Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "Radial Tuned Suspension" question '73

OK, after talking to GonicGM a bit I would like some other opinions to verify a little theory we came up with.
The 73 formula woodgrain dash doesnt have a "RTS" emblem, but a T/A does.
Is this because the T/A had radials standard and the formula they were optional tire?? (Gregg had this idea and I agree it makes sense, but I am not 100% sure)
Or Is there a specific qualifier for the emblem? or was it just that if it had radials, it had the emblem, or just that its a T/A?, then theres the 73 SD formula to toss in to this.
Pics, info, ideas, theorys please, Thanks!!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The emblem wasn't used 'til '74. In '74 the emblem was used on the glove box door. Then in '75 it moved to the dash.

BTW, in '73 you could get your T/A with radials or biased ply. If you choose the radials you got whitewalls and a smaller rear sway bar. The '74s came std. with the smaller rear sway bar.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew the radials came in 73, so I figured the emblem did too. I know they were really crappy on corners back then having put some on my Nova, and went back to the old "Jetzons!!
Thanks for the info!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anytime, Bruce!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've don't think that Pontiac ever used the phrase Radial Tuned Suspension (RTS) in any of their factory literature for 1973. I believe that started with the 1974 models. The PL4 Radial White Line Tire option was offered on all '73 Firebird models in different sizes at different prices. The Y99 Formula Handling Package was offered with either F60-15 bias ply white-lettered tires or GR70-15 steel belted white-line radials at different prices also. The P85 GR70-15 White-Line Radial Tire option was offered for $70.00 on the '73 Trans Am. There was no mention of different suspenson components with this Trans Am option. Late in the model year, the raised white-lettered radial tires replaced the white-line radials used on the '73 Trans Ams and Formulas with Y99. There was a Radial Tire Handling package that contained special shocks and stabilizer bars for some of the bigger cars 1973.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So the 73 and 74 had no RTS on the bezel. Was 72 the last year for the split indicator for the lights and wiper washer? Was 73 and 74 split or combined?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gregg,

Neither '73 nor '74 Firebirds had RTS emblems on their dash bezels. As SD73 posted earlier, the '74 RTS emblems were on the glove box doors only. Both the '73 and '74 Firebirds had the combined lights/wipers indicator. 1972 was the last year for the split lights and wipers indicator.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to ask that as well, thanks for the answers and pics!!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mine 73 TA did not have the RTS emblem on the dash when I bought it in 1975.

Last edited by 73ta; 09-07-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RTS was not available until 1974 on Firebirds even though they used Radial tires in 1973.I believe RTS was used on Grand Am's and Grand Prix's in 1973 as a standard option ( I had 5 73 Grand Am's all with RTS ).And if any one is curious Pontiac used the same RTS name plates for the Firebird's as well as the G.P. and Grand Am.1974 was the first and only year Pontiac put the name plate on the glove box of the F-bodies.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All this being said, who has PHS showing their new T/A with "white line" tires ?? any pics of original cars?
I bet this went over well with sales LOL

Old 09-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce
All this being said, who has PHS showing their new T/A with "white line" tires ?? any pics of original cars?
I bet this went over well with sales LOL
I can't remember the magazine issue, road and track?...I think it is republished in your brookland or other Pontiac books with road tests.

The infamous 73 Super Duty road test. I believe it turned 13.8 at 103 on GR70-15 tires, showroom stock.

Anyone please correct me if necessary. This is going off my memory of several years.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:18 AM

FWIW, My '73 TA and several others I've seen have the RTS emblem on the dash. It's a July build date.

FF

Old 09-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce, the October issue of HPP contains a feature about Steve Schappaugh's Brewster Green SD T/A, and it wears its original white-lined tires. I had the car in my garage since Weds for tuning, and I just looked at the PHS today, which specifically says "GR70-15 WW Tires." The article provides info about the change from white lines to white letters too.

Regarding "Radial Tuned Suspension," I've searched through several Pontiac-printed 1973 documents including the Dealer Album, specific brochures, and Car Distribution Bulletin set, and vintage road tests, and I haven't seen the package referred to as "RTS" anywhere. There's no doubt a specifically-tuned suspension package was available (it's mentioned continually), but it's simply referred by such descriptions as "steel-belted radial tire handling package," as late as May 31, 1973. And I have several bulletins printed after that date.

It appears "RTS" was officially named in 1974, and was clearly referred to as a "new Radial Tuned Suspension package" in various sales documents, and its attributes are listed. There's even an entire page in the 1974 Dealer Album dedicated to it.

To those who claim "RTS" (in name only), was introduced in 1973, can you provide any factory documentation to support that? Just curious because I have nothing. And Steve's car, which originally had radial tires, doesn't have an instrument panel emblem.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks I will be looking that up!!
I didnt make any claims, gregg ( GonicGm) was over getting some parts and I had a bezel laying there and we got to discussing when RTS showed up. I wasnt 100% sure and so I started this thread, which has been helpful. I even went to the 74 guys and got a couple glove box door pics!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce, I never said you claimed anything. There are a couple who referred to "RTS" in 1973, and to them, I'm wondering if they have any factory documentation to support that. I sorted through all my literature, and the radial tire handling package wasn't ever referred to as "Radial Tuned Suspension" (again, in name only) during the 1973 model year.

At this point, it appears that having an "RTS" emblem on the dash of ANY 1973 Pontiac model may not be correct unless someone has literature that says otherwise. And for the record, I'm not saying I'm right. I'm hoping someone can provide factory documention, because I too, would like to know.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 1973 TA on the PHS has SR 70X15 WW $56.00.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella
Bruce, I never said you claimed anything. There are a couple who referred to "RTS" in 1973, and to them, I'm wondering if they have any factory documentation to support that. I sorted through all my literature, and the radial tire handling package wasn't ever referred to as "Radial Tuned Suspension" (again, in name only) during the 1973 model year.

At this point, it appears that having an "RTS" emblem on the dash of ANY 1973 Pontiac model may not be correct unless someone has literature that says otherwise. And for the record, I'm not saying I'm right. I'm hoping someone can provide factory documention, because I too, would like to know.

My '73 has an RTS emblem on the dash held in place by Juicy Fruit Bubble Gum. Do you think that's factory correct?

Old 09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73
My '73 has an RTS emblem on the dash held in place by Juicy Fruit Bubble Gum. Do you think that's factory correct?

Only if its period correct . You might have to do some forensics .

I have 3 73 Ta's ,none have rts anywhere on dash and in 31 years chasing these cars I have never seen rts anywhere on a 73.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

I understand this is an old thread, but it really has a lot of great information related to the early 70-72 cars and then the transition into the 73-74 cars.

Thank you for covering the split wiper and lights, would anyone be willing to chime in on the water temperature gauge temperature range change from 250 to 260?

Thank you in advance.

1970 TA owner

www.luhnperformance.com