Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Senior Chief

Just Starlight Black at the present time.

Thanks,

James

Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you have a number I can reach you at? I need enough to do 2 cars.

Thanks
Darrell

Old 04-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Senior Chief

Darrell,

I just sent you a PM.

Thanks,

James

Old 04-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Didn't get it.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Senior Chief

I tried again. This time it shows as sent.

Sorry,

James

Old 04-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

James,

I have a friend who is repainting his white 72 trans am and needs a set of welting. Do you have any white left, and if so, what is the best way for him to get some?

Old 04-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Senior Chief

Yes I still have Cameo White available. All I need is a PM with your freind's PayPal email address and I can send him an Invoice. they can also email me at jamie@citationindustries.com if they cannot PM me.

thanks for the referral!

Regards,

James

Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Sorry if this was in a previous post. Will you have another run of The Buc Red Welting? I’m afraid I missed the boat the first go around.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsTA View Post
Sorry if this was in a previous post. Will you have another run of The Buc Red Welting? I’m afraid I missed the boat the first go around.
I believe this is one of the wizard's Ebay listings..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trans-Am-Wh...0AAOSwYmZXM0NA

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Senior Chief

TimsTA and 77Canamman,

Yes I think I have about 25 sets of Buccaneer Red left, and that is my EBay offering. Feel free to go the EBay route, or if you want, just PM me your PayPal email address and I can send you an invoice.

Thank you very much for your interest.

James

Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 AM

Any polar white available now or in the future?

Old 04-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry jakes1970ta, Unfortunately not enough demand for Polar White at this time. I have had some customers that have used the Cameo White on their Polar White cars. Their comment to me was it didn't match exactly, but looked a lot better than the painted gray stuff they had. I assumed the paint was chipping off. Another option would be to paint the Cameo White Polar White. Not A TA did quite a bit of testing on painting the welting and posted earlier in the thread about his results and the products he recommended.

Thanks,

James

Old 04-04-2018, 04:54 PM

Thanks Wizard & 77 Canamman. ( My Brother in Law had a 77 Can Am! Was a real nice car!)

Old 04-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have owned 9 CA's, and loved every one of them.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you out of Lucy Blue?

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 04-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Senior Chief

cdoggy81,

I do still have Lucy blue. It was a special run for about 55 people. At the time, I think I charged $150 a set after a forum member discount, because there was a production minimum run of material. It was an attempt to run a limited production color. I think now most guys with the low production colors are choosing to paint either the Cameo White or the Starlight black welting. Not A TA posted earlier in this thread about his experiments.

Each paint manufacturer kind of had their own version of Lucy blue, so unfortunately there were a few guys that were not happy with the color match. That being said, if you would like to try some I would be happy to sell you a set.

Thanks,

James

Old 04-06-2018, 03:32 PM

Cdoggy81, I'll hang on to some samples of the unpainted Lucy Blue, clear coated Lucy Blue, and PPG BC/CC Lucy Blue over Cameo I'll give ya to take and compare with your car when you come over. That will give you more options and James won't need to ship you to ship a sample of the untouched Lucy Blue.

So it's been a year since I started the test. The samples were outside in direct sun area in the middle of my back yard 24/7 in S FL weather other than a couple days for a hurricane. I did not clean them during that time. When I went to determine some results today they looked really dirty and felt rough. After getting my reading glasses, I realized some over spray had drifted onto them from other projects. A bit of testing to try and clean them and I realized it was probably a black epoxy primer I use on Lab-14 parts since I could easily wash it off the Cameo and Lucy Blue unpainted welting but it took some clay bar action to remove it from the cleared and painted pieces.

The over spray didn't interfere with getting results though. I'm happy to say the Cameo and Lucy welting with no paint products did not appear to suffer from any undesirable effects like hardening/stiffening or fading. The pieces with clear coat, BC/CC, and Acrylic enamel with flex agent did not show any problems with chipping/peeling after being repeatedly flexed back and forth as well as twisted beyond what would be required to install the welting. This was done with the welting being in the sun when hot as well as after allowing to cool to ambient temp of 82. Our UV index today in the beginning of April is 9 out of 10, pretty much everything here suffers from UV damage much sooner than most of the country so to see the welting and paint hold up so well is impressive.

I'd thought I might see some differences in long term paint adhesion depending on whether the samples were shot bare or adhesion promoters were used and possibly whether different adhesion promoters held up better. So far they all seem the same. I'm going to try some low temp testing using my fridge and freezer next.

Here's some pics
In pic below from bottom up. Cameo with clear coat with partly cleaned off overspray, Cameo stock with overspray washed off, control piece of Cameo that was not out in sun, Lucy Blue with clear coat and over spray, Lucy Blue with over spray washed off, control piece ofLucy blue that was not out in sun.

Pic below shows how I could clean the over spray off the painted pieces with a bit of clay bar. Would have taken a long time to do them all nicely so I didn't bother since it didn't have any bearing on what I was testing.

In pics below you can see how much I bent and twisted each sample repeatedly. No cracking peeling or chipping occurred with any of the urethane's or acrylic enamel with flex agent..

So my findings from earlier testing continue to stand. Clean thoroughly with wax & grease removers. Rough up surface. Do not use any primers or sealers. Might as well use adhesion promoter. If you want the welting glossy like car body clear coat it. For more technical info on paint procedures look at my posts earlier in this thread. The most important finding today (to me at least) is the lack of UV damage on unpainted samples. This welting still gets my stamp of approval over any of the other brands I've used and is WELL worth the additional cost over other reproductions for looks, installation, paint-ability, etc. etc. Next I'll do some low and extremely low temp testing of some of the samples.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:02 PM

In the beginning of my paint tests I mentioned I was concentrating on determining if James welting would work well for painting and if so what procedures, materials etc. would work best. As I progressed I decided to put some of the other brands through some endurance testing under the same conditions. They did not perform nearly as well as you can see in the pic below which shows the silver/gray welting and the black welting using the same procedures and materials. Just slightly bending the samples after a year caused the paints to crack and lift/chip. My best guess as to why would be that the expansion/contraction rates of the material differs enough from the paint that over time the paint doesn't stay adhered to the welting after repeated heating/cooling cycles. In the winter here it may go down to high 40's at night but be 80's in the daytime. . If the paint piece is removed from the sample it is still very flexible and can be twisted without cracking.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:15 PM
Senior Chief

Hello John,

That's great news on how the welting is holding up in your testing. Thanks again for your efforts.

Regards,

James

Old 04-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi James,
Totally understandable about the different “shades” of blue. I totally commend your efforts in this & helping the TA community! Great product PERIOD!!!

John,
Same goes out to you too buddy. Between the subframe research & improvement parts you came up with as well as the time you took to paint & perform these tests we are thankful to have people like you in this hobby!!! I should be down there this Wednesday with all your stuff as well :-)

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!