Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM

Default Heater Delete

Yesterday I removed the heater hose from the back of the head to the heater core and plugged it so I could install a new HEI distributor. The vacuum advance would not clear the hose. I really don't want the heater anyway as I get too much hot air in the car in the summer with the hood scoops open. Will blocking the heater core off cause any heating issues in the engine? I've heard some opinions it could cause hot spots in the block before the t stat opens. If I removed the guts from the t stat and just used it as a restrictor plate would that work?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 AM
Suspended

Please don't delete your heater core it acts as a small raditor which helps keep the car cool. Without it you will lose some of your cooling abilty. The core may be small but it does help keep it cool by keeping it circulitating all the way around the system. The old heater delete cars back in the 60 were usully only out drag racing & not driving around all night cruising. So keep it in & make the vac advance fit on the other side if you need to.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vacuum canister should generally be on the driver's side anyway. Repositioning it would be the easiest/safest option in the long run I think.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My heater core is not hooked up and no heater or ac box at all. I do not have a heating issue. I clearanced the wp, smaller wp pulley and 4 gen electric fans runs 190 on a hot day.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Vacuum canister should generally be on the driver's side anyway. Repositioning it would be the easiest/safest option in the long run I think.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The heater helps cool the engine only if the heater is turned on and water is circulating through the heater core (which during the summer will make the interior of the car darn miserable). NASCAR Pontiacs never had heaters installed and did not overheat doing 500 miles pedal to the metal. An early Pontiac (or any Pontiac for that matter) with a properly functioning cooling system does not need the heater to assist in keeping the engine from overheating. Just saying.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM

I was told by another that the factory orientation was with the cannister on the drivers side. The distributor I took out of the car had it on the passenger side. I thought about installing it with the cannister on the drivers side but this car has a 200 4R transmission and it wouldn't clear the TV cable bracket. Guy at the speed shop yesterday who races a Pontiac told me it will make absolutely no difference how the water circulates through the motor. I got it running yesterday and took it out and ran it hard, no heat problem at all, never even reached 185 even after doing some full throttle passes. This '68 does not have a heater control valve, hot water is always present in the core and heat is shut on and off by flapper doors in the duct work. Even after putting an extra layer of insulation inside on the firewall I am still getting a ton of hot air in the car with the hood scoops open. A lot of the hot air I found was coming out the kick panels from air induced from the cowl vent passing by the heater core. This is a convertible, summer time cruiser so I won't miss the heater. I've got a good water pump, radiator, shroud and aluminum flex fan and don't have a heating issue. I've got full gauges and will keep an eye on it, but I really don't think it will cause a problem after yesterdays test drive.