Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Starter turn when positive battery cable is hooked up

Just finished a partial engine rebuild. I tested the wiring a few weeks ago and everything worked. The only difference is that I used a jumper wire from the battery to the starter, and the alternator wasnt there. Hooked up the battery, turn the key, and the starter turned and engaged the flywheel.

Now, as soon as I touch the positive lead, the starter turn and it sparks.... The starter doesnt engage, it just turns. Seems like the electrical circuit is always on without the key in the ignition.

My first thought was that the positive battery cable at the starter touches the purple wire? It has a big lug, so maybe it touches the purple wire terminal... With the manifold in place, I couldnt see. Just trying to get some advices before taking everything apart.

I am not very good with anything electrical. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!