Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Compressor blew up today.

So, in the market for a new one. Old one is an unrebuildable "oil-less" piece of refuse.

Need a 60 gal, upright, five HP, single stage, will not rule out 2 stage, I just don't have a need the extra pressure. Budget is up to $1500 so that rules out truly commercial units.

What I'd really like is a very high quality single stage ... but soon as prices get much above $1000 they kind of switch to lower spec 2 stage. Only want a 60 gal as shop space is at a very high premium.

Looking at a Quincy and an Ingersol-Rand ... both would come in about $1500 at my door. Both are 2 stage .... only way I can find the quality I want so far.

Anyone have experience with these brands in the "pro-sumer" level machines?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do not have "pro-sumer" experience but they are both big names in the industrial sector.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

have you consodered buying used?

just throwing it out there.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-08-2019, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't really have the time to look for a used one ... really need to order something within the next couple of days, even at that I'll be without air for a week or so.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Narrowed it down to the Quincy,

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0475_200350475

Or the Ingersoll-Rand,

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...461_200318461#

Quincy.
1. Funny 4 cylinder pump ... runs awful fast at 1300+ rpm
2. Says it has a 50,000 hr pump life .... sound like a tremendous exaggeration
3. Says it's made in the USA ... no way, it's some kind of Chinesium assembled here. (Further research ... they claim made in USA ... still think it's highly doubtful at this price point)
4. Has a name brand Baldor US made motor.
5. Excellent parts availability and support information

Ingersoll.
1. Definitely Chinesium of some kind.
2. More conventional pump turning at less that 1000 rpm
3. Cheapo motor
4. Could pick up at Home Depot and avoid $85 lift gate service.
5. Typical cast iron pump with 10-15,000 hour life

Both have crappy warranty support for this consumer level product. Both weigh about the same, perform about the same, have crappy pressure switches and drain valves. Both will be about $1500 by the time I get my hands on them.

Both are way better than my super crappy "6hp" oil-less Craftsman unit that lasted 15 years.

Has anyone had a place like Northern Tool deliver to a local freight office? It's a real pain to wait around for a truck, I can't see the road from my shop. I'd rather just drive 45 minutes and pick it up at a loading dock.

When my old compressor started blowing up .... I just let it run and watched it .... parts started falling out, started making worse and worse noises, kept running, no smoke ... appeared to be lots of plastic or pot metal parts cascading down the side of the tank. I've hated that thing for 15 years.

Last edited by dataway; 10-08-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm considering this one

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...r/p102441.html

BUT I really like this one.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p12265.html

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"

Last edited by Old Goat Racer; 10-08-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So far I am finding little to no difference between the various single stage, 60 gal, 3-5 hp models when it comes to performance .... I'd make a choice based on factory support, parts availability and ease of getting it to your shop.

When you jump up to the 2 stage, 60-80 gal, 5-7.5 hp ... the quality seems to go WAY up, pretty sure they know they are dealing with a different sort of customer for those. But again, performance and rating seem pretty much the same across the board for the name brands.

I'm probably going to go with the Ingersoll 2 stage due to it's more simple design.

The "Industrial Air" machines seem to be rated by customer as good as anything else out there. My only problem with that particular unit is the gauge panel mounted into the compressor/motor base .... it's a REAL pain if you have to fix a leak or replace anything mounted behind that panel. I'm also more partial to separate cylinders to aid in cooling.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Done ... ordered the Ingersoll and had it delivered to my local Home Depot, so no shipping or lift gate fee. Easier than having it shipped to the local freight office that is twice as far away. $1476 delivered.

Simplicity made the difference for me. Two separate big old school cylinders, sight glass, simple wire belt cage, almost no plastic on the whole thing, open layout makes maintenance easy.

Wish the outlet was on the same side as the pressure switch.

I'll swap over my drain valve extension from the old compressor and find a pressure switch that isn't garbage and I should be all set.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sorry to read of it, but thank you for the chuckle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
When my old compressor started blowing up .... I just let it run and watched it .... parts started falling out, started making worse and worse noises, kept running, no smoke ... appeared to be lots of plastic or pot metal parts cascading down the side of the tank. I've hated that thing for 15 years.
BAH-HA-HA!!

Sounds like you like yours about as much as I like mine!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Done ... ordered the Ingersoll and had it delivered to my local Home Depot, so no shipping or lift gate fee. Easier than having it shipped to the local freight office that is twice as far away. $1476 delivered.

Simplicity made the difference for me. Two separate big old school cylinders, sight glass, simple wire belt cage, almost no plastic on the whole thing, open layout makes maintenance easy.

Wish the outlet was on the same side as the pressure switch.

I'll swap over my drain valve extension from the old compressor and find a pressure switch that isn't garbage and I should be all set.
Dataway…I’m a little late to the show as you already purchased a compressor so just a few points.

The Quincy website says all of their reciprocating compressors are manufactured in Quincy, IL where the company began in 1920. Now also have a plant in AL and they DO have a plant in China which reportedly only produces global rotary screw compressors. A big feature of the Quincy’s is that they are USA manufactured…however the term “manufactured” can be open to interpretation.

I have an IR 2340L that I’ve had since 1999 so I can’t speak directly the current production models. I use mine regularly and with routine maintenance haven’t had any problems. Mine was marketed as a light industrial compressor, has the Baldor motor, and the compressor unit was made in Mexico. Not one problem with the pressure switch either. I hard wired the compressor. The only things I did was add some piping to the oil drain so easier to drain and added some piping/ball valve at the moisture drain. IR has a pretty good rep and if some stuff is Chinese I’m sure IR would have good QC oversight…but then again in this global economy

Old 10-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, the more I looked the more it did appear that the Quincy was for the most part manufactured in the US .... didn't seem to be reflected in any significant difference in quality compared to the IR. To be honest ... I was kind of thinking the Quincy had to have shortcuts to come in at the same price point as the foreign made IR.

The current IR like this "type 30" have a motor made in Mexico and pump made in India ... so at least not chinese. The model I bought is also designated "light industrial" so I'm hoping for the best ... it's definitely a large step above the singe stage, $1000 units.

Checked the date on my old compressor .... that piece of crap lasted 23 years, although there were MANY times I didn't use it because I knew the job I wanted to do would kill it. I took it apart ... one of the rods was broken in three pieces.

If I had my wits about me at the time I would have shoved the sand blaster nozzle into the compressor intake for added effect as it was destroying itself.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I'm sorry to read of it, but thank you for the chuckle!

BAH-HA-HA!!

Sounds like you like yours about as much as I like mine!

That thing made the gawd awful obnoxious noise. It wasn't necessarily the volume it was frequency ... like a two stroke dirt bike running full tilt next to your ear.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New compressor is in the shop now ... will be several days before I get it "modified" and hooked up the way I want.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a brute! I see IR in commercial shops around here.

Hope you are happy with it.

I just had a bad experience with a new irrigation pump so your thread caught my attention (may also be your compressor is a shiny object). The 3 hp Lincoln-brand motor on the pump overheated and tripped it's thermal protection. After 2 warranty replacements did the same, I spent more for a different brand that has a Baldor motor. Night and day. The new one barely gets warm. I suspect your compressor motor is a similar quality level.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went in to the local Quincy dealer to buy a new air compressor and they had a rebuilt two stage for half the price of the smaller single stage unit. So I bought the biggun. It's quite a beast and I can bead blast all day long. It does scare the crap out of me when it kicks on though!

Old 10-15-2019, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quincy is supposed to be great. I know 30 year ones still demand good prices.

Got the wheeled base done today, with vibration isolators. Rolls around like a shopping cart so I can wheel it right out of the corner to work on it.

Wired it up and checked it today, seems to work fine. Needs some modifications ... flywheel cooling fan is a joke, it blows air everywhere but over the cylinders. Did some experiments with some sheet metal and it looks easy enough to make an air deflector to improve the cooling dramatically.

When I know it works well enough that I won't be sending it back I'll add an aftercooler with an automatic drain valve.

Not quiet .... but WAY quieter than the direct drive oil-less I was using for years. One thing I like about it ... only piece of plastic on the whole thing is the cover of the pressure switch.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought this one. Very,very loud !
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p12265.html

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now for a good hose. Continental makes Good Year hose ?
What else is out there ?

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've ended up with Goodyear most of the time ... just more flexible than most others and at a reasonable price.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking on amazon the reviews say the goodyear hose now comes with continental on them ?

Everybody knows somthin.