THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72pontiac View Post
are you going to undermount that sink
yea undermount, I dont like the way top mount sinks look on stone countertops

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My 2014 Projects

Last year we installed a swim spa and added on to the deck around it. 2014's big task includes stripping and staining our log home. This will be my first attempt so anyone with any tips on materials, techniques, etc. is appreciated. Not a job I'm looking forward to but for the 10k & up estimates I got I'll give it a shot!

The other possible task is adding steel roofing in the Fall, not sure if it is something I can do or if I should farm it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	358017  

Old 04-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well guys, tomorrow my countertops get installed, pretty excited, the wife cant wait, the dust and mess has been driving her nuts, haha

so there was this little corner section on the base cabinets that was just unused space that my wife asked me to open up and put shelves. My wife wanted me to install one of those lazy susan corner cabinets, but I thought it would be too hard and I didnt want to cut the cabinet faces.

SO I just cut into the sides and reinforced them to give her access to that corner

then I lined the wall with particle board, and built a base of the floor of the cabinet out of 5/8s plywood

the cabinets werent square so I had to get creative with the plywood cutting

then I filled the seams with caulking and painted it with a color match outdoor paint (water resistant, but it really didnt match, it was lighter)

AND last but not least, shelves

She is a pretty happy with them, Im sure she will be ecstatic tomorrow with the countertops installed

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 04-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In the mean time, here is my morning prep area, haha

Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Senior Chief

Looks great!
I know that corners like that aren't the most easily accessible but to just not use it seems crazy. I have a corner like that but it is only accessable from one side (range is on left) and when I changed tops last time I installed rope lights in the back corner with a switch by the door. Really makes finding things easier. I wish I had used a door activated switch but live and learn.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
Well guys, tomorrow my countertops get installed, pretty excited, the wife cant wait, the dust and mess has been driving her nuts, haha

so there was this little corner section on the base cabinets that was just unused space that my wife asked me to open up and put shelves. My wife wanted me to install one of those lazy susan corner cabinets, but I thought it would be too hard and I didnt want to cut the cabinet faces.

SO I just cut into the sides and reinforced them to give her access to that corner

then I lined the wall with particle board, and built a base of the floor of the cabinet out of 5/8s plywood

the cabinets werent square so I had to get creative with the plywood cutting

then I filled the seams with caulking and painted it with a color match outdoor paint (water resistant, but it really didnt match, it was lighter)

AND last but not least, shelves

She is a pretty happy with them, Im sure she will be ecstatic tomorrow with the countertops installed
That was a great idea. I'll have to remember that when we start our kitchen project in the fall.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree - nicely done!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
That was a great idea. I'll have to remember that when we start our kitchen project in the fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I agree - nicely done!

Thanks guys, laziness, the true mother of ingenuity, haha

So Monday night I completely tore down the countertops, only problem was that the hot water iso valve for the sink failed open, so I had to isolate the water heater and drain downstream. Got the valve replaced pretty easily since it was compression fittings.

The counter guys called me at 7am saying they would be there in 5 minutes, so I got everything ready and they started bringing in the slabs
sink first

the Island next

Corbels needed a little gap filled, 1/16th so not bad

Corner in, they did a pretty good job on the seam

Last big piece

Then the piece behind the range

it took me a while to get the range top level with the counter, the little adjustable feet wouldnt adjust low enough and the threads were messed up so I had to cut them out and make some custom ones that would go low enough

and finally

and the counter is DONE

NOW if only the wife and I could agree on the backsplash

Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Installed the sink plumbing last night, looks great, it was a pain because the last since was 8inches deep on both bowls, this new one is 10.5 on one side and 9 on the other, and my wife wanted the disposal on the other side, so I had to tear out the drain piping and build up new stuff
This is how it looked prior to the countertop being installed

I installed the drain strainers (satin nickel to match everything in the house)

I then mocked up the piping and found that the drain would need to point the opposite direction and be about 3-4 inches shorter

And voila

hooked up the hoses to the faucet and leak checked everything and it worked great

Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that under sink **** is always fun!

I do plumbing & electrical, but I don't like it!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Yeah, that under sink **** is always fun!

I do plumbing & electrical, but I don't like it!
what? you dont love the smell of sewer and PVC glue in the morning... haha

Old 01-24-2016, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

Time to revive this old thread.
Winter is here and time to make some changes. The old flooring in the master bath was 25ish years old so time for an up-date.
Here is the before pic:

The old floor wasn't that bad, the area where the floor is missing is because I didn't take the "before" pic until I had already started.
The original plan was to just install ceramic tile. Somewhere along the line I mentioned that I could use an accent tile to cerate a decorative border. One thing lead to another and here is the end result.

Very happy with the results.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 06-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very nice tile work