CHEVY....(would love a 2013 Mustang Shelby).... Just "crying" about parts in general not fitting...I can't wait to fire my IAII up and dyno tune it!!! ERIC

Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Richie "made" a cork gasket for the rear main cap, then we lovingly fitted, tweaked, and prepared the Canton oil pan. Richie installed the "smile" for the lower gasket timing cover/oil pan.....pan is now installed. ONWARD......we had to trim the sides of the valley pan a bit, and put a "chamfer'' on the bottom of the intake manifold so the vp wouldn't keep the manifold from seating properly...OK! pushrods and rocker arms next!.... ......then the blower and carbs.....Eric

Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Investment tip: Buy stock in "Right Stuff" !

Old 12-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rocker arms and stud girdles are on! clooooooser! Will try to post some pics on Sunday...IF the Christmas tree is up by then.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Vortech w/ geardrive

Well will be ordering my Vortech and mounting system this week. Hope to see it for X-mas. Santa being really good to me this year!!!!!!!!!! catching up to you Eric on Progress.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bryan, We're getting there...this week: how to get my headers to fit. They just barely touch the sides of the block.....I am thinking of buying another set of 3/8" inch flanges, and "double flanging"....Why should I NOT cut the header flange into seperate ones...seems like it would make fitment easy (as in cut out the metal between the exhaust ports).....gentlemen, feel free to chime in! Thanks, Eric

Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default cutting spaces

I got my headers cut. With no leaking issues. Makes them easier going in and out. my front and rear tubes are removable also. Makes it easy if needed to work on starter.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Bryan, We're getting there...this week: how to get my headers to fit. They just barely touch the sides of the block.....I am thinking of buying another set of 3/8" inch flanges, and "double flanging"....Why should I NOT cut the header flange into seperate ones...seems like it would make fitment easy (as in cut out the metal between the exhaust ports).....gentlemen, feel free to chime in! Thanks, Eric
I only saw a bit of flex to the pipes on install after cutting flanges. Seemed to tighten right up though after tightening all the bolts. 7 years now no leaks, sealer only, no gaskets.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks fellas, I 'm gonna call All Pontiac today and order a set of flanges to "pad" the headers away from the block. Eric

Old 12-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got some engine work done at Richie's today....we need to move the upper blower pulley forward a bit (.715).....here are a few pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINEBUILD 002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	267489   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINEBUILD 003.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	267490   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINEBUILD 005.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	267491  

Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got the blower installed, AND THE HEADER PROBLEM figured out!!!!! The double flange system worked like a charm!! Some pics.... These are the OBX round port headers, with an extra 3/8" flange added to pad them out and down away from the freeze plugs/block......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxxx 001.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	270043   Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxxx 003.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	270044   Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxxx 005.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	270045  

Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You are a braver man than me...that is a LOT of leverage and weight hanging off the end of that crank snout.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default looks nice

that sure is alot of belt Hope you dont get any belt slap without a tensioner on the return side.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Belts too long Eric for that center line and those pulleys. Any kind of drive on the blower at all and that universal tensioner will not hold, plus you're losing a bunch of tooth engagement on the top pulley. Really it might not hold under driven - I can't be sure, I've never had one cranked all the way up like that.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

17" center to center -crank hub to blower drive. BDS agrees on the idler angle and is sending me a 3" shorter belt. I gotta say, BDS has excellent product support...always find an answer...Craig , Norma, Herman....THANK YOU !!! Eric

Old 01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good deal